• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 11.59.46 AM.png
Sibling rivalries ... why can’t we all just get along? No more long car rides with “He’s touching me” or “She’s looking at me.” As we discovered last year, Liberty became an overnight success with our readers, and it only took the company a bit over a decade to do so. How did this newfound love come to be? The V-Series boasts its Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) construction and a unique shape with an extended sidecut and low tip profile. The V92 (as well as its narrower siblings, the V76 and V82) quickly became a darling not only of our testers but of you the reader, too.

What did Liberty do as an encore for this season? Well, it smartly offered the V76 and V82 in women’s models, and it complemented the V-Series with the Evolv 90 and Evolv 100. Liberty's designers knew they had a good thing going with the VMT construction, so they went to the well once more and used it in a more off-piste/all-mountain shape, melding it with many of the attributes that made the Origin series popular. Voilà: the Evolv 90.
  • Why choose the V92? You have a PSIA or other technical background and want a wider ski -- but you still want the tail to follow the tip through all turns in all conditions.
  • Why choose the Evolv 90? You want one ski to rule them all. Many including myself have concluded that if you are going to have one ski to do most things, 90 mm is not a bad way to go. The Evolv 90 does so many things well, you forget its limitations; even trying to find them is a stretch.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
You nailed this one! My V92 goes just about everywhere and still truly excels on the groomed. I will say that although "wide carver" is technically correct, the skis quickness belies its width and at 17.5m provides enough thrill on groomed while handling bumps and a few inches with aplomb. Since I could never be happy with just one ski I lamented as to whether go with the Evolv 90 or 100 but in the end, I felt the V92 and the Evolv 100 was a great pair, however, the Evolv 90 is a superb ski and certainly ranks in the very top of the class in this category.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
You nailed this one! My V92 goes just about everywhere and still truly excels on the groomed. I will say that although "wide carver" is technically correct, the skis quickness belies its width and at 17.5m provides enough thrill on groomed while handling bumps and a few inches with aplomb. Since I could never be happy with just one ski I lamented as to whether go with the Evolv 90 or 100 but in the end, I felt the V92 and the Evolv 100 was a great pair, however, the Evolv 90 is a superb ski and certainly ranks in the very top of the class in this category.
So if someone split his time 50/50 between groom and off, you would go with Evolv 90? I got V76 for hard snow, trying to figure out if V92 or Evolv 90 complements on days with decent snow in North East.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So if someone split his time 50/50 between groom and off, you would go with Evolv 90? I got V76 for hard snow, trying to figure out if V92 or Evolv 90 complements on days with decent snow in North East.
If you have the V76, the Evolv 90 is the complement for it..between these two. But I would dismiss the Evolv 100 for additional seperation, if you are primarily east, the 90, if you spend more than 7-10 days west, the 100.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes, for my out west skiing, the Evolv 100's wider platform for crud skiing, heavy snow days is the progression of the 92 to 100, whereas the 76 or 82 to the Evolve 90 just makes sense. To be honest, I could actually own the V92 and the Evolv 90 and be happy. I don't normally ski on wider skis and the 90 would be absolutely superb for back bowl skied off days and trees where quickness counts and the Evolv has a bit more rocker and a slightly tapered tail for ease and release

Last edited:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If Liberty is listening (reading), I hope that you will have both of these skis available at Copper for demo.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
How approachable would you find these skis for a medium-heavy and somewhat athletic intermediate? I’m kind of debating one of these vs the navigator as a first ski in the Mid Atlantic: 65/35 ratio expected.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I think they are well-spaced. the V series is really versatile. Anything less than 10mm is kinda overlap.
I agree. I’d just love for Liberty to take a crack at competing in the ultra-stacked 88mm category with this ski. At 92, I’m not entirely sure what category it truly fits into. It just works, though!

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
most 88's are more aligned to the Evolv90. the 92 is kinda sorta in its own category.
That’s a good way of putting it.

For me and my current search, the Evolv90 and V92 both fit the bill. So well, in fact, that Liberty told me to flip a coin as to which ski they’d recommend to me between those two. They said either should be perfect.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
me too! :). So here's my .02, if you are going to be on more groomers, go with the 92, if more bumps and off piste, go Evolv90.
My entire being says "V92" but Western Washington says Evolv90 due to its better performance in crud and softer snow. The Evolv90 will just be a bit better for the majority of conditions I am likely to encounter, but I think the V92 is probably more suited to my preferred style of skiing.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
get the Evolv90 and dont look back. thats the right choice. the difference on the groomed is the Evol90 has a stiffer tail and there isn't as much shape to it so its not as engaging as the V92 but its still very good on the groomed. Where it has the advantage is that off piste and crud (for certain) the raised tip and tail (and slightly tapered tail) are better suited.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
My entire being says "V92" but Western Washington says Evolv90 due to its better performance in crud and softer snow. The Evolv90 will just be a bit better for the majority of conditions I am likely to encounter, but I think the V92 is probably more suited to my preferred style of skiing.

Based on what you have said in the other thread, I actually think that the Evolve is better suited for "your preferred style of skiing" which you described as "leisurely cruising" blue groomers. @Ron is right that the V92 is "better" and more engaging on groomers . . . IF you are driving the ski and actively pressuring the tips. On the other hand, if you are standing on the center of the ski, "cruising leisurely" I think that the looser shape of the Evolv 90 is better suited to that style, without giving up much connection and having comparable stability and snow feel. And the Evolv will be easier to manage off piste if your narrative is really cruise the blues, hit some soft snow, hit some bumps from time to time.

I think that part of the problem is that you might be over thinking this a bit and that some of the language being used here, in magazines, etc. . . and some of your assumptions aren't resonating with reality. There is no objective "better" - it really depends on a bunch of factors, the individual skier being a big one. For example, I think it is true that the V92 is "better" for carving groomed terrain if you have some basic, modern carving chops. But if you don't know how to do that or engage the ski properly, it will actually be worse (initially) than a looser shape with less tip engagement which would likely be easier, more fun and make you feel like a hero.

Listen to @Ron on this one. . . he knows this line of skis really well and is giving you the right answer without necessarily "showing his work" or telling you explicitly what he is picking up by intuition. I don't agree that the V92 is the "holy grail" for you but for the fact that it is 92 instead of 88. It isn't the width, it is the shape (the difference between 88 and 92 isn't really the story). FWIW, the V92 actually skis much narrower than its profile (which is why it is cool for the right skier).

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Based on what you have said in the other thread, I actually think that the Evolve is better suited for "your preferred style of skiing" which you described as "leisurely cruising" blue groomers. @Ron is right that the V92 is "better" and more engaging on groomers . . . IF you are driving the ski and actively pressuring the tips. On the other hand, if you are standing on the center of the ski, "cruising leisurely" I think that the looser shape of the Evolv 90 is better suited to that style, without giving up much connection and having comparable stability and snow feel. And the Evolv will be easier to manage off piste if your narrative is really cruise the blues, hit some soft snow, hit some bumps from time to time.

I think that part of the problem is that you might be over thinking this a bit and that some of the language being used here, in magazines, etc. . . and some of your assumptions aren't resonating with reality. There is no objective "better" - it really depends on a bunch of factors, the individual skier being a big one. For example, I think it is true that the V92 is "better" for carving groomed terrain if you have some basic, modern carving chops. But if you don't know how to do that or engage the ski properly, it will actually be worse (initially) than a looser shape with less tip engagement which would likely be easier, more fun and make you feel like a hero.

Listen to @Ron on this one. . . he knows this line of skis really well and is giving you the right answer without necessarily "showing his work" or telling you explicitly what he is picking up by intuition. I don't agree that the V92 is the "holy grail" for you but for the fact that it is 92 instead of 88. It isn't the width, it is the shape (the difference between 88 and 92 isn't really the story). FWIW, the V92 actually skis much narrower than its profile (which is why it is cool for the right skier).
I was just referring to the way I USED to ski on big 205cm GS skis and mach 3. That is what my head still tells me is fun. :cool:

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
get the Evolv90 and dont look back. thats the right choice. the difference on the groomed is the Evol90 has a stiffer tail and there isn't as much shape to it so its not as engaging as the V92 but its still very good on the groomed. Where it has the advantage is that off piste and crud (for certain) the raised tip and tail (and slightly tapered tail) are better suited.

Call and talk with a few of the guys at Liberty. I did...and my response was, “SOLD, sign me up!!!” Went with the 179cm Evolv 90 (waiting delivery/pickup) based upon my conversation and wanting the “easy-cruisy” ski for the frontside and groomers to hang with the family, but knowing that if I was “stuck” with them or picked the wrong pair...I’d still be happy!!! That was my impression from my conversation...your’s could be different.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
How approachable would you find these skis for a medium-heavy and somewhat athletic intermediate? I’m kind of debating one of these vs the navigator as a first ski in the Mid Atlantic: 65/35 ratio expected.

the V92 or Evolv90? define medium-heavy and whats your height? the V92 is an easy ski the Evolv90 is easy but has a noticeably stiffer tail. the V92 engages super easy and smooth with a tail that hooks up well but not like a race ski. I think it would be fine for intermediates.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Winks
    Something has gone terribly wrong
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January