• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Chip, thanks, we’ve been discussing that but I’m sure it’s buried by now. That’s last years model with two strips of VMT. It’s still what I ski and love. The new version has three strips. Evolutionary not revolutionary

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Chip, thanks, we’ve been discussing that but I’m sure it’s buried by now. That’s last years model with two strips of VMT. It’s still what I ski and love. The new version has three strips. Evolutionary not revolutionary
Is it worth picking up the 82 or 92? For that price, I can still score a complementary Evolv100 or maybe a new Enforcer 104 Free.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it worth picking up the 82 or 92? For that price, I can still score a complementary Evolv100 or maybe a new Enforcer 104 Free.
I have a pair of Evolv100 (flat) for sale if you are interested. Brand new, still at my dealer because I thought I would ski out west this year, but I'm stuck at Belleayre (east) for the foreseeable future. I have them in 172cm, but my shop can change to other size if I want as long as they still have the size in stock. I can cut you a deal (say $475+shipping) or price match to a reasonable price for whatever you can find .

Reactions: Ron

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a pair of Evolv100 (flat) for sale if you are interested. Brand new, still at my dealer because I thought I would ski out west this year, but I'm stuck at Belleayre (east) for the foreseeable future. I have them in 172cm, but my shop can change to other size if I want as long as they still have the size in stock. I can cut you a deal (say $475+shipping) or price match to a reasonable price for whatever you can find .
I’d need them in 186.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a theory I've been kicking around: that float has more to do with total surface area and less about how much rocker a ski has. The first half of the season I had been on a pair of Dynastar Legend 88s (180cm) that have fairly sizable shovels, then switched to Elan Wingman 86 CTi (178cm), which has a much lower profile nose -- both skis have about the same surface area. The switch was motivated for better carving performance. But what I found surprising is that I don't feel like I've given up anything in off-piste performance; in some respects, I think I'm having more fun on the Wingmans in powder snow.

Could it be that rocker is not all that it's made out to be? As long as a ski is flexible in the front and has enough of a nose to generate lift to bend it up, isn't that all you need? I kind of suspect that excessive rocker is popular, not for the float, but because it shortens the effective edge, making the ski easier to ski. You get the surface area of a 185 with the turning ease of a 160.

This cagematch could be a good test of this theory, especially since there are reports that the V92 is more flexible than the Evolv90. For those who have tested both these skis, how much difference do you notice between the two in powder and crud?

(I just rode the V76 for the first time yesterday. What a blast!)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
float is a combo of mass and rocker. the rocker enable the ski to plane up but the mass is key. the Evolv has a bit more float and can handle crud a little better due to the added rocker that allows the ski to plane up better and release easier in variable snow. the Evolv is a bit stiffer as well;

and I'm not a fan of a lot of rocker, especially on front side skis.

Last edited:

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
I’m so jazzed about the idea of these skis. I tried the Kendo 88 and the Enforcer 88. Loved the Kendo, liked the Enforcer but did not like the rocker tips for what would be a totally frontside ski. What really caught my attention was SkiEssentials test of the Evolv90. Damp, smooth, crud busting, fast, awesome edge hold. That’s what I loved about the Kendo, but having a little bit lighter ski would be great because I’m looking for something to use here in PA when skiing with my daughter (8 next season) on greens and blues and then I can sneak off and rip some runs. I do like skiiing fast. Is the Evolv 90 a contender for me? I do like supporting smaller brands. Any changes for 20/21? (Note: I have a 75mm, 100mm, 125mm in my quiver)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m so jazzed about the idea of these skis. I tried the Kendo 88 and the Enforcer 88. Loved the Kendo, liked the Enforcer but did not like the rocker tips for what would be a totally frontside ski. What really caught my attention was SkiEssentials test of the Evolv90. Damp, smooth, crud busting, fast, awesome edge hold. That’s what I loved about the Kendo, but having a little bit lighter ski would be great because I’m looking for something to use here in PA when skiing with my daughter (8 next season) on greens and blues and then I can sneak off and rip some runs. I do like skiiing fast. Is the Evolv 90 a contender for me? I do like supporting smaller brands. Any changes for 20/21? (Note: I have a 75mm, 100mm, 125mm in my quiver)
Just cosmetic changes for the coming season.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Ditto what Ron said in his posts....V92 for more groomer-carving, less "freeride" feel (but still excellent in crud), the Evolv 90 for more 3D snow conditions, looser tail feel, more rockered feel fore and aft, with great grip under the midbody. For Mid-Atlantic 65/35 skiing, I would probably pick the V92. Evolv 90 has a wider terrain/surface operating envelope for all kinds of conditions, less pure-directional feel. Both skis are great...It's like picking between two excellent IPAs...do you like East coast IPA or West coast IPA? Mosaic hops or Citra hops?

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
do you like East coast IPA or West coast IPA? Mosaic hops or Citra hops?
Now my favorite west coast are evolving into hazy NE style IPA's! Haha. I feel like radius and carving is what might be the best fit in my quiver atm. The 90 evolv would overlap a bit with my 100 Supernaturals but sound like a more powerful tail. I do like a wider chassis being heavier and not afraid to put the wider ski on edge. It will prob come down to finding a great deal since this off season and giving them a rip!

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
If anyone is still interested in a great deal on a pair of these... there’s a Liberty warehouse sale. Great prices! Use code rideliberty for free shipping.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I just pulled the trigger today on a pair of 179cm Evolv90's that I found on Sierra for $199.
My reasoning was that they will be the softer-snow complements to my tried and true 177 Latigos. I figured I can't really go wrong at that price.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the 90 is a fantastic ski and quite versatile. it still engages very well on the groomed and I recently skied them in 6" and they were great. very nimble in bumps for a 90mm ski

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just pulled the trigger today on a pair of 179cm Evolv90's that I found on Sierra for $199.
I figured I can't really go wrong at that price.

Same here. Price was very compelling.
Any recommendations for a binding that's especially compatible with the Evolv90? Am 5'11 and 150 lbs.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid