• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Volkl Deacon 80/84

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Fischer RC One GT 86 also has a three radius sidecut, and I'll be interested in comparing them to the Deacons 80 & 84. ( I wonder which makers of these 3D/3 radius skis got the idea first, and which is copying or adding to that type of design, if not both?)

From one day on the RC One 86 @ 182, the 3 radius seems to add a long turn GS like ability to start with, and then a more slalom-like turn and feel once/if one digs in more, precise and dependable; at the same time, with some rocker and edge release to slarve a bit. Great in crud, or on groomers - either smooth or uneven.

I'll be interested to see if the Deacon 3 radius does something similar, or different, perhaps without the characteristic initial "heavier" feel of many Fischers.

I found the narrower Deacon 74/178 to compare very favorably to the Fischer Curv of similar width (74/178).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder which makers of these 3D/3 radius skis got the idea first

Isn't this essentially the same thing Fischer was touting when they launched the Progressor series over a decade ago? And isn't it the case that all skis have an "uneven" sidecut - i.e. typically tight in the forebody, straighter at the waist, and in-between along the tail? Roughly speaking?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't know. I posted to find out more. Thanks, @Tony S . I've never tried the Progressor, and can't recall skiing another ski with the multiple turn but integrated and dialed in feel of the Fischer RC One Gt 86, in my relative ignorance. It's as if it had two skis in one, with both a dialed in short turn and a dialed in long turn ability in the same ski - even in the same turn, if that makes sense. But that feel has me attentive to a similar feel in other skis with 3d/3 radius cuts, since I liked it a lot, very versatile and for me unusual.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know. I posted to find out more. Thanks, @Tony S . I've never tried the Progressor, and can't recall skiing another ski with the multiple turn but integrated and dialed in feel of the Fischer RC One Gt 86, in my relative ignorance. It's as if it had two skis in one, with both a dialed in short turn and a dialed in long turn ability in the same ski - even in the same turn, if that makes sense. But that feel has me attentive to a similar feel in other skis with 3d/3 radius cuts, since I liked it a lot, very versatile and for me unusual.

I guess what I was remembering was "dual radius." I kind of stand by my suspicion, though, that these are all just marketing terms to describe something that is neither new nor unique. Happy to be disabused if someone really knows something.

https://www.skimag.com/.amp/gear/fischer-progressor-9-2009

Fischer builds two radii into the Progressor's sidecut: a tight 13 meters in the tip, for quick initiation, and a mellower 17 from mid-forebody to tail, so it won't jet back across the fall line too abruptly.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I kind of stand by my suspicion, though, that these are all just marketing terms to describe something that is neither new nor unique.

Does that mean the deal for the bridge in lower Manhattan is off?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Isn't this essentially the same thing Fischer was touting when they launched the Progressor series over a decade ago? And isn't it the case that all skis have an "uneven" sidecut - i.e. typically tight in the forebody, straighter at the waist, and in-between along the tail? Roughly speaking?

I owned progressors 9+ and will probably buy some Ficher RC ones. The Progressors were good, The Rc ones are magical. They are the first narrow Fischers I have liked, many turns shapes, in many snow conditions and never hard to ski, it feels full cambered when you want that, and full rockered where you would that. I also think that skier weight wont matter much on it because of how easily it decambers.

whumber

Putting on skis
Skier
I think I finally found a downside to the variable radius behavior. I've been skiing the Deacon 84s pretty much exclusively so far and I really like them. Today, however, I finally took out the Mantra M5s as we have enough snow in the woods to do some tree runs. On my way back to the car I was cruising back and decided to really lay over the skis, expecting them to turn into quasi-slalom skis, but alas they stayed the same radius, I wasn't moving fast enough to support that much angle at that radius, and thus I just tipped over like the first time I tried a FIS GS ski. :roflmao:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I finally found a downside to the variable radius behavior. I've been skiing the Deacon 84s pretty much exclusively so far and I really like them. Today, however, I finally took out the Mantra M5s as we have enough snow in the woods to do some tree runs. On my way back to the car I was cruising back and decided to really lay over the skis, expecting them to turn into quasi-slalom skis, but alas they stayed the same radius, I wasn't moving fast enough to support that much angle at that radius, and thus I just tipped over like the first time I tried a FIS GS ski. :roflmao:

LOL. This one made my day.

Sponsor

Staff online