• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Notice that I am not saying "Corbets". (Last year I said Big Couloir and did it at the Gathering.) I'll sidle up to Corbets and take a look, but no promises.

I think the main issue with Corbets isn't a large amount of air. It's a drop straight down.. not much air between your skis and the steep run below... Problem is you have to drop and ski straight down the steep narrow chute and are likely up to 35-40PMH before your first opportunity to turn, a mandatory hard turn.. on undgoomed, bumpy, chunky, or deep snow. The drop is the easy part.. I haven't skied it, but I did get a good look at it up close June of 2018. It was probably skiable at that time, but would have involved hiking down the rest of the mountain.. I didn't have gear.. Yellowstone trip with a quick look at the hole while in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I want to get some small air without banging up my skis.
On one of the last days at A-Basin last year, noodling around with @dean_spirito and a few of his grom students, I got air off a small rock. But the last six inches of my skis got fairly scratched up. I'm guessing that's a technique issue, not something you have to live with.

Notice that I am not saying "Corbets". (Last year I said Big Couloir and did it at the Gathering.) I'll sidle up to Corbets and take a look, but no promises.
I kind of feel obligated to ski Corbetts while I'm there but I'll probably sidle up to the edge and say "Nope!"

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
- No injuries to wife or me
- Have fun
- Improve balance over the left foot
- Get "value" from epic local pass

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
your first opportunity to turn, a mandatory hard turn.. on undgoomed, bumpy, chunky, or deep snow.
I've heard the second turn is often the problem. The first turn avoids the rock that is staring you in the face. But then you are headed at the right hand wall of the couloir, and you are in a trough made by all the other skiers.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
My 2020 goals are ambitious and will admittedly be hard but here goes.

Bitch about the Vail/Alterra duopoly at least 3 more times than I did last year while managing to get slapped upside the head in the process at least one less time.

That's in addition to my usual goals of staying safe, having fun, improving fitness/skills, and meeting interesting new people on the slopes.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hoping for a lot of improvement in my snow dance skills vs. 2019!
How's that dancing going for you?
If you want, you can come visit us in Tahoe. :D

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tricia Savage. The only saving grace is that I’m waiting for replacement boots after a punch casualty and a binding warranty that, combined, means all my setups are only kind of functional. I kept holding off figuring that the less prepared I am, the more it’ll snow. Tahoe’ll definitely be the destination of choice if old man winter stands me up this season. My family’s usually up 1-2 weekends a month.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I definitely need to work on my snow dancing as well. So far it must seem to the snow gods that I'm merely a slightly touched epileptic.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Well, having shamefully missed most of my (skiing related) 18-19 goals, which were (from my 2018-2019 goals thread):
1) Ski as much as possible (while training for points 2-3-4 below as well) - DONE (some 80 days)
2) Pass L3 cert -MISSED
3) Complete the Freeride Guide cert - NOT ATTEMPTED
4) Pass Eurotest - NOT EVEN ATTEMPTED
5) Don't go bankrupt in the process - NEARLY SO ;-)
6) Keep current daily job, points 1 to 4 above notwithstanding - DONE
7) Save some vacation days, so to have some "quality time" for and with the family - DONE

I mulled all summer (2019) long on my failure(s) of past season, and while took some time off from any ski related thought to de-congestionate (in fact stopped skiing on may 4th/5th, started skiing/train again only in late August and train on purpouse in the gym only late July) had to think long and hard whether I wanted to try one more time even after resuming skiing/training, until I decided it was about time to try to forget about last season and only look forward, thus...
This season goals are unchanged
1) Ski as much as possible (training or not)
2) Pass the ZUTS U3 certification (L3)
3) Complete the Freeride Guide certification (Eurosecurité)
4) Pass (or at least, attempt) Eurotest
5) Don't go bankrupt in the process (points 1 to 4 above notwithstanding)
6) Keep current daily job (points 1to 4 above notwithstanding)
7) Have as much time and fun as possible with the family both on and off snow (points 1to 4 above notwithstanding)
A point I neglected to list last year but it is, cardinal (and prerequisite) to all of the above is : a) hit the gym at least twice a week and stay fit enough to be able to carry on those above mentioned goals and more (stay reasonably fit, which is anyway a good thing)
Situation update, just for the record....
1) Ski as much as possible (training or not) - ongoing
2) Pass the ZUTS U3 certification (L3) - ongoing
3) Complete the Freeride Guide certification (Eurosecurité) - done
4) Pass (or at least, attempt) Eurotest - mmmmh, not sure I'll hit this one
5) Don't go bankrupt in the process (points 1 to 4 above notwithstanding) - doing my best not to
6) Keep current daily job (points 1to 4 above notwithstanding) - so far...so good
7) Have as much time and fun as possible with the family both on and off snow (points 1to 4 above notwithstanding) - so far...so good
A point I neglected to list last year but it is, cardinal (and prerequisite) to all of the above is : a) hit the gym at least twice a week and stay fit enough to be able to carry on those above mentioned goals and more (stay reasonably fit, which is anyway a good thing) - ongoing

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Situation update, just for the record....
1) Ski as much as possible (training or not) - ongoing
2) Pass the ZUTS U3 certification (L3) - ongoing
4) Pass (or at least, attempt) Eurotest - mmmmh, not sure I'll hit this one
5) Don't go bankrupt in the process (points 1 to 4 above notwithstanding) - doing my best not to
6) Keep current daily job (points 1to 4 above notwithstanding) - so far...so good
7) Have as much time and fun as possible with the family both on and off snow (points 1to 4 above notwithstanding) - so far...so good
A point I neglected to list last year but it is, cardinal (and prerequisite) to all of the above is : a) hit the gym at least twice a week and stay fit enough to be able to carry on those above mentioned goals and more (stay reasonably fit, which is anyway a good thing) - ongoing
1) Ski as much as possible (training or not) - 47 days and that's it for this season
2) Pass the ZUTS U3 certification (L3) - Failed
4) Pass (or at least, attempt) Eurotest - mmmmh, see point 1, season has ended, rather abruptly
5) Don't go bankrupt in the process (points 1 to 4 above notwithstanding) - currently as broke as one could be
A point I neglected to list last year but it is, cardinal (and prerequisite) to all of the above is : a) hit the gym at least twice a week and stay fit enough to be able to carry on those above mentioned goals and more (stay reasonably fit, which is anyway a good thing) - still ongoing, difference is that cannot hit the gym, but we are exercising in house.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Did you fail to pass or did you not reach the goal because test wasn't held?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
More ^^^ (image of my powder skiing form year before) sadly little
Fun fun FUN! done
no injuries done

meet interesting and happy people on lifts done

24 days of mostly yoyoing long bump skiing fall lines.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Goals for the 19/20 season were far exceeded.

Comfortably skied terrain I never thought I would be able
Graduated to Advanced level skiing and at the end was working on pure carving with high edge angles.

I am now after the impossible, skiing top to bottom runs with the tails following the tips in perfect RR tracks all the way.

20/21 can’t come soon enough

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am still skiing ... but the goals start immediately or are continuing ... hard to determine which. I will continue to work on becoming proficient at skiing bumps.
1. Along with that goal, I plan to attend next year's gathering in Taos for the ski week!
2. Right now, slush bumps in Mammoth are in order since the conditions are very forgiving.
Well the season might have ended early, but I accomplished my goal. Thanks to the ski week in Taos, I am pretty confident when skiing bumps now. We skied bumps every day in France, and I never hesitated to drop into black bump runs. I will say though, that after Taos, most bump runs look tame!

Sponsor

Staff online