• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 gardening thread

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Goodness, not organized enough to be a collector! I have several different kinds, both paid for and donations, because I liked the looks of them and wanted to see how they would grow in my yard. Am now working on dividing the ones I like and want more of. We don’t have near the space you do, though
Dividing can be done brutally, with a sharpened shovel driven straight down into the hosta, or delicately by digging up the whole plant and carefully teasing apart the roots with your fingers and the help of a garden hose. Both work. I started out doing the first. I still do that if the plant I want to divide is old, with the crowns and roots having grown fiercely together. Younger plants can be divided the delicate way with ease.

Water them generously day after day once you divide them, so they can homestead in their new location.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A couple months of random watering and adding a little food recently and ONE little tiny tomato. I'll call this a success LOL

1593199451607.png

They may die next week, but at least I got ONE hahahaha!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have harvested sooo much basil. Need to make a pesto now. Maybe mint pesto, because we have plenty of that, too!

Otherwise, my tomato plants seem to be doing a little better, and the roses are doing their best against a few torrential rains. We actually have a baby Roma, and surprisingly, one of the purple Cherokee plants already has some sizeable baby tomatoes.
IMG_20200624_084441.jpg

IMG_20200625_165108.jpg
IMG_20200625_165043.jpg

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
We got tomatoes on the vines, squash and zucchini growing, cucumbers in bloom, potatoes growing well, grapes forming, the carrots are going crazy, there are a bunch of plums, two peaches and one pear. (The plum tree waited until after the snowstorm to blossom.) But the leafy greens are all bolting instead of making leaves and the peas all turned yellow and died, while the strawberries are just sitting there wondering what to do next.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm just now going through my partner's vast collection of seeds past. There was too much craziness this spring to sit down, sort them out, and start them, but next season! Next season is the one where I actually plant seeds indoors rather than just buying the starts!

Probably.

Maybe.

Time permitting.

They're mostly years old, but with seeds, if they don't grow, eh. At least I won't have reserved that space in the garden for something that never shows up.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am not the best at gardening but my wife is, she has grown many different flowers and veggies. She also grows her own herbs, one of her specials is the hybrid oregano developed by the Rutgers agricultural school. It is a wonderful oregano but if you saw it growing you might think it was rosemary, it has the same look but if you smell it and taste it you will know for sure it is oregano.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, my tomato plant suffered a wind storm that detached my colaroo shade and really damaged it. Both main stalks were broken off along with many branches. My squashes and basil also suffered damage. I was out on a bike ride so I got battered too and wasn’t home to stop the destruction. I’m so sad. But, my first tomato is still on the vine and I got my first squash blossom today so I‘lol just have to wait and see how recovery goes.

045490BE-4A16-4735-AAB4-9242B034D7CA.jpeg
2A1DBC52-D615-499E-B5DB-6E89B846D64D.jpeg
AAE4087B-7156-4CB7-A0E1-CBA2E09132F8.jpeg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, my tomato plant suffered a wind storm that detached my colaroo shade and really damaged it. Both main stalks were broken off along with many branches. My squashes and basil also suffered damage. I was out on a bike ride so I got battered too and wasn’t home to stop the destruction. I’m so sad. But, my first tomato is still on the vine and I got my first squash blossom today so I‘lol just have to wait and see how recovery goes.

Fingers crossed! It's so disheartening when plants get damaged\. My deck used to be unbearably hot; I chose an awning that auto-retracts when the winds get high enough. It's more expensive than the shade, I think, but would you be allowed to attach something like that?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Orange season at my garden has begun. I'll post more pics as it gains energy. Its usual start is in July, so orange fest is going to be early this year. We are in the middle of a drought, and I don't water the lilies, so I hope all goes well for these enthusiastic performers.
8CB6AF34-3F6A-4AD7-A4CB-636DBAF965ED.jpg

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, here’s the weirdest thing. We have two Alberta Spruces, and I noticed one small branch of one of them growing like another type of spruce. I guess that’s what happens when you have a hybrid, every once in a while a recessive gene expresses itself.

948BC3DE-2BE4-433E-BDB7-D83FE89E5DE2.jpeg
49596613-EEAA-49FA-A7B5-1E644260BFC0.jpeg
3BBE0465-FD72-4973-9691-701CBFE3BE93.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So is your first instinct "argh! It doesn't match! get rid of it!" or "oh, wow, that's so cool!"?
My first thought was, "there's another type of spruce growing under the Alberta?. No way!"
Then, "oh, wow, that's so cool!"

Not the least bit concerned it not matching, even with the other Alberta Spruce four feet away. It actually makes for an interesting comparison.

Besides, "if you can't fix it, feature it."

Now, invasive weeds that like grow in there, those get weeded out.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Ok, here’s the weirdest thing. We have two Alberta Spruces, and I noticed one small branch of one of them growing like another type of spruce. I guess that’s what happens when you have a hybrid, every once in a while a recessive gene expresses itself.

View attachment 105321 View attachment 105322 View attachment 105323
Cut it off!!! That large part will grow faster than the rest of your Dwarf Alberta Spruce, and it will take over that side of the little tree eventually since it will fill more space and shade its neighboring branches. It's a reversion, as you speculate. Reversions are usually more vigorous than the cultivars we buy for their unique forms, like this particular dwarf specimen.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cut it off!!! That large part will grow faster than the rest of your Dwarf Alberta Spruce, and it will take over that side of the little tree eventually since it will fill more space and shade its neighboring branches. It's a reversion, as you speculate. Reversions are usually more vigorous than the cultivars we buy for their unique forms, like this particular dwarf specimen.
If it continues to grow faster, it will get pruned back, as I am having a path go in between the two Alberta Spruces and they're a few apart. You can see the other one, out of focus to the right of the 2nd of the pics I posted.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A couple months of random watering and adding a little food recently and ONE little tiny tomato. I'll call this a success LOL

They may die next week, but at least I got ONE hahahaha!
QFT.. Fine when we left town Saturday morning. Come home Sunday afternoon and almost totally dead..
1593459069328.png

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our garden has survived 2 hail storms in the last few weeks without too much damage, and all of our tomatoes have survived! However, I think someone at the greenhouse was indulging in some herbaceous products themselves, as every tomato plant labeled “beefsteak tomato” is actually Roma tomato and vice versa. Good thing we have a few of each. Still tiny, but fingers crossed.
3DE44C51-914F-4F58-BF83-5B01DA8F08FD.jpeg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tomatoes love the heat, but yeah, I find that if you even miss one watering on a hot day, it's game over.
No sprinkler systems so if we're not home they go thirsty.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
No sprinkler systems so if we're not home they go thirsty.

Yeah, that was a major motivation for our drip system. World's most expensive tomatoes!

Sponsor

Staff online