• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Stöckli Stormrider 95

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FairToMiddlin: It’s a new year, and a new Stormrider 95. Just like the previous SR 95 reveal at SIA two years ago, Stöckli did not bring the 184, so we had only the very short wheelbase (it has tip and tail rocker, after all) 175 to dissect. Thinner Titanal, thicker wood core, and a pronounced, wider tail are the highlights over the previous generation, as well as the same 1.3° factory base bevel found on the new Laser AR we tested. It had the same "half a Mississippi" pause that the AR had before initiating the turn, and lazy skiing was able to induce those fatty tails to hang up off piste. Still, Stöckli refinement comes standard with this new SR, and it is a smooth ride. And a year from now, Stöckli will remember to pop the 184 into the van for SIA, we’ll get to enjoy, err, test it then.

Drahtguy Kevin: A new tip and tail design along with a thicker core improve this model over the recent offerings. Turn initiation is better, providing a confidence-inspiring ride, and the stronger tail gives a tummy-tickling reward at the end. This new 95 glides from turn to turn seamlessly. I wish Stöckli would bring more sizes to the test as I would be better off one length up.

Insider tip: Stöckli has the mid-90 segment figured out.​

Who is it for?
Well-heeled skiers wanting a versatile all-mountain ride. If previous generations of SR seemed a bit much for you, these should be more usable.
Who is it not for?
Sliders. A ski of this quality likes to be on edge.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
166, 175, 184, 193
Dimensions
135-95-123
Radius
17.2m@175cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Can anyone compare the Stormrider 95 to Enforcer 93 or 94? I’m intrigued with the reviews always indicating that the Stockli’s are “smooth & silky”, but wondering how this is achieved when they come in lighter on the scales? The Enforcer 94’s in 186 are approx. 2,300g per ski and have been told the Stormrider 95’s in 184 are around the 1,925g range? Which would you pick and why between Stormrider 95 vs. Enforcer 93/94?

T Bone

Booting up
Skier
I tried both the E94 in a 179, and the SR95 in a 175 last weekend. Conditions were mostly frozen solid groomers or frozen crud. Day before had been super soft spring snow that then froze overnight. I did find one area that had reasonably decent snow with small bumps that had been in the shade the couple days prior

The E94 was disappointing. Stiff, with a harsh suspension and a tail that was too sharp and grabby. The SR95 felt light and quick, buttery smooth, and flowed through the little bumps effortlessly. Easily my favorite of the day, but the Mindbender 99 was a contender.

I really wanted to like the E94. I have the E110 for my soft snow and deeper days ski, and absolutely love it. I was hoping the E94 could be a harder snow complement. The only thing I don't like about the SR95 is the low tip. It's better than prior years, but is too easy to spear it into crud piles and end up doing the flying Superman over the handlebars. The Enforcer tip is much more versatile.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Can anyone compare the Stormrider 95 to Enforcer 93 or 94? I’m intrigued with the reviews always indicating that the Stockli’s are “smooth & silky”, but wondering how this is achieved when they come in lighter on the scales? The Enforcer 94’s in 186 are approx. 2,300g per ski and have been told the Stormrider 95’s in 184 are around the 1,925g range? Which would you pick and why between Stormrider 95 vs. Enforcer 93/94?

Baby seal fur. ;)

T Bone

Booting up
Skier
It's the Stockli flex pattern. It's perfect. The suspension handles the rattling, smoothes out the nasties and can be bent into whatever arc you choose.

The only problem is the tip. In deeper maritime snow you have to pay attention. I have to sink my heels when skiing over 6-8 inches and you can't just spear into a dense pile of maritime crud. As conservative as Stockli is, it'll be years before their StormRider skis have much more rocker.

When it hasn't skied for a few days, I leave the Enforcer 110 at home and grab the SR95. I haven't yet found the replacement for my SR95 that probably has 250 days on it, other than a new SR95. (Mindbender?, need to try this year's Enforcer100 also)

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
I tried both the E94 in a 179, and the SR95 in a 175 last weekend. Conditions were mostly frozen solid groomers or frozen crud. Day before had been super soft spring snow that then froze overnight. I did find one area that had reasonably decent snow with small bumps that had been in the shade the couple days prior

The E94 was disappointing. Stiff, with a harsh suspension and a tail that was too sharp and grabby. The SR95 felt light and quick, buttery smooth, and flowed through the little bumps effortlessly. Easily my favorite of the day, but the Mindbender 99 was a contender.

I really wanted to like the E94. I have the E110 for my soft snow and deeper days ski, and absolutely love it. I was hoping the E94 could be a harder snow complement. The only thing I don't like about the SR95 is the low tip. It's better than prior years, but is too easy to spear it into crud piles and end up doing the flying Superman over the handlebars. The Enforcer tip is much more versatile.

When you say the Enforcer 94’s where stiff and harsh...how does that compare to a skier’s size and weight? At 6’2” - 230lbs I kinda like that the Enforcer 94 could plow through crud. I do agree with the tails being grabby...but also attribute that to lack of skills on my part.

What would you compare the flex pattern of the Stormrider’s 95 to?

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
What would you compare the flex pattern of the Stormrider’s 95 to?

An overcooked spaghetti noodle. Smooth fur sure with all that baby seal stuff but wasn't my fav. I will try them again at demo dayz in 2 weeks.

T Bone

Booting up
Skier
I'm only 170 lbs and at age 67 don't charge hard anymore but I still know how to arc a ski. Thus I skied the SR95 in the 175. Someone heavier would of course go longer.

I like the Mindbender 99 but need more time on it to know for sure. I also very much like the flex of the Salomon QST99. It's not the heavy crud slayer that the Enforcer 110 is, but does everything else very well. Had it in spring conditions last week and had a blast.

Sponsor