• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.52.33 AM.png
It is a brave new world when an upstart boutique ski builder from sleepy northern Vermont makes one of the reference skis in the hotly contested One Oh Something category. The Citadel 106 is Cyrus’s baby; he made the Z-90 and Endurance 98 first so that he could afford to make a lightweight 106 that would be the class leader. The HDT-infused Citadel is as light as it is damp: it can charge when asked yet it is nimble when you want to slow down and bring it into tight spots.

The all-new FX106 is the third generation of this ski that Kästle brought into this segment. The first offering, the FX104, was a fully cambered charger; like most skis from this era of Kästle, it came in 10cm sizing increments and many fell in between sizes. From there Kästle switched names to BMX and offered the 105 and 105 HP. These skis swung the pendulum toward a soft-snow bias and added taper at the extremities and HP dampening; the lighter non-HP was was the more playful of the two. Kästle also went to 8cm sizing breaks, which was much better. The new FX106 HP is the best of both of these skis with a shape more reminiscent of the 104 and a light flex and on-snow feel that blend the 105 and 105 HP.
  • Why choose the Citadel 106? You want the Nth degree of weight savings without compromising downhill performance.
  • Why choose the FX106? You don’t want to give up power and crud-busting ability.
  • Insider tip: Either is a great ski for a Shift binding.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am looking forward to skiing the new FX106. I did get to ski the previous 105 back to back with the DPS Alchemist 106 in the same conditions and run last season. My personal preference was the Alchemist. Anyone not fond of carbon skis would absolutely choose the Kastle. In the end, as much as I love the Alchemist, I went with the Citadel with the shift binding. Great lightweight ski with pretty good downhill performance. I think it was Blister that was not enamored with the edge hold but it has worked ok for me. I don't ski the steepest stuff but it works ok at the places I ski. If I had to choose between the Alchemist and the Citadel? Tough choice.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The new fX 106 is closer to the Alchemist 106 than the 105 HP. What's on common? Neither are 5 point tapered tip designs. Give them a go if you have a chance.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I need to try both. :cool::cool::cool:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Well I have sold my beloved BMX 105HP and bought the FX106 HP, I was too tempted by the reduction in weight in the new FX106 HP and the promise of playfulness without giving up the crud-busting ability. I look forward to skiing them this winter and fingers crossed that there will be many powder days that I will need them this season.:)

I need to find a way to demo Renouns at some point, not just the Citadel, but any other of their skis, Z-90 for example. Several of my ski friends love them.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I have skied the FX106 HP for maybe 6 days this season. I like them, and the weight reduction is great as compared to BMX105 HP. However I think I liked the BMX105 HP better in mixed/junky snow, they are damper as compared to FX106 and stiffer too. FX106HP are a lot of fun, but I felt more confident on BMX105 HP I think, the word I would use for them is unflappable and still quite nimble in trees and bumps. I am starting to wonder if I should go back to BMX105 HP, but not quite convinced I should because FX106 HP are fun, just in a different way.

Sponsor