• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Kästle DX85

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The DX85 is a replacement for the outgoing LX; it is also a MX Lite, closer in feel to the MX skis than the intermediate-inspired LX82s that are now extinct. As I was writing this, it hit me: these feel more like a replacement for the first-generation FXs. If you liked the on-piste feel of the old FX and miss it in the new FX, you will appreciate these.

Insider tip: These skis are ready for prime time; if you aren't sure whether you're ready, you probably aren't.​

Ron: If you have read other Pug testers' reviews already, you’re going to hear this again: MX Lite. Yep, I wondered about this ski after ripping down a cut-up groomer at decent speed with confidence. What was Kästle thinking? Hmm, this ski is nearly as stable, quick, smooth, and energetic as an MX. I think the DX label took a lot of us by surprise; it’s not your mother's DX. I do wonder how it will work for its intended lightweight skier. In any case, it is a really nice ski that performs at a high level.

Insider tip: Demo first.​

UGASkiDawg: I never got on the old Kästle LX series, but I had heard that it was a meh ski in its lineup. I’m an unabashed Kästle fanboy, having basically loved every one I’ve ever clicked into except the FX94 -- which I wasn’t thrilled by but was perfectly acceptable. I had low expectations for this ski, but was pleasantly surprised. It certainly doesn’t have the power and thrill of the MX series but on the other hand rewards the intermediate/advancing skier with that silky Kästle feeling in a more relaxed package. This is a ski that my wife who is technically competent but not much of a hard charger would have a blast on and would get off thinking that wasn’t hard which is exactly what she wants and needs!

Insider tip: Get them as a gift for your significant other who skis but doesn’t love skiing and watch them smile.​

Who is it for?
Well, who is it intended for? For lightweight skiers who possess the skills it wants, but you need to demo this ski if it is on your radar. The skier whose skill set is advancing and wants a premium-feeling ski that rewards competence but doesn’t demand it.
Who is it not for?
The hard-charging speed demon who thinks their ski choice should say something about them.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men