• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Stöckli Laser AR

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied the AR's again on a spring like snow Tuesday. What I love about them other than the any turn shape you want, is for me they are happiest going Mach 9 and I'm happiest going Mach 9 on them. They are so stable and confidence inspiring and there is no way I'd run some of my other boards like that. I haven't found the top end and they just grip and rip. Smooth- check, moguls-check, steep and scary-check. I've forgotten the price tag long ago they are so good. They have been my daily drivers this season mixed in with my Wildcats for bigger days. Now that's a 2 ski quiver. :ogbiggrin:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I skied the AR's again on a spring like snow Tuesday. What I love about them other than the any turn shape you want, is for me they are happiest going Mach 9 and I'm happiest going Mach 9 on them. They are so stable and confidence inspiring and there is no way I'd run some of my other boards like that. I haven't found the top end and they just grip and rip. Smooth- check, moguls-check, steep and scary-check. I've forgotten the price tag long ago they are so good. They have been my daily drivers this season mixed in with my Wildcats for bigger days. Now that's a 2 ski quiver. :ogbiggrin:

You're killing me... ;)

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK. If we're talking two ski quivers, I have something to add. For travel to JH and LCC, I've settled on SR 88 and SR 107 to pack in my bag. For Winter Park, the AX and SR 107 go, because the AX is just perfect for Mary Jane.

Finally, a couple of years back I had bought the SR 97 before that ski was phased out, thinking that one of these days I'd get tired of schlepping two pairs of skis through airports. I had ventured out with them several times, but never really tried to prove the concept of a one ski quiver. I finally forced myself to take only that pair skis to LCC and Deer Valley this past week because I knew that hopping between the two canyons was going to be a bit of a hassle. With 5" of new snow welcoming me to Alta Monday morning and DV on Saturday skiing like the face of a bowling ball, they turn out to be a pretty dandy choice for a 1SQ. And I'm pretty sure that anyone weighing in at more than my 140# would think the same of the SR 95.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I demoed the AR in 182 length this past week at Beaver Creek in spring conditions for a day. Snow ranged from very firm to slush to packed powder to 2" powder to ....spring conditions. They feel like an all mountain GS ski, with emphasis on the GS. They absolutely love to rail on groomers or charge through crud. The edge hold is superb and the flex very smooth. They are biased strongly toward groomer skiing IMO. They require some precision/attention to ski in bumps, but nothing too extraordinary. It is a good ski, but I decided not to buy and stick with my 2017 Kendo (177 length). The AR encouraged me to ski a specific type of turn (railed carves) and more skiing on the front side, whereas the Kendo leads me to be more varied/playful in my skiing, turn types, and all mountain terrain preferences.

AR is a great ski, just not the ski for me. I am grateful to have skied them and found new love for my current skis :)

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Philpug: This is the resurrection of a Stöckli letter combo that once was a mainstay in the Laser line. The current AX was previously referred to as the AR; now the AR moniker has returned with an all-new shape. Is the Stöckli Laser AR the love child of the AX and Stormrider 88, as some think it is? Kinda sorta but not really. If by love child you mean “quietly powerful and somewhat versatile?" I would say, Yes. The AR has neither the precision of the AX nor the playfulness of the SR 88. It is more its own ski with a solid, heavy connection to the snow, a bit more serious than the Stormrider.

Insider tip: It isn't the quiver killer you might expect, but it is a good wide charger. Available flat or with a system binding.​

Drahtguy Kevin: Stöckli couldn’t be left behind in the wide-carver race, so it built the AR. It has the typical Stöckli feel: damp, strong, quiet, and refined. The power and predicability of a Stöckli never disappoint, but this pair was a minor exception. The tune may have been a little off, or perhaps a prior tester hit something on the pair I tested. The AR lacked the immediacy I’m used to with Stöckli. It seemed sluggish compared to most others in this class and a far cry from the Stöckli skis I'm familiar with.

Insider tip: Pay for a performance tune and reap the rewards of a well-built ski.​
Andy Mink: The Stöckli Laser AR is another premium ski in the hierarchy of the ski world. As with the Kästles, the AR is ridiculously smooth and silky. But there is more to a ski than silk, and the AR has it. It handled really well in the heavier chopped-up, late-day junk, and in bumps, too. Dubbed by Stöckli as an all-mountain racing ski, the AR sports a wider shovel than its AX brethren. The “racing ski” part is particularly noticeable as the ski flows effortlessly in turns across the groomers. The ski isn't super in powder, but the wider shovel does provide respectable float and allowed me to negotiate what was left of the overnight powder without concern.

Insider tip: Use the race heritage to your advantage on the groomers. Have fun!​

Would you mind giving some examples of skis that are capable of 80-90% of ARs with a lower price?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Would you mind giving some examples of skis that are capable of 80-90% of ARs wi9th a lower price?

Augment 77 or 88... oh.... the price thing. Right. :)

Blizzard HRC, most of the non-FIS GS skis from Head, Rossi, Blizzard, Nordica, Dynastar, etc...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Come on Phil :)
I can't find the price of crosswind but for S/Force I'd pay $200 more and get Laser AR again, (Would order From EU).
I was thinking you'd say something around half of Laser's price.
The Laser AR is $1249 flat. The S/Force Bold is $899 with a binding. The Blossom Cross Wind is $650 through a Pugski Discount Program So I think those qualify as a significant savings.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Half the blazers price? I'll broken record it... outgoing monster 83/88. Incoming Brahma. Dynastar Mpro90, speedzone 4x4. Don't get me wrong, the AR is an excellent ski, maybe my favourite on the retail wall.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So surprisingly (maybe) at this point I have picked up a pair of Laser AX, but not the AR yet. Still looking for a pair that doesn't break the budget...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler - did you ever get the opportunity to compare the AR to the SC? Thanks!

Yes, I did. They're really two different skis built for different needs, but both provide that supremely Stockli feel and ride. Basically, they're not really directly comparable other than to say if you like the SC, you'll probably like the AR (and vice versa).

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, I did. They're really two different skis built for different needs, but both provide that supremely Stöckli feel and ride. Basically, they're not really directly comparable other than to say if you like the SC, you'll probably like the AR (and vice versa).

Thanks!

I have a brand new pair of SCs but to a shift between east coast and the Rockies, I'm kicking myself for not buying the AR. Water under the bridge, but wondering if its even worth moving the SCs out west.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a brand new pair of SCs but to a shift between east coast and the Rockies, I'm kicking myself for not buying the AR. Water under the bridge, but wondering if its even worth moving the SCs out west.
Send them my way if you don't want them. I'll get rid of the SCs for you.;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks!

I think it depends on where out West and which specific mountain you'll make most of your turns on. In CO, we actually have a lot more sunshine and no new snow for long stretches than many would think. The SC as a groomer zoomer would absolutely be my weapon of choice during those periods.

Sponsor