• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Head V-Shape V8

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Mink: The all-new Head V8 should be a force in the intermediate to advanced market. With a shape similar to the very successful Supershape series, the V8 is a carving machine; at the same time, it is not as demanding as its iBrethren. It is one of those skis capable of giving more when pressed, but it doesn’t need to be skied hard to perform well. It easily makes tight or wide turns and, with a little tail and tip rise, can be pushed around as the snow softens. The rounded tail will not beat you up in the bumps.

Filling the next-to-top spot in the V-Shape series (V2 through V10), the V8 will appeal to those advancing skiers who stay mainly on the groomers but may venture a little onto the shoulders of the runs. Like the omnipotent V8 engine, this V8 can be used to cruise or rip, your choice.

Insider tip: The V8 is a great ski for those who want to hone their carving skills but don't want to carve all the time.​

Doug Briggs: This 75mm-waisted ski is a solid performer. It has good grip and is pretty turny. The V8 is very playful but it does have its limits.

Insider tip: This is an iRally for the intermediate to advanced skier.​

Philpug: The V8 was the SST (Surprise Ski of the Test) for me. At 76 mm underfoot in the reference 170 size, it could be the perfect instructor's ski. Narrow enough to be quick edge to edge. Soft enough to allow the skier to ease into a turn at a slow speed. Stable enough to let 'er run when needed. So, if you are looking at a Supershape but feel like you just don’t need all that power, the V8 could be the one.

Insider tip: Err on the short side.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Intermediate to advanced skiers looking for near-iPerformance at a friendlier price point. Wannabe instructors that want but don’t need nth-degree precision.
Who is it not for?
Bigger or stronger skiers who want to charge. No worries, there is the i.Rally. The skier who spends most of the day in the bumps, trees, or pow.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Dimensions
130-75-112
Radius
13.2m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had demoed the V8 last fall and immeditately put it at the top of the list to replace my Fischer SCs to use on firm groomer days. Finally got a couple of days at Killington last month on the pair I picked up late last spring on clearance. As a lighter and older skier, these are perfect. I am a happy camper.

ChrisC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a new pair of frontside carving skis and need some advice on length for the V8. My primary use for these skis will be taking lessons and practicing technique/carving. I would consider myself a strong intermediate skier, comfortable skiing any groomed east coast trail, up to an including steep double blacks such as white heat, superstar etc. However, that would not include making carved turns on those trails, but rather washed out turns. My objective is to improve my technique to be able to make linked, carved turns on moderate and steep terrain, along with being able to better use turn shape to control speed. I'm 6'2" 195lbs and am unsure if I should go with the 177 or 170. I appreciate any advice anyone may have.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am 5'8" and 160 lbs and my V8s are 170. I am happy with that length for me. Very maneuverable and good stability at speed. Sounds like you should consider the 177.

Great ski!

Sponsor