• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just got my SKI magazine in the mail yesterday where they rank the overall Top 30 resorts in the West and Top 20 in the East, with some random subcategory rankings sprinkled in for good measure. As always, there are some head-scratchers.

Overall Top 10 in West:
1) Aspen/Snowmass
2) Sun Valley
3) Whitefish
4) Steamboat
5) Deer Valley
6) Whistler/Blackcomb
7) Telluride
8) Beaver Creek
9) Breckenridge
10) Park City

@Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
She's not gonna like this....
Wrong!!! I wish it would go back down to number 18 where it dwelt for years. I'd like it 18 in the very visible polls like this, and #1 only in the secret underground cool skiers polls.

I was wondering where this survey was after last year having it announced the end of September. I see now that we're not number one, they've returned to the old ranking system. They had to call it "#1 in overall satisfaction" last year. And then leave it off the ranked lists, which were Editors Picks or something. :nono::nono::nono: We still had record visits.

Last edited:
TS
Lofcaudio

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Most Challenging:
1) Taos
2) Jackson Hole
3) Snowbird
4) Arapahoe Basin
5) Big Sky

Best Snow:
1) Alta
2) Grand Targhee
3) Snowbird
4) Solitude
5) Brighton

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting that Vail didn't make the top 10 this year.

Like every year, there is a lot of room for debate as to why it turned out as it did, and what may be happening behind the scenes.

TS
Lofcaudio

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting that Vail didn't make the top 10 this year.

Jackson Hole falling all the way to 16 was what I found the most interesting. I believe Vail was 11. Jackson Hole has finished #1 a number of times before, so it seems strange that it would now be behind Winter Park (14) and Copper Mountain (15).

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Winter Park is still touting being #1 in America on the USA Today readers poll last season. And let's not forget Conde Nast Traveler Magazine voted Telluride #1 in America last season. In the grand scheme of readers polls how relevant is Ski?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I just got my SKI magazine in the mail yesterday where they rank the overall Top 30 resorts in the West and Top 20 in the East, with some random subcategory rankings sprinkled in for good measure. As always, there are some head-scratchers.

Overall Top 10 in West:
1) Aspen/Snowmass
2) Sun Valley
3) Whitefish
4) Steamboat
5) Deer Valley
6) Whistler/Blackcomb
7) Telluride
8) Beaver Creek
9) Breckenridge
10) Park City

@Sibhusky

see!!! Anyone coming to Utah for Ski vacations needs to head to Park City! that's where the best resorts are

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can't imagine going to any of the top ten and not having a good time.
I also can't see how Mammoth isn't in it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Most Challenging:
1) Taos
2) Jackson Hole
3) Snowbird
4) Arapahoe Basin
5) Big Sky

Crystal Mtn should be on or next to that list, and an honorable mention to Alpental as the crazy little brother with anger issues that can, and will sometimes kick yer $$s, just because.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
There is no way Steamboat should be in the top ten. It is really flat here, there is no Prada store and the snow is so light that it all blows away in a stiff breeze... ogwink

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal Mtn should be on or next to that list, and an honorable mention to Alpental as the crazy little brother with anger issues that can, and will sometimes kick yer $$s, just because.

Shhhhh.... the Crystal patrols are working hard enough as is.

Crystal is definitely harder than Jackson.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Ah the annual bitch and joke around over the meaningless rankings produced on spurious criteria.

The only rankings that matter-

- Where did it snow yesterday?
- How much?
- Not too much that the lifts are closed and the roads unpassable?
- Not snow spelt with an R?

Sponsor

Staff online