• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on winter weather pattern for Taos. Like two years ago, nah. Like last year, you May see some Amigos.

And what was wrong with the conditions couple seasons back?
It was a record year. It took 62 years to set that record. It got to count for something. :D

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Change is good. I decided I might want to prepare some food to save some money so I cancelled on the Motel 6 reservation and booked a Premier View Patio w/Kitchenette 2 Queen room at the Elk Refuge Inn. It came out to $700 but looks nicer. I'll probably drive to the Stilson Lot and take the shuttle. Will be looking for a roommate. Split the cost.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I had meant, "How much did you pay them to stay with you?" My bad for not sprinkling in appropriate emoji.

You will have a blast, and you picked some of the best, as you obviously know.

I'm not committed at this point. I'll do either the Taos or Jackson gathering but probably not both.

Wish I could do both too.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning on coming out to the gathering this year with a friend, looking for some other people to share a condo.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I made a reservation for a condo in The Aspens, found a place with access to the sports club so will have pool/hot tub/fitness center, also it’s a 3 minute walk to hop on the Start bus if we want that option in addition to having my vehicle. Already got someone to share the place.

I looked at Teton Village, but most of the condos are smaller, more expensive and not necessarily any more convenient (requiring a couple of lifts, or taking a shuttle, or walking to get to the base).

I’m road-tripping from WA state, so plan to stop at a couple of smaller ski areas along the way.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
hey Gang, we cannot unfortunately make the gathering, but my 10 yo son is insistent on Jackson for Spring Break which for us this year is March 14-21. I consider our mutual viewings of Swift. Silent. Deep. to be one of my greatest achievements in Fatherhood. My brothers/his uncles with join us for part of that week. We're cool with buses. Looking for advice on Teton Village vs. Jackson accommodations - leaning Jackson and ski bus, we like to do some après at the place and head out to dinner, and do breakfast there, so need a serviceable kitchen. Rec's?

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’re looking for condos with full kitchens, you can find quite a few of them around Snow King that are reasonable. The closer you get to Town Square you tend to get more hotels and smaller condos that get more expensive, and a string of hotels along the main road Broadway/Hwy 89 to Hwy 22/Teton Pass Hwy (which is the route you take to go to Teton Village).

As you may have read, this time I’m staying in a condo at The Aspens, which is kinda half-way/2/3 of the way between Jackson and Teton Village and has its own small village with grocery/deli and several restaurants. Lots of condo options, a short bus ride from Teton Village, obviously a longer bus ride to town.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
hey Gang, we cannot unfortunately make the gathering, but my 10 yo son is insistent on Jackson for Spring Break which for us this year is March 14-21. I consider our mutual viewings of Swift. Silent. Deep. to be one of my greatest achievements in Fatherhood. My brothers/his uncles with join us for part of that week. We're cool with buses. Looking for advice on Teton Village vs. Jackson accommodations - leaning Jackson and ski bus, we like to do some après at the place and head out to dinner, and do breakfast there, so need a serviceable kitchen. Rec's?

I recommend one of the 4 properties in the Town Square Inn group (https://www.townsquareinns.com). They have their own bus to the ski area, and some rooms have (very small but serviceable) kitchens in them. They are an easy walk to several restaurants. If you do opt for Teton Village instead, find a condo map -- some of them are quite a ways out.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Is the bus service reliable/on time?
We stayed at the Antler in early March 2019 and found the bus was reliable and nearly on-time both leaving Jackson and returning from skiing on the one day we rode it. It was a full sized bus and skis went into compartments under the bus. It did get full so the Antler worked well as it was the first stop so we did not get left. I think our bus also stopped at Cowboy Village. I booked Antler for the three nights I plan to be at Gathering. I thought about Super 8 as it's less expensive, includes breakfast and allows later cancellations, but location is not good for walking to go out in evening and too many of the recent reviews had some negatives.

As I said in the rollcall, I'm still looking for a place to stay for my wife for a couple of nights until I arrive on Thurs. and a ride for her from Bay Area or SLC.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Hate to be "that guy" however, I'm gonna say it anyway. JH can be pretty scratchy in March. Especially the lower mountain. Gets warmish in the day and freezes up at night. Lots of south facing slopes etc. I think that The Gathering dates are even a bit late for peak JH skiing... that said, anything can happen.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hate to be "that guy" however, I'm gonna say it anyway. JH can be pretty scratchy in March. Especially the lower mountain. Gets warmish in the day and freezes up at night. Lots of south facing slopes etc. I think that The Gathering dates are even a bit late for peak JH skiing... that said, anything can happen.

OK, you're going to have to be "that guy."

It's true, it can be scratchy in March. Maybe even icy [Western calibration] in some places (Cirque at one of the previous Gatherings, anyone?) It is still a wonderful place anyway. But go in with your eyes open.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

OK, you're going to have to be "that guy."

It's true, it can be scratchy in March. Maybe even icy [Western calibration] in some places (Cirque at one of the previous Gatherings, anyone?) It is still a wonderful place anyway. But go in with your eyes open.

What's all this "March" talk? The Gathering ends on February 29th!! :cool:

Sponsor