• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Renoun Z-90

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Mink: This ski gave me my "OMG, I am SOOO glad I got back into skiing" moment. I got on a pair of these during the 2016-17 season, and it was like the intermediate light bulb exploded in my head! These are truly game-changers for an advanced intermediate. It is like cheating. They are infinitely smooth but not dead or heavy; light and easy to turn but not nervous; carve like a fillet knife but smear like a butter knife. They make the day, and life in general, better. They are at home on the groomers, bumps, trees, and medium-deep powder. The wide tips initiate turns easily while the slight rise enables the tails to slide through bumps and crud. The HDT (Hyper Damping Technology) keeps everything happening almost silently. Cyrus Schenk hit the nail on the head, IMHO, with these skis.

The 174 and 180 lengths will give most stronger, heavier skiers the best ride. The shorter lengths, especially the 157, may still be a bit strong for lighter skiers. They are a bit stiff over a very short length. But, for a bigger, stronger person, the 157s are an absolute blast on groomers! These skis are not inexpensive, but if you're looking at the likes of Kästle or Stöckli, Renoun should be on your short list, too.

Insider tip: If you have the opportunity to get one ski that will up your game, this may be it.​

Tricia: I kept hearing how amazing the Renoun Skis were, but there wasn't a good size and flex for me so I had to wait nearly a year to get on them. Fortunately, the Z-90 arrived in a 165 length. It is a gorgeous ski. The white and gold limited edition graphics are classic and rich-looking; the build quality lives up to its appearance. This really is a premium ski in every way.

I skied the Z-90 Limited for a full day at Northstar before heading into work. I skied sweet corduroy first thing in the morning, then got into some bumps, and later dealt with scraped-off icy stuff. The thing that stands out was that the more I put into them, the more they give back.

Insider tip: Trust the skis, they won't let you down.​

Awards
Who is it for?
The advanced to expert skier who wants a phenomenal ride and has the money to back it up. Someone looking for a premium ski with a smooth feel.
Who is it not for?
Um, let me think, no, can't think of anyone who shouldn't at least give these a try. The budget conscious.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
157, 165, 174, 180
Dimensions
136-90-124
Radius
15m@174cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a friend try the 180s, he thought they skied like a 170s. Strong skier and 145lbs. Of course, now he wants to get a pair. He's thinking 165. I'm wondering if the 174 would work well though. Especially if he felt they skied short.

Do they ski short or is it just because you can carve tight on them, they feel short?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the 174’s, I’m 5’10” and 150lbs. It’s just the right length, they don’t ski short and I don’t think I would want it any longer. With the HDT dampening, it absorbs terrain like a much longer ski.

I would maybe go shorter in the Atlas 80, but haven’t been one one yet.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Had a friend try the 180s, he thought they skied like a 170s. Strong skier and 145lbs. Of course, now he wants to get a pair. He's thinking 165. I'm wondering if the 174 would work well though. Especially if he felt they skied short.

Do they ski short or is it just because you can carve tight on them, they feel short?

I did not feel the Z90 skied short at all. There is a fair amount of power in the ski that can be accessed when pushed hard. But it can relax if your just cruising. I’m selling my 174’s as I’d prefer a slightly shorter ski and it overlaps a bit with my Stocklis. If your friend wants a barely used set, let me know. They are listed here in the classifieds.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not feel the Z90 skied short at all. There is a fair amount of power in the ski that can be accessed when pushed hard. But it can relax if your just cruising. I’m selling my 174’s as I’d prefer a slightly shorter ski and it overlaps a bit with my Stocklis. If your friend wants a barely used set, let me know. They are listed here in the classifieds.
I did send him that link earlier. His Head Collectives are 171 for comparison.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Bought a pair undemoed and finally got them out today. Conditions were soft packed powder, hard packed, ice and death cookies and these things blew me away. They held onto the edge and glided right over the death cookies. At the end of the day the one trail was pretty icy and these skis were amazing. I haven't felt quite so comfortable so far in a long time. I really enjoyed these skis and I look forward to having them for a long time.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Bought a pair undemoed and finally got them out today. Conditions were soft packed powder, hard packed, ice and death cookies and these things blew me away. They held onto the edge and glided right over the death cookies. At the end of the day the one trail was pretty icy and these skis were amazing. I haven't felt quite so comfortable so far in a long time. I really enjoyed these skis and I look forward to having them for a long time.
Nice review, did you have any difficulty getting a 90MM up on edge on the East Coast ICE?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Nice review, did you have any difficulty getting a 90MM up on edge on the East Coast ICE?

Thanks. I had no difficulty getting them on edge. I was very suprised at how well they held onto the icy hard pack. They rivaled my 2015 Kenjas and my 2016 Stockli Stormrider 85s. My ankles bones were even a little sore after 2 days of skiing so there was some absolute edging/angulation going on. I'm very impressed with these things. I don't believe they make the Z90 anymore so I'm wondering how these compare with the endurance/earhardt 88s.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So what skis would be comparable to the Z90s? I have a family friend who rode mine last spring and would like to purchase them. I'm not sure I want to sell or what they are worth. I let my brother ski them for a year, so he can see what a better ski feels like. :)

Sponsor