• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know the Evolv skis yet, just the VMT 92 and the Origins, which to me are different than what people are describing here - the VMT 92 being a more fan-shaped, forgiving and informal carver, and the Origins being too soft for that, but very good laid back slarvers and pivoting bump skis, more relaxing, you might say.

I've owned both the Atomic Ritual and the Rossi Experience 98, the first as a soft snow ski, the second as a fat, aggressively carvy, mostly groomer and some crud ski, for me. I can see the Ritual comparison to the MindBender 99, since both let you know they have a lot of side cut/side shape to them, and want you to flex the carve in a way that is very effected by that side shape, whereas the Bonafide (in my case the newer, last few year's versions rather than the original, since I'm lighter weight) is more straight forward in its side shape, more a "ride the edge," straighter carving ski, for me. With the Ritual, as to some degree the MB 99, one really notices the fatter tips to both, that are integral to what they do. But they are also fairly different.

The main way the MindBender 99 improves on the Ritual is that it is damper, with a better suspension, in uneven and crud: the Ritual could be thrown more in, say, rougher bump crud; the MB 99 does not have that problem. To me, the 177 MB version is better for more bumps but still charges and does crud well; the 184 version is better for charging and powder/crud skiing, but does bumps well also. Great ski.

If the Liberty Evolv 100 is in the same league, I better finally try a pair when I can. (I've been somewhat hindered from this the past few weeks, I must admit. :huh:)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I might have said it earlier, but first anyone who was a fan of the Experience 98 or 100, an Evolve 100 should be on your short list.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I might have said it earlier, but first anyone who was a fan of the Experience 98 or 100, an Evolve 100 should be on your short list.
But I have to ask, is the Evolv 100 more versatile than the Experience 98, for example in bumps and off piste, and maybe even on a powder/crud day?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
But I have to ask, is the Evolv 100 more versatile than the Experience 98, for example in bumps and off piste, and maybe even on a powder/crud day?

It's what the E-98/100 should have evolved into. To answer your questions, yes.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I loved my Experience 98. Seemed like the Experience 98/100 didn't get much love. Looks like I would like this one, but I've been going in the opposite direction ....narrower and narrower.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I loved my Experience 98. Seemed like the Experience 98/100 didn't get much love. Looks like I would like this one, but I've been going in the opposite direction ....narrower and narrower.

You're on the right ski for what you're working on! (But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.... :) )

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely agree. I am feeling very good about my set up for what I am working on!

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
The main way the MindBender 99 improves on the Ritual is that it is damper, with a better suspension, in uneven and crud: the Ritual could be thrown more in, say, rougher bump crud; the MB 99 does not have that problem. To me, the 177 MB version is better for more bumps but still charges and does crud well; the 184 version is better for charging and powder/crud skiing, but does bumps well also. Great ski.

I have the 177 Minderbender 99 Ti and after 8 days combined at Killington and Big Sky have found it to be excellent in large/small soft/rounded bumps and the same for western glades. It also has been excellent in chopped up crud blasting through like a bulldozer while solid at speed with good edge hold on groomers and hardpack making medium radius and gs turns. I've only skied it in 3"-5" of powder or gun snow but had good float and maneuverability. For me a great all mountain ski BUT I am 6' and 240 lbs and a lighter skier may find them more work. Sadly as all slopes have been closed I cannot report on spring corn snow performance but I expect it to be delightful.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm both shorter, lighter, and have skied the MB 99 in the 184... pretty much what you said. Didn't think it was hard to ski at all.
The big difference between the two is the tip. The MB has more rise which makes it feel less accurate above the fall line for folk who care about that sort of thing.
The MB99 is a hoot in slopy spring corn! Sort of an auto pilot ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm both shorter, lighter, and have skied the MB 99 in the 184... pretty much what you said. Didn't think it was hard to ski at all.
The big difference between the two is the tip. The MB has more rise which makes it feel less accurate above the fall line for folk who care about that sort of thing.
The MB99 is a hoot in slopy spring corn! Sort of an auto pilot ski.
And it does this in spring slush at most any speed. The right length for me. But the more I'd be skiing bumps, the more I'd like the 179.

It's sort of rare for me to like both lengths of the same model - mid to high 170s and low 180s - equally. But in this case I pretty much did.

The MB 99s and the MB 108s: what a great pair of skis. Home run for K2.

P.S. Next year's (20/21) Nordica Enforcer 100/186(?) version really does improve on an already great ski, with better tail carving/tracking on groomers and such. It thus holds an edge better if you want it to. To me, it was just what this top ski needed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And it does this in spring slush at most any speed. The right length for me. But the more I'd be skiing bumps, the more I'd like the 179.

It's sort of rare for me to like both lengths of the same model - mid to high 170s and low 180s - equally. But in this case I pretty much did.

The MB 99s and the MB 108s: what a great pair of skis. Home run for K2.

P.S. Next year's (20/21) Nordica Enforcer 100/186(?) version really does improve on an already great ski, with better tail carving/tracking on groomers and such. It thus holds an edge better if you want it to. To me, it was just what this top ski needed.

Sidebar: Why are you Ski Otter 2? Were you the second Ski Otter on the site? Seems unlikely. Is this your second incarnation (after EpicSki)?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sidebar: Why are you Ski Otter 2? Were you the second Ski Otter on the site? Seems unlikely. Is this your second incarnation (after EpicSki)?
When Epic ended and pugski started, the site wouldn't let me sign in/sign up simply as ski otter or ski otter 1, saying the name was taken. To me, just another in a long line of online glitches, work-arounds. Doesn't really matter, but I'd prefer just "Ski Otter," or "Ski Otter 1," actually.

And "Otter" was a nickname I've had for a number of decades, sometimes shortened to "O.T."

Last edited:

KarsonR

Booting up
Skier
For the those who have been on the evolv 100, this Q is for you. I'm torn on sizing, I'm 6'3" 210 aggressive skier and I'm not sure if the effective edge on the 186 is too long and I should size down to the 179. Or is the 179 not enough ski to support skiing fast and busting crud? Is the added length only in the shovel or is the edge longer too?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the those who have been on the evolv 100, this Q is for you. I'm torn on sizing, I'm 6'3" 210 aggressive skier and I'm not sure if the effective edge on the 186 is too long and I should size down to the 179. Or is the 179 not enough ski to support skiing fast and busting crud? Is the added length only in the shovel or is the edge longer too?
For your size, I would say the 186 if you are more aggressive and skiing faster wide open spaces. If you are in the East and maybe sticking to the trees, the 179. It is a pretty stout ski and will hold your 210lb up fine.

Reactions: Ron

KarsonR

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the origin 112 in a 192 as my west coast ski and the origin 96 as a east coast powder. I'm in need of a good ski for groomers, crud and a few inches of pow. I probably do 12 days West and 12 days East

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
personally, I wouldn't want a 100 underfoot, thats more like 84-90 YMMV.

But this is about Karson, not us. :)

For Karson, 186 like Phil sed. And FWIW, if someone wants a piste worthy 100, the Evolve is one of the best in the category.

Last edited:

KarsonR

Booting up
Skier
I usually ride 96-98 as a daily. I just wanted to make sure that the evolv 186 wouldn't be too cumbersome, but I do see what Phil is saying about 179 for East and 186 for west

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid