• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Thank you for your language lesson! I will use these words with my white water kayak and snow ski Czech buddy who has taught me that Pivo is indeed a critical word in Czech! The other words he has taught me are xxx-rated...

I am curious. When you are examined for certification as a ski instructor are you examined on your bump or mogul skiing or teaching ability?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Thank you for your language lesson! I will use these words with my white water kayak and snow ski Czech buddy who has taught me that Pivo is indeed a critical word in Czech! The other words he has taught me are xxx-rated...

I am curious. When you are examined for certification as a ski instructor are you examined on your bump or mogul skiing or teaching ability?
You're welcome, again that's the little slovenian language I know, but I'm told that European slavic languages (Slovenian, Czech, Polish, and so on) are near, not similar, but knowing one, can almost lead to be able to communicate with the others (another word that I see repeated in all languages is "Rodina" (Nation/County) and "Mednarodni" (or variation thereof - International) )
As for the exam, no there is - luckily and happily for me, since I love bumps but suck at it, no bump skiing portion at the exam; one and the main part covers technical skiing, e.g. arcs of various radius and coordination exercises. Teaching is also part of the exam as racing capabilities (one short, timed, GS race) is.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but I'm told that European slavic languages (Slovenian, Czech, Polish, and so on) are near,

Slovenian, Croatian and Serbian are VERY similar-they come from the same old country after all (Yugoslavia). Almost indistinguishable.

Bulgarian and Macedonian are almost identical.

Czech and Polish are different-both from the ones above and from each other.

P.S. The closest to Rodina is Motherland, i.e. the country in which you are born.