• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Volkl Deacon 80/84

GoodKittens

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone have any promotional material from Volkl on the new Deacon 80 & 84? I had a brief demo on the 80 in 177 and they're spot on. Trying to get a demo on the 84 but my schedule hasn't lined up with that of the guys at the local shop.

Mainly wondering what the difference is between the 80 and 84: more metal, better base material, etc...? In the same way there were only slight differences in the RTM 84/86.

Been furiously googling but haven't come upon very much hard information.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was hoping to get on the 84 at Copper...but it was always out. At Mammoth, the rep couldn't make the trade fair due to weather. So, oh for two. I am hoping to get on it at SnowBasin next week. In the meantime this is not just a warmed over RTM. Shape of the ski is different, especially in the tip, it itakes from the narrower Deacons with a shorter more abrupt tip that will create a quicker turn in. Construction is different between the 80 and the 84 with the 84 being a more powerful ski with (IIRC) more metal. Binding design is also a redesigned Griffon derivative called a "Lowride" getting you a bit lower on the deck.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
Also curious about the Deacon 84. Was anyone able to get on it ? Opinions?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I've skied the 84, it is a better frontside all-mountain ski than the RTM is. Lot's of power but still easy to ski, it is still going to be a class benchmark.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the 84 at Copper last week, and it kicked my butt. Wait -- let's be accurate, it skied me. That isn't necessarily a criticism, it seemed really smooth in any case. But I couldn't bend it to save my life. @Ron was literally laughing at me. I have no idea if it was a tune issue or not, I just gave it back and licked my wounds.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the Deacon 84 today at a demo day at my local hill and - meh. My daily driver is the 17/18 RTM 84 and I LOVE it. Comparing it to the new Deacon felt like I was comparing a totally different ski. Yeah, it was smooth but, how can I say this, it felt like they cut the balls off of the RTM 84 and called it the Deacon. (Are Deacons allowed to get married? Just wondering.) I never got the feeling skiing the Deacon that I could plow through anything the way that I can with the RTM's. I talked to another guy who was there and owns a pair of RTM 84s and he felt the same way. Different strokes...

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@SBrown was skiing the deacon in 3-5" of cream cheese with push piles. the tail just wouldnt release/drift. Obviously, this was not the Deacon's intended use but Sbrown's a more than capable skier :)

TS
G

GoodKittens

Skier
I'm most curious about any difference in construction between the 80 & 84. I'm guessing the 84 is going to have more metal, either through an additional sheet or a slightly thicker sheet. Any videos or pictures I've been able to find are all Deacon 84 (blue ski), it seems like Volkl are promoting this ski the most in the new Deacon line, which is why I'm suspecting the 84 is going to have slightly more to offer than the 80 other than slightly different dimensions and top sheet colour.

As far as performance, I rode the 80 in 177 and liked it for what I want out of a ski like this. I wasn't able to get on the 84 and only had a brief chat with the Volkl rep. Others I know who have rode the 84 had fun with it and it is generating a lot of interest.

I have a 2018 RTM86 in 177 that has become my daily driver, and I agree with a previous poster that they aren't the same ski as the Deacon80/84. The RTM86 is a bulldozer - I'm not saying this is not a bad thing though. I have said to several ski friends that I would like a ski that had all the good parts of the RTM86 but with a bit of 15meter'ish "SL/GS cheater" personality. When I demoed the Deacon 80 it felt like that ski. I doubt very much the Deacons would plough through crud type conditions the way the RTM86 do.

I really liked the Deacon 80 and am very interested in getting on the 84. Your experience and expectations may differ.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where the old RTM 80 and 84 were basically the same ski, just width differences, the 86 was different. The new Deacon's, are different with the 80 and 84, with the 84 being more in everything.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown was skiing the deacon in 3-5" of cream cheese with push piles. the tail just wouldnt release/drift. Obviously, this was not the Deacon's intended use but Sbrown's a more than capable skier :)

It was awesome on the sastrugi! (as long as I was going straight)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I skied the 84 at Copper last week, and it kicked my butt. Wait -- let's be accurate, it skied me. That isn't necessarily a criticism, it seemed really smooth in any case. But I couldn't bend it to save my life. @Ron was literally laughing at me. I have no idea if it was a tune issue or not, I just gave it back and licked my wounds.

:eek::eek::eek:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Probably the tune.

I rarely get to ski cheater or near race skis, so I really jumped those at SIA (74 Deacon 178, Fischer RC4 The Curv 178, Blizzard WRC 175, Stockli Laser GS 182?, Laser AX 175, Head Rebel W.C. iSpeed Pro 183/19.7, Atomic Midwide X9 175, Atomic G9 183/19.4. Just pigged out.) (All good/great skis, but favorites in bold.)

I asked a Volkl rep, Mo, which Deacon he'd recommend for me on that particular day (2-5" light fresh, turning to chop/crud) - last year's narrower carryovers or this year's additions? And he said he'd recommend the original, the 74. (The tune, on this, was perfect.)

Man, it was delightful. Not like any of the RTMs I've tried over the years; though, most recently, I've really loved those RTM 86s. If the wider versions of the Deacons are as good as the 74, a real improvement over many of the RTMs, but also quite different - still versatile, but more race-like, maybe. Combined with damp and smooth.

TS
G

GoodKittens

Skier
I found a bit of profile & construction information on the Deacon84 from a few European websites and then assisted by Google translate:

https://www.lugaresdenieve.com/?q=es/reportaje/nuevo-deacon-84-volkl-2020-esqui-todoterreno

https://kmsport.pl/blog/2019/01/23/narty-volkl-deacon-2020/

https://www.levnelyze.cz/deacon-84.htm

Deacon84 Czech.jpg
Deacon84 Spanish.jpg

Paul Oberin

Skier
I was lucky enough to demo a set of Deacon 84 skis at Copper mountain.

As a previous owner of several sets of RTM 84 skis I do think they are a much better ski myself than the latest RTM 84, the reintroduction of Titanal and a higher grade of base p tex should help justify the price tag.

I was disappointed when Volkl dropped the Titanal from the RTM84 and at the same time reduced the base down to a 2100 density a few years back, I felt although they were still a good ski they had lost that value for money, the new Deacon 84 has a base Ptex of 4504.

The biggest difference I noticed on the new Deacon 84 is that they have significantly more tip rocker than the RTM84's, for the tip to re-engage it will require the skier to edge them over a fair bit more on groomed snow, at the same time the extra tip rocker may make them better in softer chopped up snow, I would like to see Volkl reduce the rocker back to what the RTM 84 had, I think it would make the ski more versatile and suit a greater range of skiers.

Overall I would be happy to use them as an all round ski and I have a set on order for myself as I think they will sell well.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This Volkl lover had the chance to sample the Deacon 84 in a 177 length. Sweet looking hybrid supports a Titanal frame giving the solid feel that I love. Less clanky than my M5’s with a nice lowrider profile. Requires some input to put them on edge but they can carve a line. Blasted thru some wind loaded super steep powder moguls on Skyehawk Headwall. Drop cut slashed their way into heart on the way down. This ski could easily find a home in my quiver. Not of huge fan of the hollow sound this ski and some of other Volkl's make while skiing. Would be a great choice as a one quiver ski for the upper level crowd. Skis like a lighter friendlier version of the Mantra with better handling. Another ski that Volkl will do well with.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
This Volkl lover had the chance to sample the Deacon 84 in a 177 length. Sweet looking hybrid supports a Titanal frame giving the solid feel that I love. Less clanky than my M5’s with a nice lowrider profile. Requires some input to put them on edge but they can carve a line. Blasted thru some wind loaded super steep powder moguls on Skyehawk Headwall. Drop cut slashed their way into heart on the way down. This ski could easily find a home in my quiver. Not of huge fan of the hollow sound this ski and some of other Volkl's make while skiing. Would be a great choice as a one quiver ski for the upper level crowd. Skis like a lighter friendlier version of the Mantra with better handling. Another ski that Volkl will do well with.

What length Mantra do you ski? Would you go with the 177cm Deacon or 182?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
What length Mantra do you ski? Would you go with the 177cm Deacon or 182?
My Mantra’s are 177cm. Demoed the Deacon in a 177cm. Own several wider skis in the 182-184 range so your question is the one that I would need to resolve also. Very happy with the performance of the ski in 177cm as it feels true to length but I have not skied the longer version. I am a daily skier turning 60 later in the season so tend to size down rather than up.

IceMeister

Booting up
Skier
Skied Deacon lowride 80 and 84 past weekend. First was 84 - very stiff good for my type of sking only on steep, really steep runs. Cut through ice, beatifuly. On easy trails was so hard to bend this ski to turn. Burned my legs. However, the real fun was at Deacon lowride 80 (177) with slightly softer feel and unbelivable 3D cut which does exactly as advertised... Turns quick on the short turn and it does not undercut on the longer (faster turn). Also great on the North East steep ice trails. We killed it and loved it so much that we simply went to large local ski shop and paid for 2 pairs to be delivered sometime after August relase this year (2020). We loved SD lowride 80 (177). Great ski!!!

whumber

Putting on skis
Skier
Pre-ordered a pair of these in 177cm based on a recommendation from a friend, previously was on the RTM 84s, and finally got to ski them today. Really impressed so far, feel very solid but noticeably snappier than the RTM 84s. The ski also feels like it has multiple gears as you lay it over more, I assume this is the 3D sidecut, which I'm really liking so far. Was able to ski a few easy bumps and they seemed well behaved. I think the extra rocker in the tip makes them a bit more forgiving but I need to ski more to have a meaningful opinion on this, early season bumps don't really count.

Sponsor

Staff online