• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Liberty V76

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doug Briggs: Liberty showed me that my conception of them as a freeride company was all wrong. The V76 is an outstanding ski. Easy to ski, ready to go, it handles the piste like a thoroughbred. I would consider this ski for my quiver if I had a vacancy.

Insider tip: Remember, you heard it hear first: the Liberty V-Series is damn good.​

Drahtguy Kevin: "Smooth and eager to please" describes this ski to a T. Getting in and out of turns is quick and energetic. A secure feel underfoot made me want to go faster and faster on the groomed and off. Whatever I threw at this ski was devoured with ease and comfort. One of the surprises of the testing season for me.

Insider tip: You’ll be hearing more about Liberty in the future.​

Philpug: Hmmm. Where did Liberty come from and when did they get on Pugski's radar? Well, it started last season when a mutual friend of Liberty and I suggested I look at them. While we didn’t have time to get them on the snow then, their finish did look far better than they did in years past. Fast forward to this year, the V-Series collection with VMT (Vertical Metal Technology) caught our attention because of their shape; then our partners at SkiEssentials.com announced that they were going to carry them, further solidifying their position in our testing rotation.

The shape just looked like fun, and any time a manufacturer brings a new flat ski in the low 80s, it draws our attention. The vertical metal additions to the bamboo core increase torsional rigidity and spring to the ski. These are not race skis, but they don’t claim to be, either.

Insider tip: Call Ski Essentials, and order NOW.​

UGASkiDawg: I had never been on a Liberty ski before and was very pleasantly surprised by this ski from brand everyone pegs as pure free ski company. The V76 rewards goods technique but doesn’t demand it. It stands up to power on piste but is versatile enough for forays off the groomed.

Insider tip: Check out their other skis; I sure will!​

FairToMiddlin: You can’t hear it from where you’re sitting, but the excited tone of my speech in the voice memo app recording, after clicking out of the V76, tells it all. This is a real ski, as in real good. Liberty is channeling a culture of ex-racer, high-level technique among its leadership, and exhibiting a creativity in ingredients and construction that indie companies often struggle to touch.

The V76 is a "Come Play With Me"* offering in the mid-70s recreational carver segment. Yin to the yang of the Atomic X9 WB’s burly scowl, the 76 still has excellent grip and stability, but wants to explore all over the mountain, whether it has been groomed or not. With a 14m radius at 172cm, it does everything quickly, but is still smooth and collected, eager without being psychotic. Off piste, it exudes confidence, and it feels … happy. It’s one of those skis where you get to the bottom and think, “Huh, that went by fast,” and only then do you realize your inner kid had taken over and (without bothering to let you know) grabbed your hand, dragging you down the hill at a much faster, much more instinctual level.

Liberty also gets massive credit (alongside Salomon, and another, yet-unnamed company) for caring to tune its demo ski fleet. Polished edges and smooth, flat bases made it easy to uncover the personality of their skis. It makes you wonder what other ski makers are thinking when they bring crappily tuned skis to a demo week where shops from around the country come to pick what they want to fill their ski wall with for next year .…

Awards
Who is it for?
People looking for a fun and forgiving but rewarding frontside ski with some versatility. For those who like their narrow skis to be fun and versatile, the V76 provides.
Who is it not for?
Conformists. If you aren’t ready to believe an indie company can make a thoughtful frontside ski, you’ll be missing out. Those not open to nonmainstream brands. Your loss.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 172, 179
Dimensions
126-76-106
Radius
15m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
Binding options
  1. Flat

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Wooohoo
What a fun ski
And for $299 from sierra trading post great deal
239C10F0-355F-4CDC-8E46-519B7408C4FF.jpeg

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Bought a second pair of V76’s last night... got the shorties, 165’s
@$199 !!!! Why not..

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The 2020 V76 has 3 strips of metal like V82 right? I think I might upgrade to the stiffer version at the end of the season. They just might be my perfect Belleayre skis.

Sponsor