• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Völkl Kendo 88

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I will preface this review with the statement that I never really warmed up to previous generations of the Kendo. This does not mean it was a bad ski, not at all; I just never liked its attributes. There are members here such as @KingGrump who loved the skis and have owned numerous pairs, but me? I was more of a Brahma guy.

With that said, I really like the new Kendo 88. It isn’t just the new construction, but a new shape (shared with the Mantra 102) with an elliptical sidecut gives it a feel unlike anything I have experienced from Völkl in this class. The Kendo 88’s playfulness and ease is far different from the outgoing model to the point when asked by @KingGrump what I thought about the new Kendo, I replied that he wouldn’t like it. He asked “Why?” I said “Because I like it.”

Insider tip: Still runs true to size.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those looking for a playful charger without a limit.
Who is it not for?
The lightest finesse skiers might get overpowered -- but that's why Völkl makes a Kanjo.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
163, 170, 177, 184
Dimensions
129-88-111
Radius
18.6m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Kendo 88’s playfulness and ease is far different from the outgoing model to the point when asked by @KingGrump what I thought about the new Kendo, I replied that he wouldn’t like it. He asked “Why?” I said “Because I like it.”

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
I felt similarly uninspired by Kendos I have skied in the past. At SugarFest this weekend I tried the NEW Kendo, and the Deacon 80. Lots of pop in both. The 3D Ridge gives the tips and tails one turn radius while underfoot is a tighter radius. They turn very quickly if you push them out, and gave me a smooth steady arc in bigger turns.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The new 2020 Kendo is my 6th pair of Kendo since 2011. The Kendo has been my DD since 2011. Had many other skis at the same time that try to dethrone the Kendo. Those skis included Kastle, Stocki, Fischer, Atomic and other Volkls. None succeeded.

The gen 1 ran for couple seasons. 2011 & 2012. The ski was full cambered with no rocker. Had 2 pairs. Quick short turns was one of the ski's forte.
The 2nd gen started in 2013 and ran until 2015. Cambered with front rocker. The front rocker makes the ski much smoother in the bumps but lost the quick tip engagement on the groomed. Went through a pair.
The 3rd gen started in 2016 and ran through 2019. Cambered with front and tail rockers. The addition of the tail rocker makes the ski delightful in the bumps and crud. Drifting the tail in the bumps was easy. Still a decent rebound out of the turn. Put 90 days on a 2016 and it was toast. The current 2018 pair logged 55 days from last season.

The 2020 is the forth iteration of the Kendo. Skied the 2018 for a day before getting on the 2020 for 2 days. Couple days of hard snow and a day of soft slush.
I hand tuned both skis with 1/3 edges and my usual early season prep. The 2020 ski feels much heavier than the 2018 even though they are the same size.
The tip engagement in on the 2020 is sluggish and vague. The edge feel doesn't feel like a pair of Kendo. Rather mute. The signature dampness from the previous Kendo is missing. Replaced with a much higher level of vibration and harshness. Not a good thing.
The biggest disappointment of the new Kendo is the lack of rebound out of the turn. The rebound is reminiscent of the non-cambered gen 4 Mantra. As is, the ski is a dog on groomed. In terrain, the ski is much looser in handling. It drifts, skids and smears well. Just wish for more feel and the right kind of feed back. The 2020 ski lost that Volkl feel.

IMO, The M5 Mantra feels more of the replacement for the out going Kendo. The M5 Mantra is a pretty good feeling ski. Logged 50 days on it last season. Gave the 2018 Kendo a good run for the money. First pair of skis since 2011 to do that. Wish they would skinny it down to an 88 and increase torsional rigidity. That would make for a proper new Kendo.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new 2020 Kendo is my 6th pair of Kendo since 2011. The Kendo has been my DD since 2011. Had many other skis at the same time that try to dethrone the Kendo. Those skis included Kastle, Stocki, Fischer, Atomic and other Volkls. None succeeded.

The gen 1 ran for couple seasons. 2011 & 2012. The ski was full cambered with no rocker. Had 2 pairs. Quick short turns was one of the ski's forte.
The 2nd gen started in 2013 and ran until 2015. Cambered with front rocker. The front rocker makes the ski much smoother in the bumps but lost the quick tip engagement on the groomed. Went through a pair.
The 3rd gen started in 2016 and ran through 2019. Cambered with front and tail rockers. The addition of the tail rocker makes the ski delightful in the bumps and crud. Drifting the tail in the bumps was easy. Still a decent rebound out of the turn. Put 90 days on a 2016 and it was toast. The current 2018 pair logged 55 days from last season.

The 2020 is the forth iteration of the Kendo. Skied the 2018 for a day before getting on the 2020 for 2 days. Couple days of hard snow and a day of soft slush.
I hand tuned both skis with 1/3 edges and my usual early season prep. The 2020 ski feels much heavier than the 2018 even though they are the same size.
The tip engagement in on the 2020 is sluggish and vague. The edge feel doesn't feel like a pair of Kendo. Rather mute. The signature dampness from the previous Kendo is missing. Replaced with a much higher level of vibration and harshness. Not a good thing.
The biggest disappointment of the new Kendo is the lack of rebound out of the turn. The rebound is reminiscent of the non-cambered gen 4 Mantra. As is, the ski is a dog on groomed. In terrain, the ski is much looser in handling. It drifts, skids and smears well. Just wish for more feel and the right kind of feed back. The 2020 ski lost that Volkl feel.

IMO, The M5 Mantra feels more of the replacement for the out going Kendo. The M5 Mantra is a pretty good feeling ski. Logged 50 days on it last season. Gave the 2018 Kendo a good run for the money. First pair of skis since 2011 to do that. Wish they would skinny it down to an 88 and increase torsional rigidity. That would make for a proper new Kendo.
Told ya. ;)

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
Hum... I own a 2016 that I just love... Maybe I should stock some older version... or maybe a 2020 with a plate? ;)

Sponsor