• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

PowderChicken

Booting up
Skier
Hi PowderChicken!

Welcome! I have the 90TI in 170. I am 5'8, 170 and would say that we are pretty similar types skiers / skill level. I have also skied a lot of the same terrain at both at WP and Steamboat. I spent a lot of time on the Sunshine Lift at Steamboat last week and also at Mary Jane at WP earlier in the season. I took a Level 6 group lesson at Steamboat and we did a lot of drills progressing through the easy blue terrain on Sunshine to the somewhat steeper terrain ending with our last run on Heavenly Daze. I probably could have taken the Level 7 lesson, but the Level 6 was still very good.

Prior to the mindbender I was skiing on Volkl RTM 78s. I still plan on keeping these skis, but I noticed that I struggled when venturing off-piste (e.g. Parsenn Bowl @ WP) or when conditions are more variable. Skied at Squaw about a month ago when it was rain/snowing with the Volkls and it was not fun. In 3 days at Steamboat, I had no issues with the mindbender. We didn't get any fresh snow, but every day started out in the 20s, and by the afternoon the snow was pretty soft as the temps had warmed up to the 40s. Probably a combination of the lesson helping and the skis. Definitely felt more comfortable and could handle a lot more terrain compared to the Volkls. Looking at my ski tracker, I was skiing mostly in the 35-45 mph range, peaked at around 50. The mindbender felt stable and I could have pushed them more if I wanted too.

As a side note, I recently demoed a handful of skis at Whitetail, including the Enforcer 88, 93 and Brahma. Of the 3, I felt the 93 and Brahma were pretty demanding skis...too much for me. The 88 wasn't as bad, but the Mindbender is just a really just a fun and versatile ski.

For a boot fitter, I recommend Brian Eardley at Alpine Ski Shop in Fairfax. He takes appointments, is very knowledgeable and a nice guy. He is also a coach for one of the youth race teams at Liberty or Round Top. Suggest making an appointment in the fall before things get crazy leading up to Christmas.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kcip, it really does help. Thanks for the boot fitter recommendation, I'll have to jot that one down and check them out.

A few follow ups:

Did you try the 90 @ 177?
@ 170 does it feel true to that size, ski short or long?
Did you happen to try the 99 before settling on the 90? If so, thoughts on differences? (Edge to edge, width, on/off piste if applicable).

I am not opposed to purchasing a bit longer, but I also don't want to drive something I won't be comfortable on. I wouldn't be opposed to going a bit longer and mounting +1 or 2 (based on advice from gear nerds). Oh spring, why are you here...

Thanks again (and hey, no bullets this time!). :)

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Kcip, it really does help. Thanks for the boot fitter recommendation, I'll have to jot that one down and check them out.

A few follow ups:

Did you try the 90 @ 177?
@ 170 does it feel true to that size, ski short or long?
Did you happen to try the 99 before settling on the 90? If so, thoughts on differences? (Edge to edge, width, on/off piste if applicable).

I am not opposed to purchasing a bit longer, but I also don't want to drive something I won't be comfortable on. I wouldn't be opposed to going a bit longer and mounting +1 or 2 (based on advice from gear nerds). Oh spring, why are you here...

Thanks again (and hey, no bullets this time!). :)
The 170s felt good. not too long or short. I did not try the 177s or 99.

Sponsor

Staff online