2020 Renoun Atlas 80

Pugski Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
What is now the Atlas 80 is a whole new shape, more like the Z-90 but with a bit more taper in the tail. Its shape still rewards the better skier but is more accommodating to the skier who wants (and needs) to release the tail from time to time. This newest Renoun has the playfulness of a 14m ski, but you can definitely feel the HDT keeping it smooth on the snow. Where the Z-90 could be a one-ski quiver, the Atlas 80 is the skinny end of a two-ski quiver. Did upstart and defiant Renoun get lucky with the Z-90? Some skeptics say it did. Was it lucky again with the new Endurance 98 and Citadel 106? I am thinking this boutique builder is more than just really lucky: it is really good.

Insider tip: Just read the introduction thread, to get the hype.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those with deep pockets. Those long days at the office were worth while.
Who is it not for?
Euro snobs. Renoun still follows the "Rules are made to be broken" philosophy.
Skier ability
Advanced, Expert
Ski category
Frontside, All Mountain
Ski attributes
Groomers, Moguls, Trees
Segment
Men, Women

Specifications

HighFives
Available sizes
Dimensions
128-80-113
Rocker profile
Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
All new
Binding options
Flat
right ad

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I bought one of the prototypes here on Pugski and hopefully that money helped support the new website (which is great). I am looking forward to getting on them when we have some more snow and I have more time. I am eyeing going to part of the gathering in Jackson and if I go they will be available for others as they have demo bindings on them.

smithian

At the base lodge
Skier
I took the plunge and ordered the Atlas 80 in a 177 length. First skis I have bought in well over a decade. Anyone have a recommendation for a binding for a 6'2, 200# medium-aggressive skier?

Currently thinking about the Marker Griffon 13 ID, Warden 13 MNC, or pivot 12/14.

I have seen some people say that the pivots will protect your knees better than other bindings, but not sure if that's backed up by anything. I will definitely pay more to protect my knees.

RobSN

Putting on skis
Skier
I put Salomon STH2 WTR 13 on mine this morning. I'm 5ft 10in, 202 lbs. All I can say so far is no problems so far :crossfingers:, but only 5 runs on them. For a light hearted comment on them see my posting in "Do you take your brand new skis down a green run for the first ever run?" from today.

TheMountain

At the base lodge
Skier
<flamesuit on>
@smithian - don't know if you've pulled the trigger on bindings yet; if not, I'd say that you may want to spend at least a little time researching KneeBindings, if protecting your knees is a consideration for you. They are possibly not for everyone [and are somewhat controversial, to say the least, in some respects; the president of that company really has not made a great impression on me], yet 30 minutes or so of research cannot hurt. Howell Ski Bindings is another possibility for additional knee protection, yet good luck finding a pair w/o waiting a year or so.

<knocking on wood> I've had positive experiences with mine (5 pairs of their Carbon bindings, and one pair of their Core bindings, on the skis in my quiver, and retention/release has been fine over the years). Only issue so far has been a broken adjuster on the toe-piece of one binding after a few years of use [and, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a bit disappointed in their lack of response to a request from my preferred ski shop re: a replacement part for that]. </knocking on wood> Just had a pair of Carbons put on my Renoun Atlas 184cm....and now itching to try them out on the slopes here in Vermont!
<flamesuit off>

I've also had great experiences with the Salomon bindings I've used in years past. [I'm 6'2", 218 lbs, advanced skier, btw - most of my time spent in the bumps and in the trees during normal lift operation hours (with just a little bit of time spent in the bar for apres after the lifts close...;)]

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy those Atlases, in any event!:)