• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 gardening thread

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't understand how these all get enough water ... let alone fertilizer, repotting, etc ...
You’ve never lived in the PNW, have you? There’s this phenomenon called “rain” that we get from time to time.

Plus we are in a location with good soil, in a climate region that has the widest range of what plants you can grow compared to just about anywhere. We try to select things that are relativily low maintenance, once you get them in the right spot. Also with the wood chipper, we create good mulch that keeps weeds and grass out that would otherwise compete with the plants and trees for moisture.

OK, I will say, there’s a lot of watering sometimes. It takes Shamora half a day to water all the indoor plants when we get ready to leave on a trip. And this is her passion, so she spends a lot of time in her garden house potting/repotting, fertilizing.

This time of the year, everything is growing like crazy since we have alternating periods of a couple days of rain, then a few days of sunny or partly cloudy weather. The high temperatures are in the mid-60’s right now, so even with sun there isn’t much evaporation.

The summer months (July to September/October) we are watering outdoors frequently, but not everything needs much water. the high temperatures get into the low to mid-80’s most of the time. We have lot of native species that tolerate the variability.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You’ve never lived in the PNW, have you? There’s this phenomenon called “rain” that we get from time to time
OK, I will say, there’s a lot of watering sometimes. It takes Shamora half a day to water all the indoor plants when we get ready to leave on a trip. And this is her passion, so she spends a lot of time in her garden house potting/repotting, fertilizing.

Hah. I meant the indoor plants. It just seems inevitable something would get missed, and far too many to have them on timers.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There used to be a cottonwood tree in the front yard. Well the root system is still there, and Morrell mushrooms grow under cottonwoods. So we’ve got Morrells growing in the front yard. People go out far and wide to forage for these things, and we have them growing about 20 feet from where I park my car. Go figure. Another reason not to mow the lawn right now. We allow the grass to grow and especially where there are concentrations of dandelions, which are good from bringing nutrients from the lower soil to the top layer. Comfrey is particularly good at that as well, also the bees forage through these until there’s other flowers blooming. So we have a messy lawn. I’ve start moving paths through the grass (usually with some creative/artistic design to it), leaving some areas to develop wildflowers.
View attachment 101367 View attachment 101368
Nice! It's just getting to be morel season here. Gotta carve out some time from gardening to go hunting. Nice pics of your home and gardens. Thanks for sharing.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So I come home and find more things to plant. I swear she has plant-polar disorder; if something is on sale it becomes too compelling to pass up.
FA6693C0-427D-4351-838F-406DC2F23757.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
My garden is finally waking up and showing some life with these warm days. I will buy some of the warmer weather starts in a week or so, but have quite a few things in the ground and just waiting for the nights to get warmer so they will start growing in earnest.

52473013-7D18-41A4-8B7D-075B305F692E.jpeg
Mustard greens and snap peas growing up the trellises behind. Something else is planted next to the mustard but I don't remember and it hasnt sprouted yet. Also there are some cucumbers I just seeded the other day at the far end of the bed. Later on I will add peppers, and there is some fennel sprouting there too that I will probably let grow to bulbs.

A21E9D4F-009C-49DC-9654-BC2CC79DA38A.jpeg
Strawberry and perennial herb bed. I've got chives, oregano, thyme, sage, maybe tarragon in here with about 20 strawbs. Two years ago I built a cage to protect the strawberries from squirrels and birds and I've actually started getting an ok harvest. Nothing crazy, but enough for 5-10 strawberries a day during peak season (the kids usually eat them before I get a chance to taste them). The cage wasn't super sturdily built (it has a hinging lid so I can harvest) and a hail storm took out the top mesh so its on the agenda to rebuild it.

CF384E5B-3B1A-49F0-8ADD-C2B935AF73DD.jpeg
This is the main section of my garden. We have this walled off from our resident rabbits with a mesh fence that I have to climb over to access which is annoying but at least all my efforts don't go to waste. The bed in the foreground is all cool weather crops, lettuces on the far end, a few rows of kale and something I forget that I just planted, then beets and radishes and spinach. The trellis is where I grow runner beans (both sides) and the opposite bed currently has kale, chard, cabbage, carrots and a few opportunistic sunflowers. Also there are some mystery sprouts that I'm hoping are the progeny of the marigolds I had planted there last year. There will also be bush beans later in the season.

8B1555DC-4619-4A16-B845-F72DE7D8D81E.jpeg
My main tomato bed, mostly empty now. I'm experimenting with planting lettuces in it early season because the tomatos stay small for a while until the lettuces won't grow anymore and can be pulled. I planted the mescluns at the front but had a group of bibb and red leaf lettuce spring up that had never sprouted last year. Got my first garden salad off this little group just today. Next year I might have the whole thing ringed with lettuce or radishes and leave spots for the tomato starts so that I will have more space in other beds in early season.
1D34FCD3-69EB-4A36-A008-730B52246C8D.jpeg
My neighbor has a lovely garden. He also planted mint. In the ground. Along our shared fence. So now I have mint too! I attempted to create a 'bed' not that it will contain the mint, but at least now I have a border to keep in mind when I pull up the aggressive runners. This whole section fills up by early summer and I can make all the mojitos I want.

CA2B7112-DBEF-47CE-919C-89D71E36BEB3.jpeg
I also have (a few) flowers. I need more to provide visual interest, but I'm terrible at deciding what will look good and the previous owners put in massive rock beds which are difficult to make planting areas in. This is a small area near our patio with tulips, salvia and phlox.

5EB46535-9498-4C83-8176-31608283D125.jpeg
I installed a border around our shed two summers ago, and planted with flowering perennials. I really just threw a bunch of plants in to see what would work, and each side of the shed gets completely different light and thus different results. I have a variety of phlox, catmint, salvia, penstemon, some lily and uhm some sort of yellow hardy perennial that never seems to do too well. Around the back I put in some blackberry and raspberry bushes, which the rabbits like to strip the bark from and so haven't done super well. We did get a few handfuls of blackberries last year and I put in a few more plants in hopes that some of them would take off.

We also have a new baby apple tree that probably won't give us fruit for another 5-10 years.

I'm like one of those gardeners that gets really excited about it in the spring and spends a lot of effort planting things and then by July I get tired of the battles I am constantly fighting with bugs and wildlife and so I kind of give up and then by September I'm annoyed at home much produce I have to harvest.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Step 1: Determine your blueberry plant is definitely truly dead
Step 2: Spend $25 on a new blueberry plant
Step 3: "Dead" blueberry plant starts growing leaves

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Originally put this in the funnies thread, but also appropriate here.
1588458806055.png

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Step 1: Determine your blueberry plant is definitely truly dead
Step 2: Spend $25 on a new blueberry plant
Step 3: "Dead" blueberry plant starts growing leaves
You can't ever have too many blueberries!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great thread.
I am not a great gardener in Reno. I was a pretty good gardener in Michigan.

I have a couple containers I got from Gardners Supply 15+ years ago(brought them with me when I moved to Reno/Tahoe) I tend to plant peppers of some sort, usually Poblano and Habenaro, but this year I planted jalapeño and tomato. The tomato plants froze right away and then I realized....I usually don't plant anything until we come back from Mother's Day at A-Basin, and I planted the tomatoes a full month before my usual planting time.
This virus thing has our time line messed up in a big way.
I'll take pics of the poblanos and jalapeños, as well as herbs I've got going now.
Here is the one pic of the herb garden I planted when I was working on the UP (Upper Patio)
9CD19AE4-57BD-4136-ADC7-6E5C524879B9.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I dug up an old picture of my patio garden in Michigan.
This is early season. I wish I could find a picture of the whole thing in full glory. I had pole beans, peppers, tomatoes, raspberries, basil, peas. The high desert climate has made me rethink how and what I plant.

100_2867.jpeg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dug up an old picture of my patio garden in Michigan.
This is early season. I wish I could find a picture of the whole thing in full glory. I had pole beans, peppers, tomatoes, raspberries, basil, peas. The high desert climate has made me rethink how and what I plant.

View attachment 101515
That patio garden looks so nice and green!

Gardening in an arid climate is a whole different thing. And if you're an impulse plant buyer (I can be), some places (like Lowes or Home Depot) sell plants that might not be well-suited for your climate. I love the Sunset Western Garden Book to look up how to best take care of plants I buy. But for me, sometimes it's just whatever survives in my yard, stays. I don't like to water often, so if a plant is too thirsty, it won't live in my yard.

I've had patio gardens in various apartments I've lived in, and thinking back, they were easier to manage. Two patios plus a yard, it's overwhelming, unless your yard was landscaped when you moved in. But I'm not complaining; I love the possibilities of more space.

I have a few empty pots lying around, and lots of space where there are weeds or just dirt. Might go to the nursery today :).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love the Sunset Western Garden Book to look up how to best take care of plants I buy. But for me, sometimes it's just whatever survives in my yard, stays. I don't like to water often, so if a plant is too thirsty, it won't live in my yard.
Funny that you bring up Sunset. While I was teaching skiing at Mt Rose, my mentor instructor was a 69 year old woman who had been a full cert instructor for 40+ years.
She was and is an incredible gardener. Her yard had been in Sunset twice.
I did take a few pictures of her yard when I had tea with her one day.
I wish I had her green thumb.

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

She has these crazy cool rocks in her yard that the planted wild flowers. Off in the distance you can see Mt Rose. (this was a smokey wildfire day)

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is my habanero plant from 2 years ago. Photo taken 8/24/2017
21078272_10159024672910018_4093669555420337337_n.jpg

It was loaded with peppers, so much so that I harvested all that I wanted to. Froze a bunch of them, then I took the plant to a friend's house because he and his wife make pepper sauce. He gave us a bottle of garlic habanero that was incredible.
21032784_10159024672825018_5921066257699653262_n.jpg

20993032_10159024672815018_8253720813820326745_n.jpg

Poblanos
21032432_10159024863285018_999393136268138404_n.jpg

21687885_10159154981780018_4826888069016591872_n.jpg

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny that you bring up Sunset. While I was teaching skiing at Mt Rose, my mentor instructor was a 69 year old woman who had been a full cert instructor for 40+ years.
She was and is an incredible gardener. Her yard had been in Sunset twice.
I did take a few pictures of her yard when I had tea with her one day.
I wish I had her green thumb.

View attachment 101516

View attachment 101517

She has these crazy cool rocks in her yard that the planted wild flowers. Off in the distance you can see Mt Rose. (this was a smokey wildfire day)

View attachment 101518

View attachment 101519

View attachment 101520
Beautiful. My mom has the "green thumb" in my family. She's lived in many different climates and it seems like she always manages to have a beautiful yard and garden.

I think that part of it is being willing and able to put in the time to figure out what works in your yard, though. I'm usually busy skiing in the spring, and by the time summer rolls around it's so hot that being outside is unpleasant. The avid gardeners I know consider yard and gardening work their exercise, whereas I like to get out on my bike or run during the cool part of the day.

Maybe this year will be different.

I'm loving this thread with the pictures of people's gardens.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My yard is out of control.

View attachment 101282
View attachment 101283

View attachment 101284
View attachment 101285
View attachment 101286
View attachment 101287
View attachment 101288
But I'm happy I got a couple of tomato plants in. I might try zucchini too, just need to get some to transplant.
I have an established Washington navel orange tree, a new dwarf Meyer lemon, and a Satsuma mandarin that I'm hoping will finally bear fruit in the winter. I also have a plum and a fig tree, and three pomegranates. And then various perennials, some succulents, and some random trees. A few weeks ago, my orange tree and my lavender were blooming, and there were so many bees :).
I can never keep up with the weeds. They just keep coming back!
That's gorgeous.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The puppy helped me get my small container garden going this year. Tomatoes, cukes, and peppers. Here are some pics from last season. The cukes did the best. I made trellises for them to climb with some copper pipe and butcher’s twine. Looks pretty (to me) and it’s easy. Same thing with the bamboo for the tomatoes - the price is right and you can build it however the plant needs it. Planning to double the size this year - the self-watering planters work great, though they turn into mosquito breeding grounds unless you keep bug dunks in the water.
View attachment 101291 View attachment 101292 View attachment 101293 View attachment 101294 View attachment 101295 View attachment 101296 View attachment 101297
Nice!!

Sponsor

Staff online