• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Enforcer 100 vs. 2021 Enforcer 100

gward

Booting up
Skier
2 years ago I spent 4 days on the Enforcer 100 in the 169cm length. I loved the skis but felt like I could use something a little longer (I'm 5'8" 180 lb advanced skier. I primarily ski at Taos). This spring I spent 1 day on the Enforcer 104 in the 179cm length. I liked this ski, but at first blush maybe not quite as much as the 100. (I would have liked more time on the 104 but the COVID crisis cut my trip short.) So here's my question. With the 2020 E100's being on sale right now at great prices, should I go ahead and jump on those? I think the 177 would probably do fine for me. Or will I regret not demoing the 21 next year before I pull the trigger? Will the 2 cm + construction tweaks make that big of difference to me? Thoughts?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on what you like to ski at Taos.

The E-100 skis short. Going by your height & weight. The 177 should be your size more so than the 169.
If you like to ski off the ridge then definitely the 177. If you hang out in the upper and lower front then either one will do. Let your skill set be the determining factor.

Last edited:
TS
G

gward

Booting up
Skier
Depends on what you like to ski at Taos.

The E-100 skis short. Going by your height & weight. The 177 should be your size more so than the 169.
If you like to ski of the ride then definitely the 177. If you hang out in the upper and lower front then either one will do. Let your skill set be the determining factor.
Yes, but 21 or 20? I ski all over the mountain.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but 21 or 20? I ski all over the mountain.

Doesn't matter. If you like the 2020, you have struck oil. Stop drilling.
There will be plenty of time for the 2021. For all you know, you may not like the improvements on the 2021s.
Newer and much much much improved does not always mean better (for you).

"I ski all over the mountain." - Yeah, I was afraid of that. :ogcool:

TS
G

gward

Booting up
Skier
"I ski all over the mountain." - Yeah, I was afraid of that. :ogcool:
Well, it was a general answer. I'm 51. I like to challenge myself, so I'll ski bumps, steeps, some hike to stuff, glades, trees, etc. for a bit. But then my legs get tired, and I go ski blues and greens with my wife and kids. So, I really do want to be comfortable everywhere ... even when I get in over my head! Of course in another year I'll just be trying to keep up with my son ...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you are in the bumps much, go with the new one for the lighter weight. Been on the 100 for 3 years as a daily driver and the bumps were the only thing they have not been really good in. Reading the 51 article has me thinking about getting out the credit card though. THANKS A LOT @Philpug !

I bought a pair of Enforcer 88's to handle that problem.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, it was a general answer. I'm 51. I like to challenge myself, so I'll ski bumps, steeps, some hike to stuff, glades, trees, etc. for a bit. But then my legs get tired, and I go ski blues and greens with my wife and kids. So, I really do want to be comfortable everywhere ... even when I get in over my head! Of course in another year I'll just be trying to keep up with my son ...

Aww, another young'um.
Just kidding.

The 2020 will be fine for Taos. Great value. I have a instructor friend there who love that ski. Very pivoty. Taos generally favors shorter and softer skis.
To be honest, IMO a 100 ski is too wide for Taos. Watch and see what the instructors are on. 88/90 are usually the go to width for DD. 72/78 for the firmer days.

To fix the premature tired leg, do a ski week. It works wonders for those legs.
Better yet, come to next year's Taos mini-gathering. Here is the trash talk thread and @dbostedo trip report.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just one thing to add, I (and I know others here) will sometimes go out of our way to buy an outgoing model partially because of price, but partially because if I really like a ski, I figure I’ll still be plenty happy with it when its time to take the new pair (or three) out of the wrapper.

Well, I also second the recommendation to look at ~90 mm skis if you haven’t, but get whatever works for you. Some people seem to absolutely love their wide skis, even if I’ve tended to go narrower over the past several years. (Doesn’t hurt that I discovered SLs are a ton of fun. Do recommend a Laser SC demo from Alain if you’re interested.)