• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have not seen the entire list but it is always nice when the places I'm going to this winter don't show up.

Nothing to see around here just keep driving on by please.

Always wonder how Alyeska keeps getting left off the difficult lists. Got agree on the Crystal and Alpental comments.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jackson Hole falling all the way to 16 was what I found the most interesting. I believe Vail was 11. Jackson Hole has finished #1 a number of times before, so it seems strange that it would now be behind Winter Park (14) and Copper Mountain (15).
Presumably, now that Jackson Hole is inundated by Ikoneers, management doesn’t see any reason to continue to pump advertising dollars into promoting it in magazines.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Presumably, now that Jackson Hole is inundated by Ikoneers, management doesn’t see any reason to continue to pump advertising dollars into promoting it in magazines.

Well I don't get Ski magazine, but I do get The Ski Journal... and the fall issue had this ad (partly a promotion for the filmmaker Jimmy Chin too) :

Ski_Ad_3.jpg

The only other ads for resorts that it has are Snowbird and Whitefish :

Ski_Ad_2.jpg

Ski_Ad_1.jpg

It also has ads for Island Lake Cat-skiing, and Eagle Lake Heli-skiing.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I just got my SKI magazine in the mail yesterday where they rank the overall Top 30 resorts in the West and Top 20 in the East, with some random subcategory rankings sprinkled in for good measure. As always, there are some head-scratchers.

Overall Top 10 in West:
1) Aspen/Snowmass
2) Sun Valley
3) Whitefish
4) Steamboat
5) Deer Valley
6) Whistler/Blackcomb
7) Telluride
8) Beaver Creek
9) Breckenridge
10) Park City

@Sibhusky

Do you have 11-15? Got 16-30 from their website. Have a spreadsheet for the last 7 years I'm filling in.

TS
Lofcaudio

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here we go. I wasn't sure how to handle last year, willing to consider other approaches.

The other problem with this year is that they lumped the four Aspen resorts together which is what propelled it to #1 this year, but is not consistent with how they have ranked them in past years.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The other problem with this year is that they lumped the four Aspen resorts together which is what propelled it to #1 this year, but is not consistent with how they have ranked them in past years.
Maybe I should go back and average Aspen, Snowmass, Highlands? Not sure if that would produce the relevant result. It looks like generally, with one exception, Snowmass was the highest rated, so that's the best row to compare.

We have a similar issue with Canyons. And as I recall, Moonlight Basin in the past.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just saw the top 20 list for Eastern resorts. How the heck does Stowe end up at #18 behind some very average places to ski??

AJP

Booting up
Skier
Glad to see Whitewater, Castle, and Red all still under the radar.

Sponsor

Staff online