• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Mustang Mach E Leaked! All Electric X-Over / AWD Option

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Seems like a legitimate option for ski country. Still sad that Ford thinks so little of it's branding capabilities that it chose to leverage (and dilute) its best name brand for this car.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
or maybe the opposite that they are making a statement of intent re the future of the muscle car being the 0-60 possibilities of an E -car....

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
or maybe the opposite that they are making a statement of intent re the future of the muscle car being the 0-60 possibilities of an E -car....
Could be. I'm not a muscle car purist. If the future of the Mustang is to rip out the V8s and Turbo 4's and replace them with batteries and electric motors, so be it. But a crossover with 4 doors should not be called a Mustang. I have no problem with Mach E but this is not a Mustang.

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Although most likely not upscale enough it would've been cool if they went after Porsche and named it Cayetana.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Could be. I'm not a muscle car purist. If the future of the Mustang is to rip out the V8s and Turbo 4's and replace them with batteries and electric motors, so be it. But a crossover with 4 doors should not be called a Mustang. I have no problem with Mach E but this is not a Mustang.
I agree it shouldn't be called a Mustang but I think their future plans include making Mustang it's own brand like Hyundai did with Genesis or Dodge with the Ram trucks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could care less about the naming stuff. Does anybody remember how pathetic the really Mustangs were?!

Aside from that, looks like a cool ski car, if long enough for skis inside.

Aside #2: I would order this car tomorrow if the GT version had a 5.0 V8. Ford would sell more Mustang Sportwagons than these e-cars.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Love everything I've seen about this design except a) VW's charging network is not built out yet and b) the all-electronic access is too tech-wanky.

The 240V wall socket charging regime is completely useless to me. Let's say I want to ski after work. Let's say I get 7 hours on the non-VW charger during work hours, that only gives me 154 miles of range. Ergo, I'm not making it back home from the resort unless the resort installs fast chargers. I might be able to do one or two days a week from remaindered home charging but no way can it be a regular thing. Stupid.

Still waiting on a vehicle dynamics/driving report. + the last thing I want is a lane keeping nanny.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I agree!! That is not a Mustang

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Mustang brand can be whatever it wants to be - and the proof is: every single Mustang II ever made, every single Fox body 4-cylinder Mustang ever made, and the current 6 cylinder obese pigs that can't get out of the way of a well driven Fiesta, let alone the ST.

Mustang has had more duds than winners under its moniker - I'm perfectly willing to buy this Mustang, once the fast charging network is built out.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
umm the new v6 mustang runs a 14.0 quarter miles...no way an ST is keeping up with that....the eco boost verison is less than 14.0 and easily tunable to GT power level with half a brain...more so than the GT.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
The Mustang brand can be whatever it wants to be - and the proof is: every single Mustang II ever made

If the point is that Mustangs have been different then I guess you're right. But they've had more in common than any of them do with this car. None have had 4 doors. None have had a crossover layout. None have been lifted....

Ford is terrified of having to build up a new brand name. (And for good reason: TaurusX, Freestyle, Flex,...) Presumably it's easier to take a name that already means something to most car buyers and apply it. The downside is that they are going to take a name that means something and turn it into a name that means nothing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Presumably it's easier to take a name that already means something to most car buyers and apply it.

Certainly. And if I was working for Ford I would have pushed to reuse the 'Thunderbird' name.

The downside is that they are going to take a name that means something and turn it into a name that means nothing.

Maybe; I'm not as sure as that.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I don't understand the whole CUV thing. You lose so much space with the slanted back window. Why not just do a wagon? Yeah, I know. Wagons are out of favor but they make so much more sense. ISO a nice, low mileage VW Sportwagen.:golfclap:

TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Appears Subaru is looking for a piece of this action -

evoltis-3.jpg

More details about the EV leaked out late last week via the Japanese auto website Response. The Subaru Evoltis will likely be an all-wheel-drive 280-horsepower electric crossover with about 300 miles of range. Of course, US range estimates will be much lower.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
EVs still have a way to go to work for me. It's over 250 miles from home to my VT condo. Very limited charging once I get there. Just doesn't work until the charging infrastructure is vastly improved. And it doesn't hours to fully charge versus minutes to fill the tank with gas.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Appears Subaru is looking for a piece of this action -

View attachment 100956

More details about the EV leaked out late last week via the Japanese auto website Response. The Subaru Evoltis will likely be an all-wheel-drive 280-horsepower electric crossover with about 300 miles of range. Of course, US range estimates will be much lower.

They really blew naming this one. Too close to Revolis. Did the Subaru designers lose their French curves?

Sponsor

Staff online