• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a clarification...I recently spent a few days on the Enforcer 94 @ 186...I’m assuming I would also enjoy the Enforcer 88 @ 186, but not sure which Stormrider 88 to compare 177 or 186? Do the Stormrider have a flatter tail profile? I’m at 6’2” - 230lbs
The 186 in the Stormrider for sure.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Enforcer 88 and the Stormrider 88 have a different feel, and utility, to me - two mostly great skis. The SR 88 has a faithfulness to carving that is strong, wonderful, carried over also to the off piste, for the most part successfully. But as a result, it starts to feel a bit glued to the slope and heavy as things get more uneven, powdery or cruddy (the SR 95 more so, albeit at deeper levels): one is then dialed in carving through stuff, getting heavier as things get deeper, even though the wider, slightly buoyant tip helps. If you want that emphasis on a near perfect carve plus some tip uplift for off piste, etc., go for the SR.

If you want a bit more informal and 3D feel off piste, a more ready pivot/slarve, and a bit more versatility and playfulness as the snow flies, or on leftovers, go for the Enforcer 88. (In the right conditions, I get a "can do almost anything" feeling on this ski, and its older brother, the improved Enforcer 100.)

Or pick the Brahma as somewhere in the middle, successfully also. (With, to me, an emphasis on wonderful freeride railing, short turns or long.)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want a bit more informal and 3D feel off piste, a more ready pivot/slarve, and a bit more versatility and playfulness as the snow flies, or on leftovers, go for the Enforcer 88. (In the right conditions, I get a "can do almost anything" feeling on this ski, and its older brother, the improved Enforcer 100.)

I concur. I've been in Sun Valley for a week, with no new snow. The Enforcer 88s have been almost perfect on the groomed, and almost perfect in the bumps.

In one set of skis.

Sadly, the Enforcer 100s have had a relaxing week at the spa.

ccac0303

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Two well-established names in Völkl and Nordica are attacking the upper 80-90mm segment in two different ways, but with model names that have been around for a while. The Kendo 88 has an all-new shape, and the Enforcer 88 is steamrolling into a whole new segment for itself.

It is no secret that I have never been in love with the Kendo since it came out over a decade ago. It just never did anything for me. It was like a breakup where I was the one saying, “It’s not you ... it’s me." And really, that's true: the Kendo was a very good ski, and sales showed it. For many skiers, it was a much better Mantra, especially when the Mantra was 98 mm underfoot. But enough of a history lesson, let's talk about the new Kendo. The new Kendo is an “Oh my” ski in that George Takai sort of way. The new elliptical sidecut that is shared with the also-oh-my-worthy Mantra 102 sets the Kendo apart from the rest of the class as well as its previous generations. There is a lightness and playfulness that eluded the previous generations, and I believe this has to do with the new core and sidecut. The new Kendo is the Kendo I always hoped it should be.

Is it me, or does it seem that Nordica is going a bit overboard with the Enforcer name? It all started with the reintroduction of the name a few seasons back (now the the Enforcer 100), then Nordica added the 93, the 110, the 115 Pro, and now an 88 and a 104. What is next, the 78 and 83? At what point is it oversaturation? Honestly, it may not matter, because each ski is very, very good in its own right. But there is too much confusion, and I honestly do not see the 88 increasing sales for Nordica because I think almost every sale will come at the cost of an Enforcer 93 sale. In the long run, I think having both the 88 and 93 creates more questions for consumers than answers. The 88, like the 93, is an all-mountain-shaped ski but with more frontside attributes. This makes it a better ski than the 93 and more off-piste-oriented than the Kendo and gives it more separation from its big brother, the Enforcer 100.
  • Why choose the Kendo 88? You want to charge, but you don’t need to. But when you need to, you'll be glad you wanted to.
  • Why choose the Enforcer 88? The first thing you do is head into the trees because you just want to play, then you hit some bumps, then look for some cut-up snow. The Enforcer 88 could be one of the most versatile 88s on the market
  • Insider tip: The Kendo runs true to size but the Enforcer still runs short; don’t dismiss sizing up.
  • Bonus tip: For @Tom K.: Some still have the Brahma as the ski that all others in this segment are compared to, which is still true. The Brahma is indeed the best of both of these skis, by no means a compromise.

Can you share your more detail thoughts in terms of what aspects of brahma is the better one among those 3 skis?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil's skis go way past 100% , all the way to 120%
That's like going to 12 -> 1 better than 11, a full 2 better than 10 !!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Couldn’t pass up a Spring deal on a set of 184cm Kendo 88 skis, so I will have a new set of daily drivers for typical Ontario Canada conditions. Should grip firm groomers in the morning and be decent in the afternoon crud(getting them to send me the heaviest pair they have in stock in case they vary much).
Mounting on the most forward rec line(about 1.5cm behind the Enforcer 88) to make them a little more playful. Bright yellow bindings to make my “Dad skis” more exciting too! Lol

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrat's Greg.
I was chewing over which 88 and am going with an Enforcer 88 179. I'm grabbing it bundled with an Attack2 13 from Corbetts. However I've been hoarding a new older Attack 13 demo that I'm going to have installed. My travel 2SQ for next year will probably be this Enforcer 88 179 and a DPS F106 178, which also has the older Attack 13 demo. This lets me hop on a plane with 2 sets of skis and 1 set of bindings. FYI: Corbetts retail is shutdown , but they are open for online orders via their website.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Congrat's Greg.
I was chewing over which 88 and am going with an Enforcer 88 179. I'm grabbing it bundled with an Attack2 13 from Corbetts. However I've been hoarding a new older Attack 13 demo that I'm going to have installed. My travel 2SQ for next year will probably be this Enforcer 88 179 and a DPS F106 178, which also has the older Attack 13 demo. This lets me hop on a plane with 2 sets of skis and 1 set of bindings. FYI: Corbetts retail is shutdown , but they are open for online orders via their website.

Ordered my 17th pair of skis and 23rd pair of bindings from Corbetts today so I get all their emails about store hours I’m afraid. Haha
Will get them and the Fisher 102 FR stone ground in the Fall as I’m sure the Kendos like every new ski will need it.
Pondered getting the Enforcer 88 or Brahma 88 but liked the better hard snow grip, sizing and longer turning radius/higher speed limit on the Kendo’s although all of them are great.

Trying to go down to three skis next year-Kendo 88 for harder snow, Fisher 102FR for soft/bit of snow and Bibby’s for powder. Fishers and Bibby’s go out West on trips and Kendo/Fishers for most days here.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Can't say a word about the Kendos but picked up a pair of Enforcer 88's for my 'front side ski' in the PNW. Got about 5 days on them and love em. The tails seem to hook up a lot more than their big brothers,the 100's and much quicker edge to edge. They aren't an ice skate but will dig a trench in softer snow. Pretty good in the bumps and will kick through the crud pretty well, again not to the 100's level. All in all very happy with the choice.

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
In that case, the Nav 90...is a good option especially if you can find some good NOS (New Old Stock) since it is out of the line.
Phil, i did find some old new stock on the Navigator 90's. Question is what length? I can go 179 or 186 as they have both. Any thoughts? i am 6'2" and 190. My current skis are Head Monster 83 in 177 and Liberty VMT 82 in 179. Thoughts?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, i did find some old new stock on the Navigator 90's. Question is what length? I can go 179 or 186 as they have both. Any thoughts? i am 6'2" and 190. My current skis are Head Monster 83 in 177 and Liberty VMT 82 in 179. Thoughts?
If you don't feel either of those skis feel short and limted, the 179 should be good.

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
If you don't feel either of those skis feel short and limted, the 179 should be good.
Phil, one pair I'm looking at has Marker Griffon 13 Demo bindings and one pair has Salomon Warden MNC 13 Demo. The skis are in like condition but the pair with the Maker bindings are about $50 more. Any thoughts on that? I have never used the Salomons before.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, one pair I'm looking at has Marker Griffon 13 Demo bindings and one pair has Salomon Warden MNC 13 Demo. The skis are in like condition but the pair with the Maker bindings are about $50 more. Any thoughts on that? I have never used the Salomons before.
What bindings are on your other skis, Marker or something else? If Marker, go that way. If other, the Salomon. MArker had a negative delta angle that could effect feel. If you are used to it an like it, great, if not it could feel different.

Last edited:

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
What bindings are on your other skis, Marker or something else? If Marker, go that way. If other, the Salomon. MArker had a negative delta angle that could effect feel. If you are used to it an like it, great, if not it could feel different.
My other skis both have Tyrolia Attack2 13's on them.

Tydog96

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
are the 2019-20, and the 2020-21, of both skis just cosmetic between these last two year models? Thanks.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
are the 2019-20, and the 2020-21, of both skis just cosmetic between these last two year models? Thanks.

Yes, just cosmetic changes for both this year.

First year of both models season(2019/20) with the previous versions of the Kendo 88 just called the Kendo. Old version was 90mm underfoot and lacked the 3D radius and Titanal frame.
Enforcer 88 a brand new ski added to the Enforcer line last year and just top sheet change for this year.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, just cosmetic changes for both this year.

First year of both models season(2019/20) with the previous versions of the Kendo 88 just called the Kendo. Old version was 90mm underfoot and lacked the 3D radius and Titanal frame.
Enforcer 88 a brand new ski added to the Enforcer line last year and just top sheet change for this year.
Are you sure? I own the Santa Ana 88, both the 2020 version last season and now the 2021 version for this season, and they did make some slight changes to the wood core and the titanal (1 sheet vs. 2.) They ski similarly, but I do notice the extra lightness of the 2021s now that I've gotten several days on them. And it's a good thing.

For anyone who wonders about the Santa Ana 88, everything that has been said here about the Enforcer 88 applies. A really great blend of playfulness and stiffness/stability that make them an easy choice on almost every day.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you sure? I own the Santa Ana 88, both the 2020 version last season and now the 2021 version for this season, and they did make some slight changes to the wood core and the titanal (1 sheet vs. 2.) They ski similarly, but I do notice the extra lightness of the 2021s now that I've gotten several days on them. And it's a good thing.

I'm pretty certain GregK is correct, the Enforcer stayed the same (with new graphics). I believe the Santa Ana changed slightly in response to a lot of feedback that the ski was too stiff.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid