• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Stöckli Stormrider 88

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FairToMiddlin: For about four years now, Stöckli has been churning out a very refined, very easygoing SR 88. When it first came out, I thought it was one of those capable skis that nevertheless took it easy on you, not urging you to pour every ounce of oomph you have into each turn (unlike the potent Völkl RTM 86). If you can remember back another four or so years beyond that, the Stormrider name did not bring such easygoing thoughts to mind.

The rep in the tent hinted that Stöckli felt it had gone a bit too far, however, and sought to remedy that for 2019. What it ended up with was un-accessiblizing done right; the incoming SR 88 is stellar.

Compared to the current/outgoing SR 88, next year’s ski is more aggressive, responses to input are more immediate, there is more power in the ski underneath your feet. And yet it didn’t feel like there is an equal increase in its neediness. This is not a ski that will wear you down; you won’t be grunting like Monica Seles as you navigate through crud, bumps, or trees. Instead, almost anything feels possible: stuff it into unknown piles of snow with confidence, and make turn shapes bigger or smaller than its stated radius. So easy was the latter, I would have tried the next size up (if they had it). I bet it would have been a pleasure.

Philpug: Stöckli went back to the drawing board after one model run of the recent Stormrider 88. This is unusual for a manufacturer, especially a premium builder that has less margin of error when building a ski (particularly in a financial sense). Stöckli decided that the lightweight balsa core was just not enough for a ski called "Stormrider," and in this category for sure.

On to the new ski. Thank you Stöckli for bringing back what I expect a Stormrider to be. Honestly, a premium ski doesn’t need to be for everyone, and the SR 88 has had its backbone returned and wants to charge again. There are plenty of skis for solid intermediates; the Stormrider needs to be earned, and the new one raises that bar up again.

Insider tip: For the "who is it not for" crowd, find yourself a 2017-18 model.​

Who is it for?
Skiers who want refinement but still want to charge when in the mood. Anyone will feel like a rockstar on this.
Who is it not for?
The new SR 88 will expose your weaknesses as a skier, so unless you are comfortable with that....
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
168, 177, 186
Dimensions
128-88-114
Radius
19m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Air

You never get hurt in the air!
Skier
Best all-around ski I've skied and I've skied a lot of skis.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully I'll be able to demo these in March. I wasn't a fan of the previous version. I'm not sure what year that was though but I'm thinkng 1 -2 years ago.

Sponsor