• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm looking for a place to stay. I've stayed at the Hostel and in Jackson. I'm going to be fairly low budget. I'll have my car.

I am probably going to book a room at the Motel 6 in Jackson. The weekly rate works out to around $55/night with free wifi, fridge and microwave and no charge for my dog. The rooms are small but recently remodeled.

I usually drive to the free parking Stilson Lot, boot change in the waiting room and drink free coffee and free granola bars (get there early) and free shuttle to the skiing.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Me and my friend George are going to stay at the Hostel, its cheap, basic, but sufficient for us. only thing thats missing and properly needed is a hot tub, any hotels in Teton Village have a day pass for one ??
Have you booked Hostel? When I try to check prices for multiple Feb. dates, I get "We apologize, no available inventory currently exists at the property based upon the criteria you have selected.". Maybe I'm trying to book too far out. Before you book make sure you understand their cancellation policy which is not as lenient as most places.

I stayed there 5 nights in 2014; 4 were sharing a top floor room with guy who was there for Steep and Deep camp and wanted to offset cost of semi-private room. He has since moved to Bend and become a good friend and ski buddy. Even the top floor rooms were noisy, but at least you did not have people above you. Sharing a hostel room that has four people in it would be very crowded. Sharing a private 4 single room with a total of 2 or 3 people would work better. Sharing a top floor King bed room with a significant other would be even better although it looks to be twice as expensive as some places in town. I have a long review of the Hostel that I could share, but some of it may be out of date. The most important items on it are to bring a power strip and hangars as room plugs and hangars were very limited.

I am probably going to book a room at the Motel 6 in Jackson. The weekly rate works out to around $55/night with free wifi, fridge and microwave and no charge for my dog. The rooms are small but recently remodeled.

I usually drive to the free parking Stilson Lot, boot change in the waiting room and drink free coffee and free granola bars (get there early) and free shuttle to the skiing.
That's a great price compared to what I see on hotels.com (almost $78 w tax, but you get a free night for every 10) and motel6.com where a mock booking was $71/night, then dropped to $64/night (with 1 week cancellation) when I tried to exit. I've stayed at Motel 6 in Jackson and used the Stilson lot and found both acceptable.

I'm probably booking Antler Inn for the nights I plan to be there. It's just over $100/night w tax and a couple of blocks from Town Square. They have a free shuttle to skiing and are across the street from upscale grocery and a great bagel place. They have a large indoor hot tub, but don't allow alcohol in it.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m still on the fence between booking a hotel room (Motel 6 or Super 8 or maybe a step up) vs a condo with maybe one other person, vs getting a 3-4 BR condo and getting 4 or more people. Some of these places can conceivably sleep 8-10, though with twin beds in one or two rooms, one I found has two twin bunk beds (I think the main benefit of a bunk bed is the extra room to store your gear, rather than having another person actually sleep there. But it good to plan some overflow capacity for late-to-deciders, or for people coming for just a day or two.

James

Out There
Instructor
Foster's? Ack! Phtt!

Aussies don't drink that crap, we export it all to the Poms and Yanks!
A good number did until the mid 80’s. Like Paul Hogan. :D
These days it’s exported from Texas. Made by Miller in the US and Heineken in the UK.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I will call them as I did when I stayed there 4 years ago, I liked it there , room was fine , but not up to my brides standards !!!
Let me know, here or via PM, what you find out including taxes and fees. I was able to see openings to mid-week in early Jan, but nothing past that. I think my wife would find the advantage of Hostel's location (next to Mangy Moose, close to lifts and can ski back, which means she could go and return anytime easily) for skiing would offset the disadvantages (rustic, top floor room with no elevator, distance to town). I'm not sure that it is worth 50-100% higher cost, but still considering.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Foster's? Ack! Phtt!

Aussies don't drink that crap, we export it all to the Poms and Yanks!

A good number did until the mid 80’s. Like Paul Hogan. :D
These days it’s exported from Texas. Made by Miller in the US and Heineken in the UK.

From Monty Python’s Live at the Hollywood Bowl 1982):

“The reason we do this, Ladies and Bruces (tossing cans of Foster’s into the crowd), is that, quite frankly, drinking your American beer is like making love in a canoe.”
“Making love in a canoe?”
“Yeah, it’s f*cking close to water.”

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just booked a room at the Motel 6 with two full beds from 2/22 to 2/29 for $489.79 total. Looking for a roommate.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Oooo - the Motel 6 in Jackson. I think I had more room on a submarine. Seriously, those rooms are tight.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone stayed at The Aspens? Seems convenient by Start bus, but also kind of away from everything else.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When are you going to break the news to them?

Edit: And how much did you pay?
I don't have the figures in front of me, but ...
  • It was a bit more than if we stayed in town
  • The parking and locker fees that we won't be paying make up for some of the extra cost
  • The share with a total of 8 of us makes it more affordable.
  • There were times at Big Sky that I wish we were "on site" because of different directions we were being pulled.
House mates with us are
@Gary Stolt
@JohnL
@jimmy
@SKI-3PO
@Andy Mink
@AKMINK

Some of the alternate places we looked at are on the bus route in the (I want to say) Aspens (?)

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Has anyone stayed at The Aspens? Seems convenient by Start bus, but also kind of away from everything else.

@SugarCube & I stayed there during the last Gathering at Jackson. Our condo (then) was reasonably priced and it was a pretty short trip to both the town and the mountain. There is a small grocery / convenience store there which is helpful.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have the figures in front of me, but ...
  • It was a bit more than if we stayed in town
  • The parking and locker fees that we won't be paying make up for some of the extra cost
  • The share with a total of 8 of us makes it more affordable.
  • There were times at Big Sky that I wish we were "on site" because of different directions we were being pulled.
House mates with us are
@Gary Stolt
@JohnL
@jimmy
@SKI-3PO
@Andy Mink
@AKMINK

Some of the alternate places we looked at are on the bus route in the (I want to say) Aspens (?)

I had meant, "How much did you pay them to stay with you?" My bad for not sprinkling in appropriate emoji.

You will have a blast, and you picked some of the best, as you obviously know.

I'm not committed at this point. I'll do either the Taos or Jackson gathering but probably not both.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had meant, "How much did you pay them to stay with you?" My bad for not sprinkling in appropriate emoji.

You will have a blast, and you picked some of the best, as you obviously know.

I'm not committed at this point. I'll do either the Taos or Jackson gathering but probably not both.
There are a few others we wish we had room for, but this place is small.
And, shhhhh, they didn't know that I had to pay for people to stay with us in the past. You blew my cover :doh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The Motel 6 is a great deal.

Sponsor

Staff online