• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just read all the posts here. The only real incredulous post was all the initials behind the originators name.

Ended 2019-2020 season Wed. and it was a sad day. Put everything away today and that was equally sad. Being 78yrs I am afraid to read the obituaries because most of the folks on the page were younger than me. Looking forward to the next season is always special to me. Skiing is a very large part of my life and my heart. Gliding in 2inches or 18inches is always special to me and is always appreciated.

Next season. Like to make some trips, the past few yrs I have stopped traveling because I don't like to ski alone all the time. Hard to find someone to go with me.

I am still skiing ... but the goals start immediately or are continuing ... hard to determine which. I will continue to work on becoming proficient at skiing bumps.
1. Along with that goal, I plan to attend next year's gathering in Taos for the ski week!
2. Right now, slush bumps in Mammoth are in order since the conditions are very forgiving.

Taos I love, and soft snow in the steeps of Mammoth make Daves etc. much more fun.

This is really interesting because I'm working on something similar.
I spent a lot of time in low angle trees this past winter because we had so many low visibility days and I realized that I need to amp up my steep bump skills, which also requires shorter turn radius and taking up less terrain.
Goals for the win!

Tricia, quicker skis not neecessarily shorter skis. Sincerely from someone who has met you in the trees.

Skiing is supposed to be fun, so I figure setting the bar low and not reading about myself in (or being interviewed for) an incident report is the way to go.

Great idea the ski patrol doesn't need to meet you up close. Been there.

Have a great summer everyone. I will be checking my boot fit in August shortly (hour) after I get my lst Powder magazine.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Out of curiosity-is that everything you need to be able to do in order to be an instructor?
In the immortal words of Teej "Skiing is the easy part, Karl"...
Seriously, no, that's only one part. It is not simply "that everything you need to be able to do...". Self concious, critically and purposefully skiing is not that easy (at least for me), for once as hard skills, but then, one needs to develop soft skills as well, teaching (and to be able to teach one must understand why and how one is skiing) interpersonal communication, knowledge of the environment where is called to operate (the mountains, with all the twists and bends of that) and more...

Nobody

Skier
Did #1
Failed miserably with #2
Made best effort on #3 till life got in the way
Totally nailed #4

Don't think my skiing improved this year but it felt good. That will make it good enough.
Dolphin turns and Swedish jumps are my "Bétes Noires", can't do any of those two for the life of me (hope none of my coaches/examiners will be reading this...)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the immortal words of Teej "Skiing is the easy part, Karl"...
Seriously, no, that's only one part. It is not simply "that everything you need to be able to do...". Self concious, critically and purposefully skiing is not that easy (at least for me), for once as hard skills, but then, one needs to develop soft skills as well, teaching (and to be able to teach one must understand why and how one is skiing) interpersonal communication, knowledge of the environment where is called to operate (the mountains, with all the twists and bends of that) and more...

Yeah, thought it couldn't be that easy.
For me the instructors (well most of them anyway) and the ski patrols are some sort of demigods whom I watch in awe, jaw dropped as they do stuff much much harder than what is shown in that vid.
I can only hope one day I will reach something remotely resembling their brutal confidence in their abilities.

Nobody

Skier
Yeah, thought it couldn't be that easy.
For me the instructors (well most of them anyway) and the ski patrols are some sort of demigods whom I watch in awe, jaw dropped as they do stuff much much harder than what is shown in that vid.
I can only hope one day I will reach something remotely resembling their brutal confidence in their abilities.
Look beyond the mere clips. To ski that way, while making it appear easy, requires a lot of training and absolute muscle control over one body (and a great deal of proprioception). In short, it is not as easy as it looks.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dolphin turns and Swedish jumps are my "Bétes Noires", can't do any of those two for the life of me (hope none of my coaches/examiners will be reading this...)

You are way ahead of me, I don't have the slightest idea what a Dolphin or Swedish jump is.
Have I been skiing wrong all these years ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Yes, anything from final execution of specific turns to variations of each (w/ corrective exercises) plus coordination exercises (jump turns, one leg turns and the likes)

Živjo kako si? Zelo jasni demo posnetki! V Sloveniji nimate potrebnih smučarskih zahtev? Ne govorim slovensko. Lahko rečem samo "Pozdravljeni, kako si v češčini."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Živjo kako si? Zelo jasni demo posnetki! V Sloveniji nimate potrebnih smučarskih zahtev? Ne govorim slovensko. Lahko rečem samo "Pozdravljeni, kako si v češčini."
Or as Google Translate puts it: "Hi how are you? Very clear demos! No skiing requirements in Slovenia? I don't speak Slovenian. I can only say "Hello, how are you in Czech."

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
My goal for next year is to come in as light or lighter than this year and a bit stronger, particularly in legs and core. Gotta keep up with the young'uns.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I only ask because I’m seeing posts for 20/21 goals.

Me? I don’t set goals for my recreational activities.

Nobody

Skier
You are way ahead of me, I don't have the slightest idea what a Dolphin or Swedish jump is.
Have I been skiing wrong all these years ?
Nah, in any case I was ignoring what a Dolphin turn was until I started to hang around here and saw a clip of one member doing it...
Imagine a dolphin leaping out of water and then diving back into it..transpose that to skis (while making a turn all the same)
As for Swedish hops...in one of those video above there must be one example, lift alternatively one shovel and the opposite ski tail while making a turn (never remember which ski has the shovel down during the turn, I think the external one)
dbostedo: Thank you, it should have said: "No BUMP skiing requirements in Slovenia?"
There aren't many "bump runs" here (in Italy and Slovenia, pistes are groomed daily, and no bump runs are left for those who would enjoy that kind of terrain, if one is lucky, at the end of a skiing day, one can find bumps in the most trafficked of the re-entry slopes) but after having skied with quite some of them guys, and in a specific case in a bump run, I can attest that they do rip in bumps!

Nobody

Skier
Did some one started the 20/21 goal thread?
Haven't given a thought to 20/21 yet. Still mulling over this season failures and savouring in the successes. For the new season...We will see after this mess named COVID-19 will be over, IF and WHEN it will be over.

Last edited:

Nobody

Skier
Sorry, did not respond to this! Unfortunately I speak neither Czech nor Slovenian, of which I have no knowledge beyond few basic words like "dobro" (good, ok, understood) "No dobro" (not good) "ena, dva, dri, stiri, peti" (one two three four five - this, along with "doool, hop" - doown, hop!, is needed to give the right timing and rythm to some of the exercises, any other language wouldn't do, I've discovered), "Dobro Jutro" (Good morning) "Dobro Dan" (Good day) , "prosim" (please) , "hvala" (thank you), "gremo" (let's go), "dol" (down) "gor" (up as in "gremo gor" - let's go up) "levo" (left, but never remember what the term for "right" is) "Se vidim" (see you) and the most important "Pivo" (beer) and "voda" (water) :-D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January