• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
I'll throw out my $0.02, but this subject is worthy of a whole thread by itself. In no particular order, my faves are:

Bubba's BBQ - an icon. I have a motel room for the Gathering that I can roll out of into Bubba's in >1 minute for a reason
That’s the exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for!

And, lest someone yank your chain, there is no secret password or handshake. Some people just know each other from previous Gatherings and kind of group up, that said everyone I’ve met at a Gathering has been friendly and open to welcoming newbies.

I met up with @Andy Mink and his crew (thanks again!) at Mt Rose last season. He showed me all around and was super awesome which was enough to convince me to come to a gathering.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I met up with @Andy Mink and his crew (thanks again!) at Mt Rose last season. He showed me all around and was super awesome which was enough to convince me to come to a gathering.
That was a great day!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Avoid Hatch Taqueria - tiny food portions and some of the tequilas I tried there taste far better out of my own liquor cabinet than out of their pours.

Never had a bad meal at the local Micky D's. Just what you'd expect, but served by eastern european kids.

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
My wife and I are seriously considering this trip. Really could use recommendations for accommodations w/o breaking the bank. It's been 25+ years since I was there and have no idea. Any help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My wife and I are seriously considering this trip. Really could use recommendations for accommodations w/o breaking the bank. It's been 25+ years since I was there and have no idea. Any help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you stay in Teton Village right at the mountain, it will indeed be near bank breaking prices for accommodation. However the town of Jackson, twenty minutes away, is the Gateway to Yellowstone park in summer making winter the off season. So some lodges are not open in winter whiles others are open and very inexpensive.

I have recently booked 9 nights at the Jackson Motel 6 for $62.99/night online (cheapest in Jackson) and that is before I get them to give me the weekly discount rate when I arrive. The rooms are tiny but recently remodeled with very comfortable beds and some rooms have fridge and microwave.

The Super 8 Motel is a little more $$ and I think it is Elk Lodge that has log cabins that are 1 bedroom with living room/kitchenette if you need more space.

Reactions: TPJ

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flights and hotel booked! We're going to Jackson!

We accidentally made reservations at 2 different properties; The Antler Inn and the Ranch Inn. Pretty sure we will be staying at the Antler so if anyone wants a "luxury" tower room (walk-up) at the Ranch send me a message. It's $695 total for 7 nights, 2/22 - 29.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've completed the last step of booking my trip to the gathering by upgrading my Ikon pass from a base to full pass. It was a no brainer since it's about the cost of the lift ticket for the extra two days. The only issue I have is working out the logistics. I'm scheduled to arrive on the 22nd at 11:15 AM. I plan on skiing for at least a couple of hours the day I arrive. I'm hoping I can connect with some Pugs when I get there. :beercheer:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just reserved a room at the Elk Country Inn. I like being walking distance to Bubba’s. But every time we go to Jackson Hole, the conditions seem to be less than stellar.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Time to get serious about making plans. Traveling solo. Left to my own, I'm leaning toward Town Square... But if anyone's looking to fill a spot, PM me.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I reserved a room at the Antler (free cancellation). General Motors still can’t provide us a fixed set of dates for the tie ins. It will be in either Feb or Mar. @ChunderBlunder moved to Denver CO (Broomfield to be exact) a few days ago with a couple friends. Empty Nesters! Couple more years to retirement....... getting sidetracked.... So, I’m in if it fits with work and Kevin will show if he can and I’m there to pay for the room . :roflmao: Should’ve seen the look on his face when I told him he had to buy his own Ikon Pass!!:roflmao:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You're a bad father! ogwink
LOL I had him working at the GM plant for my facilities maintenance crew as a union laborer. He was making 19.75/hr. Not bad for a first job!! Showed him how to get a credit card and establish credit. He's got a 675 score. He had to start paying his own car insurance, phone bill, etc. That was a bit of a pill for him to swallow at first. Then he had to buy car parts. Then mean dad made him buy his own Ikon. Well, now he up and moved out into an expensive lease apartment in Colorado with some friends and has to find a job. He graduated from EMT-B class. He's a member of the NSP. I told him to get on a professional patrol. He's afraid it won't pay enough and wants to join the IBEW. I'm curious to see what he does. He's about to learn a bunch of very valuable lessons that he wouldn't have learned if he had stayed here and rode the gravy train. I hope he can make it out to one of the gatherings. He is my ski buddy and I'm going to miss him if he can't make it.......

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
He is my ski buddy and I'm going to miss him if he can't make it.......
I hear you....
It happens when they get real jobs with real responsibilities. My son had to cancel out of the Gathering last year because work was too busy.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL I had him working at the GM plant for my facilities maintenance crew as a union laborer. He was making 19.75/hr. Not bad for a first job!! Showed him how to get a credit card and establish credit. He's got a 675 score. He had to start paying his own car insurance, phone bill, etc. That was a bit of a pill for him to swallow at first. Then he had to buy car parts. Then mean dad made him buy his own Ikon. Well, now he up and moved out into an expensive lease apartment in Colorado with some friends and has to find a job. He graduated from EMT-B class. He's a member of the NSP. I told him to get on a professional patrol. He's afraid it won't pay enough and wants to join the IBEW. I'm curious to see what he does. He's about to learn a bunch of very valuable lessons that he wouldn't have learned if he had stayed here and rode the gravy train. I hope he can make it out to one of the gatherings. He is my ski buddy and I'm going to miss him if he can't make it.......

You're doing right.
One of the hardest thing I've done in my life was to let go of his hand so he can cross the street by himself for the first time. Much easier just to hold on to that little hand.

That's our job. They will be fine.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally made some firm plans. Booked flights & a room at the Antler. Not sure if I saw it in this thread, but all of the Town Square properties have a 15% IKON discount (at check-in).
I didn't know that! Thanks.

Reactions: RJS

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally made some firm plans. Booked flights & a room at the Antler. Not sure if I saw it in this thread, but all of the Town Square properties have a 15% IKON discount (at check-in).
I booked mine through one of the travel sites and already got a 15% discount off of the normal rate so I doubt I could add this on top of it but I'll certainly ask at check in.:cool:

Sponsor