• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
K2 Mindbender 99 or 90 vs. Liberty Evolv 100 or 90...is there one that is considered easier more forgiving which would be a direct compare to the Blizzard Rustler 9 and differences good or bad?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
K2 Mindbender 99 or 90 vs. Liberty Evolv 100 or 90...is there one that is considered easier more forgiving which would be a direct compare to the Blizzard Rustler 9 and differences good or bad?
These more go up against the Brahma and Bonafide in feel and direction. The Rustler 9 is more on the playful off piste bias side.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
These more go up against the Brahma and Bonafide in feel and direction. The Rustler 9 is more on the playful off piste bias side.

In the 88 to 95 category what would you recommend to look at as direct compare to the Rustler 9?

Reactions: MAB

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
In the 88 to 95 category what would you recommend to look at as direct compare to the Rustler 9?

Salomon QST 92, Fisher Ranger 94 FR, Line Sick Day 94, K2 Mindbender 90 Ti are all similar options in this range.

Skied the Rustler 9 last year and thought it was a very good one ski quiver as it’s a fun carver and it does well off piste or with a bit of snow.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd love to see a cage match btw the MB99 and the Rustler 10...
maybe next year...
The Rustler 10 would go up against the new K2 Reckoner 104.

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
Hmm tough choice for me. Too bad season ended early and didn’t get to demo. Need an in between for day after the storm crud busting. My favorite skis now are 177cm monster 88 no new snow ski which I LOVE on groomers and bumps and a 185cm Line influence 115 powder day ski which I also love. I was going to demo mindbender 99, bonafide, mantra 102 and Kastle 106. or just find a monster 98 since I love my 88- stiff but predictable shape and non punishing tail. I can’t stand tails that are unforgiving in bumps like the old MX 88 and stomrider 88(not as much as mx88 but still way less forgiving than my monster 88).

Any thoughts if I’d like one of these?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hmm tough choice for me. Too bad season ended early and didn’t get to demo. Need an in between for day after the storm crud busting. My favorite skis now are 177cm monster 88..

Probably the Evolve 100.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hmm tough choice for me. Too bad season ended early and didn’t get to demo. Need an in between for day after the storm crud busting. My favorite skis now are 177cm monster 88 no new snow ski which I LOVE on groomers and bumps and a 185cm Line influence 115 powder day ski which I also love. I was going to demo mindbender 99, bonafide, mantra 102 and Kastle 106. or just find a monster 98 since I love my 88- stiff but predictable shape and non punishing tail. I can’t stand tails that are unforgiving in bumps like the old MX 88 and stomrider 88(not as much as mx88 but still way less forgiving than my monster 88).

The skis that are the best for high speed crud busting aren’t usually the best for mogul skiing but there are skis that are pretty good in both.
The Monster 98 was a great carving and charger ski on groomers but not as fun in bumps and it’s blunt tip shape it’s not as good in crud compared to today’s more versatile chargers.
The Mantra 102 would be the most similar to a “new and improved” Monster 98/108 that is effortless at speed but more versatile than the Monsters ever were. Still a lot of work in bumps and tight spaces in longer lengths though.
Bonafide and Mindbender 99 Ti both have solid weights to help them in crud but again, not the easiest in super tight spaces or in bumps with their heavier weight and stiff tails. The 2021 Bonafide promises to be a have a little more forgiving tails without losing much in crud performance so it’s definitely a “must demo” next year I think.

2021 Enforcer 100 would also be a great compromise between crud busting and moguls as it’s swing weight is low(but solid weight for crud) and has a nice balanced flex pattern. The Enforcer 104 is even better in bumps with it’s increased tail rocker but gives up a bit of hard snow grip in the tail vs the 2021 E100.

Kästle 106 and Evolv 100 much lighter than any of the above skis, so charging crud is not their strong suits but their light weight and more forgiving flex makes them far more playful in the bumps.

Definitely demo a few skis in this group to see what ski gives up the least of your priorities.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, the Evolve 100 is not particularly light at all. I've skied it both alpine and teley, and find it takes care of most (but not all) of the ground covered by a Monster 98 in what will be for most a more manageable package. It works fine in crud.

Of all the skis you mentioned, what have you skied on?

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
The skis that are the best for high speed crud busting aren’t usually the best for mogul skiing but there are skis that are pretty good in both.
Bonafide and Mindbender 99 Ti both have solid weights to help them in crud but again, not the easiest in super tight spaces or in bumps with their heavier weight and stiff tails. The 2021 Bonafide promises to be a have a little more forgiving tails without losing much in crud performance so it’s definitely a “must demo” next year I think.

Definitely demo a few skis in this group to see what ski gives up the least of your priorities.

First - demo, demo, demo !!!!

I bought the K2 Mindbender 99 Ti this year and found them to be very comfortable in large, SOFT bumps. I have also enjoyed them in western glades and blasting through chopped up crud. Solid at speed both on groomers and hardpack. I doubt they would work well in hard moguls.

Demoed them on Killington Outer Limit moguls.

20200129_130337[1].jpg
20200130_084620[1].jpg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
First - demo, demo, demo !!!!

I bought the K2 Mindbender 99 Ti this year and found them to be very comfortable in large, SOFT bumps. I have also enjoyed them in western glades and blasting through chopped up crud. Solid at speed both on groomers and hardpack. I doubt they would work well in hard moguls.

Demoed them on Killington Outer Limit moguls.

The Mindbender 99 Ti like any ski could be skied in moguls but it’s stiffer tail and heavier weight(esp in the 184cm) make it less forgiving than some other options. Bad mogul techniques like “getting in the backseat” will be punished more with any stiffer tailed ski so the 99Ti is not alone being a little more demanding in bumps. Skis like this keep you humble. Lol
The much lighter Mindbender 90 Ti is an absolute blast in bumps but gives up stability compared to the 99Ti when it comes blasting crud at high speeds.

I like the Mindbender series a lot but would love it even more if they added some weight in the 90Ti for afternoon crud and that the 99 Ti were a bit stiffer in the tip/shovel and maybe a hair softer in the tail for a bit more forgiveness in trees/bumps. Would make it more versatile for a larger audience I think. Really loved the MB 108Ti as well!

FWIW, the Evolve 100 is not particularly light at all. I've skied it both alpine and teley, and find it takes care of most (but not all) of the ground covered by a Monster 98 in what will be for most a more manageable package. It works fine in crud.

Skied every one except for the 2021 Bonafide and 2021 Enforcer 100 but lots of time of the previous versions over the years, still currently own the Enforcer 104 and have had many friends that own current Enforcers/Bonafides and have all been very impressed with the new 2021 versions. Wouldn’t be surprised if I have a new Brahma and/or Enforcer 94(owned the 93) by next Fall.

Every ski has strengths, weaknesses and compromises as everyone knows. The Bonafide/Enforcer will not be as great carving smooth, firm groomers as the Evolv 100 and they won’t be as easy to pivot in soft snow and trees like an Origin 106. The Evolv 100 aren’t light skis(average weight for their class) but about 200-300grams plus lighter than a comparable mid-180cm 2021 Bonafide/Enforcer 100/99 Ti that also feature a more tapered and smoother sloped tips that are less catchy. Evolv 100 is good in crud, the Enforcer/Bonafide/99 Ti are even better. The Fisher 102 FR (which I own as well) is another great ski in this range that is stiffer overall with less tail rocker than my Enforcer 104, so less forgiving in bumps but better carving and more stable on groomers.
I like the Evolv series(especially the 90 in bumps) but like the Mindbender 90 Ti, wish they were a bit stiffer in the tip/shovel and a bit heavier overall for variable afternoon conditions.

Monster 98 did have a “wide carver” type shape like the Evolv 100 so it would ski somewhat similar but the Monster 98 177cm was much stiffer throughout and 400 grams heavier than the 179cm Evolv. So much damper and more stable especially over variable snow. Evolv WAY easier to ski(esp off piste) as you said and you don’t need to ski at 45-50mph plus on the Evolv 100 to get them to really come into their own like the wide Monsters.The 98 and 108 Monsters were fantastic chargers but very one dimensional with skis like the Mantra 102 and upcoming Katana 108 much easier to ski all over the mountain. Still pondering adding a Mantra 102 to my quiver as I loved them so much on afternoon groomers. I could quit buying skis anytime though....haha

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you sure you live in Ontario?

The Mindbender 99 Ti like any ski could be skied in moguls but it’s stiffer tail and heavier weight(esp in the 184cm) make it less forgiving than some other options. Bad mogul techniques like “getting in the backseat” will be punished more with any stiffer tailed ski so the 99Ti is not alone being a little more demanding in bumps. Skis like this keep you humble. Lol
The much lighter Mindbender 90 Ti is an absolute blast in bumps but gives up stability compared to the 99Ti when it comes blasting crud at high speeds.

I like the Mindbender series a lot but would love it even more if they added some weight in the 90Ti for afternoon crud and that the 99 Ti were a bit stiffer in the tip/shovel and maybe a hair softer in the tail for a bit more forgiveness in trees/bumps. Would make it more versatile for a larger audience I think. Really loved the MB 108Ti as well!

Skied every one except for the 2021 Bonafide and 2021 Enforcer 100 but lots of time of the previous versions over the years, still currently own the Enforcer 104 and have had many friends that own current Enforcers/Bonafides and have all been very impressed with the new 2021 versions. Wouldn’t be surprised if I have a new Brahma and/or Enforcer 94(owned the 93) by next Fall.

Every ski has strengths, weaknesses and compromises as everyone knows. The Bonafide/Enforcer will not be as great carving smooth, firm groomers as the Evolv 100 and they won’t be as easy to pivot in soft snow and trees like an Origin 106. The Evolv 100 aren’t light skis(average weight for their class) but about 200-300grams plus lighter than a comparable mid-180cm 2021 Bonafide/Enforcer 100/99 Ti that also feature a more tapered and smoother sloped tips that are less catchy. Evolv 100 is good in crud, the Enforcer/Bonafide/99 Ti are even better. The Fisher 102 FR (which I own as well) is another great ski in this range that is stiffer overall with less tail rocker than my Enforcer 104, so less forgiving in bumps but better carving and more stable on groomers.
I like the Evolv series(especially the 90 in bumps) but like the Mindbender 90 Ti, wish they were a bit stiffer in the tip/shovel and a bit heavier overall for variable afternoon conditions.

Monster 98 did have a “wide carver” type shape like the Evolv 100 so it would ski somewhat similar but the Monster 98 177cm was much stiffer throughout and 400 grams heavier than the 179cm Evolv. So much damper and more stable especially over variable snow. Evolv WAY easier to ski(esp off piste) as you said and you don’t need to ski at 45-50mph plus on the Evolv 100 to get them to really come into their own like the wide Monsters.The 98 and 108 Monsters were fantastic chargers but very one dimensional with skis like the Mantra 102 and upcoming Katana 108 much easier to ski all over the mountain. Still pondering adding a Mantra 102 to my quiver as I loved them so much on afternoon groomers. I could quit buying skis anytime though....haha

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Are you sure you live in Ontario?

Afraid so!!!!:doh:

Drive 3 to 3.5 hours each way to ski on 500-750 vert feet hills about 30-40 plus days a year but always make it out somewhere West each year too. Did 18 days in Utah this year with my Bibby’s and Menace 98s. Sold the Menace 98s mid vacation to get the Fisher 102FR as the 98s were too much work off piste. Should have just brought the Enforcer 104s but kinda liking the strengths/weaknesses on the Fisher 102FR more.

So high speed groomer and mogul ripping in Ontario and then mostly off piste out West. Will eventually retire somewhere out West in the Winters I’m sure.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
IMHO, the MB 99 is completely at home in weird, arrhythmic western bumps. It's incredibly easy to ski, including funky large spring glopp'o bumps... it just bends very well into whatever shape it needs to go. Not my favorite groomer 99, but for anyone skiing a 99 most of their days off piste, it works very well.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMHO, the MB 99 is completely at home in weird, arrhythmic western bumps. It's incredibly easy to ski, including funky large spring glopp'o bumps... it just bends very well into whatever shape it needs to go. Not my favorite groomer 99, but for anyone skiing a 99 most of their days off piste, it works very well.

I’m increasingly coming to the view that the MB99 Ti i demoed must have had an awful tune. I much prefer the Volkl Mantra 102 basically everywhere, including bumps, except really soft snow.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tune can have an INCREDIBLE effect on a ski. I posted in another thread that I tried a Rustler 9 this winter that actually scared me. I couldn't stop tripping over the ski as it caught in the tails. I landed on my ass at least twice in a 30 minute demo. I know I'm not the best technician in the world...but I tried three other skis and my own that day and had none of those problems.

Rep said he had tuned all the demos for the hardpack conditions he expected. I suspect he left a huge hanging burr on the edges.

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier

I haven’t demoed the 100ish this year besides a mantra v werks in a 177cm and preferred my 177cm monster 88 on groomers and bumps. More damp and stable, easier tail. No crud that day. In the past, I’ve skied the bmx 105 found it simple and easy to ski. I have a pair each of the 186cm Nordica hell and back(worn out)and almost new 2012 Enforcer(love the stability and grip on groomers but too long and stiff for off-piste/bumps) I would probably love this ski in a179). also have a186cm line supernatural 108. Too long and too long tr for my taste.

In contrast I dont like the tails of the mx88 or stormrider88/95). not a matter of stiffness as you can tell but unforgiving/don’t release). I know one would think this is a tail rocker issue but my love of non tail rockered skis like th monster 88 refute this.

I’m confident I like stiff damp stable traditionally shaped skis 177-180 that have little taper for traditional turn initiation and don’t have a punishing/locked in tail. Not sure if this helps. Ps when I say good in bumps, I don’t mean small rutted our bumps, I mean good shaped(round and at least medium size)bumps that form on most blacks on aspen mountain. TIA

Sponsor

Staff online