• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

This week on Chairlift Chat we take a look at the new 2020 K2 Mindbender 90 Ti! Easily one of the most versatile skis in this width range. We're pretty stoked on the new collection as a whole! This thing made me feel like I actually know how to ski bumps...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried the women's 88ti last week. My impressions line up almost perfectly with your write up. What to you know about the differences, if any, between the 88ti Alliance and the unisex 90ti? Thanks in advance.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Rossi E88's, this should be on my short list as I'm looking for a more bump friendly 90ish ski.

MikeSki

Booting up
Skier
Hi Guys
Ive just picked up a pair of these 90Ti's . Any recommendations on mounting, go with factory , or a little forward ?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi Guys
Ive just picked up a pair of these 90Ti's . Any recommendations on mounting, go with factory , or a little forward ?

The mount on the 90Ti and 99Ti are 11cm back of center and the 108Ti is 9.75cm back from center so all pretty traditional. Moving a 90Ti forward a touch would make it a touch more playful without losing much stability. Can usually move any mount plus/minus a couple of cm without issue although I definetly wouldn’t be moving these mounts backwards at all. Moving these +2cm would be similar to an Enforcer ski mount or +1 would still be -1cm on an Enforcer.

Some K2 pros are riding these WAY forward(+6cm or -3.75cm from center on the 108Ti) which I wouldn’t recommend but it goes to show they have a large mounting sweet spot. I tried the 99Ti at both recommended and plus 2cm and worked great at either.

If you’re used to more forward mounts in other free style/free ride type skis, there shouldn’t be an issue moving forward a bit. If you’re used to traditional mounted skis, the factory line is perfect.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied both the 90 and 99 in a 177 on the line and they were perfect, I would not want them .01cm up from that. For a point of reference I also ski most every 177-180 ski in this class on the line too. Now, if I was going with a 184...I might consider moving it up but IMHO if I have to go with a 184..it would be on the wrong ski and I should be looking elsewhere.

MikeSki

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Guys!
Much appreciated, ill go with the standard .

Im currently on the Black Crows 172 Orb ( 2 sheets of Metal ),Powerful ski . Ive now got the 90Ti in a 170 . Anyone skied both ?. Im hoping its a little more playful than the Orb as its a touch stiff and takes heaps of skier input 90% of the time .Im 5'8 160 pounds

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wrote this on another thread for a person asking about the 99Ti vs the 90Ti or 108Ti.

The 99Ti is the heaviest of the series(2300-2350grams in the 184cm) with the 108Ti(2200 grams in 186cm) being a softer flex and lighter than the 99Ti. 108Ti Mount is moves up 1.25cm forward in the 108Ti compared to the 99Ti or 90Ti as well.

The 90Ti felt pretty similar flex wise to the 99Ti with the 90Ti maybe a bit stiffer but a decent amount lighter(2050 grams in 184cm).

So the 90Ti feels similar to the the 99Ti but will not quite be as good through crud as it’s 1/2 pound lighter and not as wide. 90Ti is quicker edge to edge and a little more playful I found.

Still think you’d like the 90Ti if you liked the 99Ti but it won’t be quite the crud cruiser the 99Ti is. Keep in mind the Mindbender 90Ti is still heavier than skis like the Rustler 9 or Brahma so it still has weight behind it. Enforcer 93 would be in between the 90Ti and 99Ti weights for reference.

I’d happily own the 90Ti myself as it’s a little more playful than the Enforcer but more dampness and backbone than a Rustler 9 for example.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks
Just spent a few days on the 90, bloody awesome

Good to hear you’re liking it! You liking it more than the Black Crows I take it then? Never been on the Orb but reviews said it was lighter and just about as stiff as the Mindbender with similar mount points. Figured the Mindbender should be damper and nicer in crud than the Orb based on specs.

MikeSki

Booting up
Skier
Good to hear you’re liking it! You liking it more than the Black Crows I take it then? Never been on the Orb but reviews said it was lighter and just about as stiff as the Mindbender with similar mount points. Figured the Mindbender should be damper and nicer in crud than the Orb based on specs.
Love it!

I think it kills the Orb , the Orb is stiffer, especially in the Tips and takes heaps of input with minimal reward. The Mindbender charges but feels way more balanced. It inspires confidence and in the right hands is an absolute allrounder weapon.

Its so fast edge to edge it feels super light under the feet, skied icy morning to slushy arvo and it ate it all up. Im sure it will smash the powder and it was super smooth in the deep slush on some of the off piste.

Cant talk highly enough of this ski. Intermediates looking to progress should be seriously looking at this ski, its a hero ski for sure.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Love it!

I think it kills the Orb , the Orb is stiffer, especially in the Tips and takes heaps of input with minimal reward. The Mindbender charges but feels way more balanced. It inspires confidence and in the right hands is an absolute allrounder weapon.

Its so fast edge to edge it feels super light under the feet, skied icy morning to slushy arvo and it ate it all up. Im sure it will smash the powder and it was super smooth in the deep slush on some of the off piste.

Cant talk highly enough of this ski. Intermediates looking to progress should be seriously looking at this ski, its a hero ski for sure.

Awesome! Really is a fantastic ski and a great series from K2.

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
I ended up buying these skis before my recent trip to Steamboat. Skied them for 3 days last week. They were awesome. Agree with MikeSki that these are a great ski for a progressing intermediate.

PowderChicken

Booting up
Skier
I ended up buying these skis before my recent trip to Steamboat. Skied them for 3 days last week. They were awesome. Agree with MikeSki that these are a great ski for a progressing intermediate.

Upfront question/statement: What size did you go with? The 90s? or the 99s? This series of ski really has me interested! I hopped in here from lurker status because I have the most experience out west @ Steamboat and was hoping you (or others) could relate / offer insight. I do intend to demo next season before I buy anything.

Hey all, first post. Thanks in advance for the great feedback and thanks for all the first hand info up thread here and on the 99 thread. (Sorry for the lengthy add to this discussion).

Name explanation: I'm a UDel Blue Hen alum, and a powder hound, hence PowderChicken.

Profile:
  • Mid 30s, 6' 220+
    • Athletic for my size but not a ballerina
    • More bruiser/linebacker/full back type than lengthy/rangy basketball guard
    • Working on changing my year over year strength/conditioning/agility towards our sport
      • Prefers walking/spinning/playing basketball/strength training
      • I don't run for distance
    • Rides an office chair more than a chair lift. :-(
  • Experience
    • 10 seasons (+/- a year)
    • Mostly ice-coast / mid-Atlantic background
      • Wisp in MD
      • Roundtop in PA
      • Some Poconos trips
    • Venturing out west more and more
      • Primarily family oriented to Steamboat & Winter Park thus far
    • Skied 8 days this season
      • Goal is 12~15 near year
        • Forgive me as I am a flat-lander from Maryland with a day job :-(
  • I would judge myself to be a level 2 skier
    • Or a level 6 skier based on https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/ability-levels (just for reference)
    • Can carve/slarv turns
    • Feels confident making linked GS style turns of varying sizes on blue groomers
      • I don't really find a speed limit on greens
      • I completely admit they aren't race/competition/technically ideal
    • Runs I absolutely love carving at speeds in the 30-40 mph zone
      • Heavenly Daze @ Steamboat
      • Mary Jane Trail @ Winter Park
      • Minute man @ Roundtop
      • Buddy's Run/Over the Edge / Mainstreet / Bobcats bowl @ Wisp
    • This year is the first year I have purposefully ventured into bumps & off piste in the trees
      • Bumps on Surprise / Northern / White Out / Tomahawk / Flintlock @ Steamboat
      • Bump'd portion of Mary Jane trail just this past weekend @ WP
      • Trees on the easier terrain of WP along High Lonesome lift
      • I need work on this, but I am seeking it out
    • I am still nervous about steeper terrain, but that is my goal for next season
    • Powder skills:
      • Less than ideal
      • 3~6" fresh is great!
      • 20+" @ Steamboat on 1/26/2019 was the best "worst" day of skiing I've ever had
      • I'm still learning "3D" techniques
  • Current equipment:
    • 2008 K2 Apache Recons
      • 74 under foot
      • 174 long
      • 17m sidecut
      • Tips are starting to delam, and while I may keep these oldies, it's time to think about replacement
    • Nordica boots
      • Forgive me here, as I don't know flex on these or model
      • They do fit surprisingly well for NOT being fitted
        • Forgive me for what I did not known 11 years ago
      • Also from 2008 vintage
      • These will be replaced for next season
      • I DO plan on working with a boot fitter to find what is right for my feet and style
        • I am open to MD/PA/DE boot fitters if anyone has recommendations w/ a 2 hour radius around Baltimore
          • (off topic, PM's welcome, or I'll take this to a new thread before next season)

Thread related / why I'm here:
  • I will demo before I buy
  • I am brand loyal
    • But I will explore other options
    • Other options I am planning on demoing next year
      • ON3P Wren 96s
      • Icelantic Pioneer 96 / Nomad 95
        • I am a directional skier, but I am interested in US Made stuff
      • Nordica Enforcer 93s/100s
      • Head Kore 93/99
  • I will still probably spend 65~75% of my time on piste w/ the family,
    • I want my skills to progress and I do feel that I am starting to find the limits of my current skis for my ability
  • This line really interests me from the all mountain aspects
    • Especially the crud busting ability combined w/ some float but most importantly
    • Being able to still carve on piste
  • I spent more time out west this past season than I did in the east
  • I am stuck on this:
    • Is the 90 enough ski under foot for me @ my size / ability?
    • I do NOT want to (and cannot completely) give up the ability to enjoy family time
      • Meaning that family time is mostly on greens / easier blues / easier trees
      • But my little shredders are progressing!
    • @ my height / weight / ability, should I be testing both 177 & 184 lengths in this line?
      • Big concern is, is the 184 going to be too long for me in tight trees / bumps / any techy terrain I might find myself in more and more
    • Would moving into the 97-104 area overstep where I spend better than half of my time on piste?
      • Yes, I do have consideration for my knees/joints on firm snow w/ unnecessary waist width
    • Would staying in the 90s compromise any chance at a softer / deeper powder day in a one ski quiver scenario?
      • I am NOT opposed to adding a second skis next season or the season after
        • But I do seriously question that potential investment & how much it would be used
  • I would not plan on replacing this ski (or ski) for ~5 years unless
    • It was seriously broken/busted
    • Completely worn out
    • Hell, I don't plan on selling or throwing away my Apaches unless someone tells me they are unsafe
      • Which means I will hold onto these things until I feel they are a limiting factor in my learning curve

Disclaimer: I wear my big boy britches and will kindly accept constructive thoughts/criticism/advice. So please, please, please, HELP!

Thanks y'all for the use of the platform and sorry for a VERY lengthy [first] post but I hope I have avoided garbage in / garbage out.

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
Upfront question/statement: What size did you go with? The 90s? or the 99s? This series of ski really has me interested! I hopped in here from lurker status because I have the most experience out west @ Steamboat and was hoping you (or others) could relate / offer insight. I do intend to demo next season before I buy anything.

Hey all, first post. Thanks in advance for the great feedback and thanks for all the first hand info up thread here and on the 99 thread. (Sorry for the lengthy add to this discussion).

Name explanation: I'm a UDel Blue Hen alum, and a powder hound, hence PowderChicken.

Profile:
  • Mid 30s, 6' 220+
    • Athletic for my size but not a ballerina
    • More bruiser/linebacker/full back type than lengthy/rangy basketball guard
    • Working on changing my year over year strength/conditioning/agility towards our sport
      • Prefers walking/spinning/playing basketball/strength training
      • I don't run for distance
    • Rides an office chair more than a chair lift. :-(
  • Experience
    • 10 seasons (+/- a year)
    • Mostly ice-coast / mid-Atlantic background
      • Wisp in MD
      • Roundtop in PA
      • Some Poconos trips
    • Venturing out west more and more
      • Primarily family oriented to Steamboat & Winter Park thus far
    • Skied 8 days this season
      • Goal is 12~15 near year
        • Forgive me as I am a flat-lander from Maryland with a day job :-(
  • I would judge myself to be a level 2 skier
    • Or a level 6 skier based on https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/ability-levels (just for reference)
    • Can carve/slarv turns
    • Feels confident making linked GS style turns of varying sizes on blue groomers
      • I don't really find a speed limit on greens
      • I completely admit they aren't race/competition/technically ideal
    • Runs I absolutely love carving at speeds in the 30-40 mph zone
      • Heavenly Daze @ Steamboat
      • Mary Jane Trail @ Winter Park
      • Minute man @ Roundtop
      • Buddy's Run/Over the Edge / Mainstreet / Bobcats bowl @ Wisp
    • This year is the first year I have purposefully ventured into bumps & off piste in the trees
      • Bumps on Surprise / Northern / White Out / Tomahawk / Flintlock @ Steamboat
      • Bump'd portion of Mary Jane trail just this past weekend @ WP
      • Trees on the easier terrain of WP along High Lonesome lift
      • I need work on this, but I am seeking it out
    • I am still nervous about steeper terrain, but that is my goal for next season
    • Powder skills:
      • Less than ideal
      • 3~6" fresh is great!
      • 20+" @ Steamboat on 1/26/2019 was the best "worst" day of skiing I've ever had
      • I'm still learning "3D" techniques
  • Current equipment:
    • 2008 K2 Apache Recons
      • 74 under foot
      • 174 long
      • 17m sidecut
      • Tips are starting to delam, and while I may keep these oldies, it's time to think about replacement
    • Nordica boots
      • Forgive me here, as I don't know flex on these or model
      • They do fit surprisingly well for NOT being fitted
        • Forgive me for what I did not known 11 years ago
      • Also from 2008 vintage
      • These will be replaced for next season
      • I DO plan on working with a boot fitter to find what is right for my feet and style
        • I am open to MD/PA/DE boot fitters if anyone has recommendations w/ a 2 hour radius around Baltimore
          • (off topic, PM's welcome, or I'll take this to a new thread before next season)

Thread related / why I'm here:
  • I will demo before I buy
  • I am brand loyal
    • But I will explore other options
    • Other options I am planning on demoing next year
      • ON3P Wren 96s
      • Icelantic Pioneer 96 / Nomad 95
        • I am a directional skier, but I am interested in US Made stuff
      • Nordica Enforcer 93s/100s
      • Head Kore 93/99
  • I will still probably spend 65~75% of my time on piste w/ the family,
    • I want my skills to progress and I do feel that I am starting to find the limits of my current skis for my ability
  • This line really interests me from the all mountain aspects
    • Especially the crud busting ability combined w/ some float but most importantly
    • Being able to still carve on piste
  • I spent more time out west this past season than I did in the east
  • I am stuck on this:
    • Is the 90 enough ski under foot for me @ my size / ability?
    • I do NOT want to (and cannot completely) give up the ability to enjoy family time
      • Meaning that family time is mostly on greens / easier blues / easier trees
      • But my little shredders are progressing!
    • @ my height / weight / ability, should I be testing both 177 & 184 lengths in this line?
      • Big concern is, is the 184 going to be too long for me in tight trees / bumps / any techy terrain I might find myself in more and more
    • Would moving into the 97-104 area overstep where I spend better than half of my time on piste?
      • Yes, I do have consideration for my knees/joints on firm snow w/ unnecessary waist width
    • Would staying in the 90s compromise any chance at a softer / deeper powder day in a one ski quiver scenario?
      • I am NOT opposed to adding a second skis next season or the season after
        • But I do seriously question that potential investment & how much it would be used
  • I would not plan on replacing this ski (or ski) for ~5 years unless
    • It was seriously broken/busted
    • Completely worn out
    • Hell, I don't plan on selling or throwing away my Apaches unless someone tells me they are unsafe
      • Which means I will hold onto these things until I feel they are a limiting factor in my learning curve

Disclaimer: I wear my big boy britches and will kindly accept constructive thoughts/criticism/advice. So please, please, please, HELP!

Thanks y'all for the use of the platform and sorry for a VERY lengthy [first] post but I hope I have avoided garbage in / garbage out.

Hi PowderChicken!

Welcome! I have the 90TI in 170. I am 5'8, 170 and would say that we are pretty similar types skiers / skill level. I have also skied a lot of the same terrain at both at WP and Steamboat. I spent a lot of time on the Sunshine Lift at Steamboat last week and also at Mary Jane at WP earlier in the season. I took a Level 6 group lesson at Steamboat and we did a lot of drills progressing through the easy blue terrain on Sunshine to the somewhat steeper terrain ending with our last run on Heavenly Daze. I probably could have taken the Level 7 lesson, but the Level 6 was still very good.

Prior to the mindbender I was skiing on Volkl RTM 78s. I still plan on keeping these skis, but I noticed that I struggled when venturing off-piste (e.g. Parsenn Bowl @ WP) or when conditions are more variable. Skied at Squaw about a month ago when it was rain/snowing with the Volkls and it was not fun. In 3 days at Steamboat, I had no issues with the mindbender. We didn't get any fresh snow, but every day started out in the 20s, and by the afternoon the snow was pretty soft as the temps had warmed up to the 40s. Probably a combination of the lesson helping and the skis. Definitely felt more comfortable and could handle a lot more terrain compared to the Volkls. Looking at my ski tracker, I was skiing mostly in the 35-45 mph range, peaked at around 50. The mindbender felt stable and I could have pushed them more if I wanted too.

As a side note, I recently demoed a handful of skis at Whitetail, including the Enforcer 88, 93 and Brahma. Of the 3, I felt the 93 and Brahma were pretty demanding skis...too much for me. The 88 wasn't as bad, but the Mindbender is just a really just a fun and versatile ski.

For a boot fitter, I recommend Brian Eardley at Alpine Ski Shop in Fairfax. He takes appointments, is very knowledgeable and a nice guy. He is also a coach for one of the youth race teams at Liberty or Round Top. Suggest making an appointment in the fall before things get crazy leading up to Christmas.

Hope this helps.