• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Kästle FX106 HP

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FairtoMiddlin: Kästle used the same all-new construction found in the FX96 HP here, and it works again. The result of this strong, metal-less stick is something you can rely on. Power jauntily through soft snow, only to hit a coral bump waiting beneath, and you can feel how dialed in the flex is; the response is composed and predictable. On harder snow, it has a tip shape and torsional rigidity that feels very willing to carve for a ski in this class, above average all around. This would be the toast of the test, were it not for some meddling kids.

The Elan Ripstick 106 Black Edition, the Mantra 102, and perhaps a well-tuned Rustler 10 are also quick and predictable, yet do so with less lightening of the wallet. Even Kästle’s own FX96 HP feels like a better execution of the construction, as if it is ground zero for where the company is headed. Still, the 106 is a step in the right direction in feel over the outgoing BMX105; Kästle is moving forward.

Drahtguy Kevin: The FX106 has characteristics similar to its narrower brother with an expected tilt toward off-piste performance. The tip on the FX guides the ski confidently through chop while remaining friendly in bumps and trees. I couldn’t find an area off Sierra and up on Union that this ski didn’t handle with ease. Kästle has a unique feel that shines in this model as well as the 96. The reduced weight of the 106 and 96 didn’t cause alarm in any condition.

Insider tip: Slap on some Shifts and tour, tour, tour.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Lovers of agility and refinement, your ski is ready. Off-piste afficionados; this ski wants to see the entire mountain.
Who is it not for?
Those wanting to visit the ungroomed as opposed to living the ungroomed. Folks who just want to rage can get a strong ski for less money.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
168, 176, 184, 192
Dimensions
137-106-125
Radius
20.4m@184cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

jrc22ski

Booting up
Skier
I am curious if anyone is currently skiing Kästle FX106 HP's.

If so please provide your thoughts for deeper (East Coast anyway) softer days for advance skier.

TIA

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @Supergaper to the Pugski Courtesy Phone. SG has these in his everyday quiver.

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Hi,

Sorry, was away on work assignments, have skied the BMX 105 HP for 4+ years at JHMR in a 189. My favorite one ski quiver. Switched over to the FX 106 in January. Very different ski, much lighter feeling, less damp.

In soft conditions, very nice, good float. I have it in a 184, feels shorter and wider than its dimensions, tip is soft and then pretty stiff. I feel like it lacks a little roundness in the turn, not enough tip, too much tail.
What is the weight and how doe it compare to a real touring ski?
2000 grams, more in the burly touring, too light all mountain range?

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Looking in the catalogue for next year, I think Kastle do think of the 96 and 106hp as touring oriented, as they are the only non TX (touring ski)
where a tec binding is among the suggested bindings. Next year's ZX 108 will be the more like for like BMX 105 replacement.

For a shorter back country trip ski they would be excellent, as a soft snow only ski they would also be excellent. Where they do not impress is cutup, off piste snow, like Jackson's lower faces, they deflect quite a bit and the energy in the carbon wrap sort of bounces the ski around quite a bit. The lack of an off piste top end becomes apparent pretty quickly.

Hope that explains things a bit further.

jrc22ski

Booting up
Skier
Late response here as I did find a pair in 184cm:

Did a trip to Alta last year and we proceed to get 115″ over an ~11 day period. Although I brought my MX 89’s demo’d these for the entirety of the trip (sans one groomer day at Deer Valley on the MX 89's). The FX 106 did not disappoint in some of the deepest snow I've skied. Ripped on the groomers to Collins as well.

When I returned home found a guy that bought a pair, mounted them to 295 BSL and decided to sell them. I bought them and adjusted to my boot at 303BSL. Although I have not checked, that would put me further back, assuming they were mounted to spec. No issues in tight VT terrain after some big snow this past March 2020.

I highly recommend this ski for advance directional skiers looking for days with moderate to deeper fresh snow. Me: 5’10″/170#’s with a 303BSL.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 14

Sponsor