• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 2.36.11 PM.png
Two well-established names in Völkl and Nordica are attacking the upper 80-90mm segment in two different ways, but with model names that have been around for a while. The Kendo 88 has an all-new shape, and the Enforcer 88 is steamrolling into a whole new segment for itself.

It is no secret that I have never been in love with the Kendo since it came out over a decade ago. It just never did anything for me. It was like a breakup where I was the one saying, “It’s not you ... it’s me." And really, that's true: the Kendo was a very good ski, and sales showed it. For many skiers, it was a much better Mantra, especially when the Mantra was 98 mm underfoot. But enough of a history lesson, let's talk about the new Kendo. The new Kendo is an “Oh my” ski in that George Takai sort of way. The new elliptical sidecut that is shared with the also-oh-my-worthy Mantra 102 sets the Kendo apart from the rest of the class as well as its previous generations. There is a lightness and playfulness that eluded the previous generations, and I believe this has to do with the new core and sidecut. The new Kendo is the Kendo I always hoped it should be.

Is it me, or does it seem that Nordica is going a bit overboard with the Enforcer name? It all started with the reintroduction of the name a few seasons back (now the the Enforcer 100), then Nordica added the 93, the 110, the 115 Pro, and now an 88 and a 104. What is next, the 78 and 83? At what point is it oversaturation? Honestly, it may not matter, because each ski is very, very good in its own right. But there is too much confusion, and I honestly do not see the 88 increasing sales for Nordica because I think almost every sale will come at the cost of an Enforcer 93 sale. In the long run, I think having both the 88 and 93 creates more questions for consumers than answers. The 88, like the 93, is an all-mountain-shaped ski but with more frontside attributes. This makes it a better ski than the 93 and more off-piste-oriented than the Kendo and gives it more separation from its big brother, the Enforcer 100.
  • Why choose the Kendo 88? You want to charge, but you don’t need to. But when you need to, you'll be glad you wanted to.
  • Why choose the Enforcer 88? The first thing you do is head into the trees because you just want to play, then you hit some bumps, then look for some cut-up snow. The Enforcer 88 could be one of the most versatile 88s on the market
  • Insider tip: The Kendo runs true to size but the Enforcer still runs short; don’t dismiss sizing up.
  • Bonus tip: For @Tom K.: Some still have the Brahma as the ski that all others in this segment are compared to, which is still true. The Brahma is indeed the best of both of these skis, by no means a compromise.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Philpug!

After much gnashing of the teeth and twisting of the brain, I decided on the Enforcer 88s to go with my 100s.

I even got the same bindings, just to keep everything as similar feeling as possible (Salomon STH2-13).

And thanks to @SkiEssentials for taking good care of a faithful Pugski member!

winkdc

Booting up
Skier
How does the Völkl perform in hard pack conditions?

I am technically a good skier and used to be aggressive but at 50 with young kids will mostly be on groomers- hopefully some steeps And occasionally pow and moguls without them. And then will ski east where I grew up and used to love the ice and my racing SL - rather than soft - things change as you get older! Is Brahma 88 a good choice? Seems to be but question and I won’t be able to demo. Thanks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Of the three 88's, The Kendo 88 will be the best on hard snow.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the great review! You say the Brahma is better than either... How would you put the navigators in this group?
I am still a huge Navigator 90 fan. It is very mich like the Enforcer 88 but with a better tail for on piste. If you can find some of these for a blow out price..you can't go wrong.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought a pair of the Enforcer 88's. Why?

"Why choose the Enforcer 88? The first thing you do is head into the trees because you just want to play, then you hit some bumps, then look for some cut-up snow. The Enforcer 88 could be one of the most versatile 88s on the market"

Even though I will be 65 at the beginning of this ski season, that sentence in your review describes me!

Rick G

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I definitely prefer the Enforcer 88's over the 93's.

A Western skier could be well served with an Enforcer 88 and an Enforcer 104 as their two skis of choice.

Of course the same could be said of a duo using a Kendo and Mantra 102, a Brahma and Rustler 11, Atlas and Citadel, Laser and Stormrider, etc....

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
I am still a huge Navigator 90 fan. It is very mich like the Enforcer 88 but with a better tail for on piste. If you can find some of these for a blow out price..you can't go wrong.
To follow up on this discussion I am going back and forth between purchasing a pair of Brahma 88's 180 cm or Navigator 90's at 186cm. Is one more "forgiving" or user friendly than the other? Currently skiing Liberty VMT 82's at 179cm but looking for something a bit wider. Spend most time on front side groomers. I am leaning towards the Brahma's but see great comments on Navigator's.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Navigator is much more friendly than the Brahma but if you are looking fo ra complement to the VMT 82, I would go into the mid to upper 90mm range.

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
The Navigator is much more friendly than the Brahma but if you are looking fo ra complement to the VMT 82, I would go into the mid to upper 90mm range.
Thank you for the input. Very helpful. Not looking to compliment the VMT's as I think my son is taking them. Just looking for a new ride. Only other ski I am looking at is 2019 Black Crows Orb at 183 cm length. Thinking of just going with Navigator's.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you for the input. Very helpful. Not looking to compliment the VMT's as I think my son is taking them. Just looking for a new ride. Only other ski I am looking at is 2019 Black Crows Orb at 183 cm length. Thinking of just going with Navigator's.
In that case, the Nav 90...is a good option especially if you can find some good NOS (New Old Stock) since it is out of the line.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
How does the Stormrider 88 compare with this group of skis. I am trying to decide between the Enforcer 88, Brahma and SR.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does the Stormrider 88 compare with this group of skis. I am trying to decide between the Enforcer 88, Brahma and SR.
The SR is going to be a bit smoother and dampened. Refinement is what the extra 50% in cost is buying you.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got to ski my Enforcer 88's 179cm yesterday. I am liking them very much! I will be writing a review.

Rick G

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
The SR is going to be a bit smoother and dampened. Refinement is what the extra 50% in cost is buying you.

How would you compare sizing/sizes between the Stormrider 88 and Enforcer 88? Just to confirm the Enforcer 88 is rocker-camber-rocker while the Stormrider 88 is rocker-camber-flat? Enforcer 88 186 vs. Stormrider 88 in 186, or does the flatter tail of the Stormrider make it ski “longer” compared to the Enforcer 88?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How would you compare sizing/sizes between the Stormrider 88 and Enforcer 88? Just to confirm the Enforcer 88 is rocker-camber-rocker while the Stormrider 88 is rocker-camber-flat? Enforcer 88 186 vs. Stormrider 88 in 186, or does the flatter tail of the Stormrider make it ski “longer” compared to the Enforcer 88?
I would ski the Enforcer 88 in a 179 and the Stormrider in the 177 and be perfectly happy.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
I would ski the Enforcer 88 in a 179 and the Stormrider in the 177 and be perfectly happy.

As a clarification...I recently spent a few days on the Enforcer 94 @ 186...I’m assuming I would also enjoy the Enforcer 88 @ 186, but not sure which Stormrider 88 to compare 177 or 186? Do the Stormrider have a flatter tail profile? I’m at 6’2” - 230lbs

Sponsor

Staff online