• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Stoked! I got an email today telling me that I had qualified for the NASTAR nationals! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but it was cool to hear that. Must be an old guy thing... I'll have to look up the stats, I think the PugSki.com Friends & family team was in the top 10% nationally! Woo-hoo!!! Hopefully they'll still be running NASTAR at Park City and Deer Valley when I'm there week after next.

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Back in Utah in just over a week... ,

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really need to check in on the NASTAR Pugski.com group. Ashamed I don't.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Had to sign up for NASTAR in order to race at Bromley this Sunday. After 30 years of Bum and Beer league racing this is my first NASTAR run.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
:thumb: :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but one lung and a couple of remnant gangrenous toes qualifies you for Nastar nationals.

After 15 years of beer league I'm thinking of quitting. My daytime good-light free skiing is better than ever, including arc to arc high angle stuff. But my race results continue to decline. I had ONE decent run this year (on Wednesday). No platinums all season.

Of course that was one run out of a season long total of twelve runs in actual gates. That's right, TWELVE. Can't possibly get in the groove with that little practice. Our league has no provision for warm up runs.

Bottom line is that my free skiing is too precious to use vacation time and money on a camp. And my night vision is SO bad now that trying to perform in the dark is just an exercise in stupidity and frustration.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but one lung and a couple of remnant gangrenous toes qualifies you for Nastar nationals.
Yeah, I can remember when you had to be in the top 3 in your age and medal group to qualify-now all you need to do is do a run and make a payment. Still, I give NASTAR kudos for keeping on.

At age 68 I wonder how much longer I'll race, although I maintained and maybe even improved a little this year. My 35 year old daughter (who raced in high school) did our Tuesday morning races with me this season which was fun, and she's gunning for the old guy. Our final race was last Tuesday and I did well, considering I hadn't skied a course that long in a couple of years. Guess I 'm not selling the race stuff yet..........

Here's a look at our final:
2020 Beer League final.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
After about five years of not running gates, I did a couple of NASTAR runs in early January. Although it was on old 100mm waisted skis that hadn’t been tuned or waxed, I thought I had an OK run. I saw this thread so I switched my status from the epicski team to Pugski.com team. I doubt if I will do it again as my two runs left bruises on my arms and thighs for a month.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, I can remember when you had to be in the top 3 in your age and medal group to qualify-now all you need to do is do a run and make a payment. Still, I give NASTAR kudos for keeping on.

I haven't run a gate since I lived in Michigan. I did it twice on K2 Burnin Luvs and qualified for Nationals at Steamboat. I think I was 41 years old and qualified in my age. I really don't remember the details.

I'm not diminishing anyone's efforts because I certainly haven't taken the time to put in the time in gates and I'm sure I'd be a better skier if I did it.