• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
I heard about Royal Mountain for the first time from my Taos Ski Week instructor Scott Lacek. He said his dad was ski patrol there and he grew up ski racing there. Read elsewhere in the forum that you @ADKmel and him knew each other way back when?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I heard about Royal Mountain for the first time from my Taos Ski Week instructor Scott Lacek. He said his dad was ski patrol there and he grew up ski racing there. Read elsewhere in the forum that you @ADKmel and him knew each other way back when?

YES! We were on Ski Team together in High school and we were neighbors growing up our backyards bordered each other. My Dad was 10th Mt and started The Royal Mt Ski Patrol & Royal Mt w/ Scott's Dad, We are very lucky to have had SKI DADS! I've never had the chance to bump into him when I was at Taos!

James

Out There
Instructor
YES! We were on Ski Team together in High school and we were neighbors growing up our backyards bordered each other. My Dad was 10th Mt and started The Royal Mt Ski Patrol & Royal Mt w/ Scott's Dad, We are very lucky to have had SKI DADS! I've never had the chance to bump into him when I was at Taos!
Small world. I had Scott for a ski week 20 yrs ago.

Keith Moon

Booting up
Skier
Just my opinion, but New York can be divided into three general areas-Adirondacks, Catskills and Central/Western NY with each drawing from different geographic locations. @JohnL is right, it doesn't quite fit with either Mid-Atlantic or New England, but for Pugski forum purposes, I guess it makes sense to put it in Mid-Atlantic (unless we can get our own forum!)

Where would you put a place like Titus? In the Ads?

James

Out There
Instructor
Whiteface, Gore, West, Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, Plattekill, Thunder Ridge, Tuxedo?
Pretty much fit in the Northeast.

I think NY actually has more ski areas than any other state.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whiteface, Gore, West, Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, Plattekill, Thunder Ridge, Tuxedo?
Pretty much fit in the Northeast.

I think NY actually has more ski areas than any other state.

Yes I think We Do! New York features 43 ski areas, more than any other state in the US. 10 ski areas would be considered destination resorts. Top destinations include Whiteface, Gore Mountain, Windham, Hunter Mountain and Belleayre.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where would you put a place like Titus? In the Ads?

Yes.

Regarding destination resorts, for better or worse, you can't leave out Ellicottville with Holiday Valley and Holimont. Yes, they're short, but attract a big crowd from Buffalo, Cleveland and Ontario.Good facilities, lots of on hill development and a cool village. Not really worth the drive from Rochester more than once a year-I'll stick with Bristol's 1200' vs their 6-700', but they do a lot with very modest vertical.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Last Year 11/15- Gore and Whiteface were open, I'm Jonesing.. Finally Night temps this week are good for snowmaking, hope they turn the guns on.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great thread...hopefully we can keep this thread alive this winter.....the title is 2020....if u ask to add 2020-2021 to it....we can just continue to add to it instead of having to start a new one?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great thread...hopefully we can keep this thread alive this winter.....the title is 2020....if u ask to add 2020-2021 to it....we can just continue to add to it instead of having to start a new one?
You don't even need to ask... you just need to suggest possibly asking... :ogbiggrin:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Woo hoo Whiteface opens FRIDAY the 27th!
With this seasons travel restrictions if I do end up skiing it will probably be at Whiteface and/or Gore. I haven't been to Whiteface in about 2 decades and I've never been to Gore. Both are too far from me for a day trip but would be perfect for a weekend.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
With this seasons travel restrictions if I do end up skiing it will probably be at Whiteface and/or Gore. I haven't been to Whiteface in about 2 decades and I've never been to Gore. Both are too far from me for a day trip but would be perfect for a weekend.

Give me a shout- doubt I'm leaving NY this winter either. I'll give you a tour if you want- I ski weekends at my home bump Royal Mountain, small but lots of fun.. I usually am at Gore midweek. Whiteface is only about 1hr north of Gore- so if you can drive up ski gore then go up to Whiteface
Gore not open yet but do have the guns on.

Check out the Ski3 Frequent skier card via ORDA/Gore/Whiteface/Bellayare 1st day free then % off midweek/weekends and 6th day free. pretty good deal. still on sale I think

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Belleayre is scheduled to open on Dec 9th. Final decision is tomorrow. Season pass and frequent skier cards holders only. From the webcam, I have no idea what trail could possibly be open.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hunter plans on reopening tomorrow. Not looking too good at the moment. Could be why Vail isn't broadcasting this.
Looks OK to me now (10 hours later) given that the guns are going right now (and never having been there - so not sure exactly what I'm looking at).. But I've got a mid-Atlantic mindset too, where anything white at this point is great.

1607381094267.png