• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2020 Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is all true. Everyone mentions it. And everyone is right. Still, it's no skin off your nose to try them to see.

PS: If you have a choice between a Wingman CTi and a Ripstick, try the Wingman on groomers first. Special.
Oh, absolutely I'll be trying them. And, with our recent snow even that was more un-snow than snow, I think it'll be groomer skiing quite a bit. I've heard the Wingman is quite nice.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I picked up the Black Edition (BE) in a 181 a couple of weeks back and have a few days on them. this is a superb ski it can be serious or a ton-o-fun depending on how you ski it. It has a even, moderate flex in the tip, stiff underfoot and a moderate + flex in the tail. I mounted them with Elan attack 13 demos. After skiing a variety of conditions from hero snow groomers to knee deep Fresh to broken 10-18" I ended up at mount point of -1.5.( I have found every Elan to have a suggested mount point that is too far froward). Skiing the BE is a blast, I loved this ski from the first turn, even with the mount point too forward, I loved the feel of the ski. It's has the unique combination of being able to rail groomers at speed with stability but can also be skied flat and schmeary like a fat, tapered ski in powder. Although I'm on Injured Reserve this season, I skied them in knee deep blower in some easy trees and they pivoted on a dime which I didn't expect. I dont typically ski powder on anything wider than a 100 so the 96 is plenty wide for me. I had ample float from the BE's. The BE also rips (hence Ripsticks for sure) groomers too. Very stable and the ski engages smoothly but positively. A lot of fun with SR turns; the ski can be loaded up and popped out of turns. The BE also does extremely well in broken snow/crud and bumps. The Unique shape of the tail and just the right amount of tip rocker certainly helps this ski slither through bumped and tracked out snow.

Who's it for? I really can't recommend this ski enough to just about any skier but its best enjoyed by advanced skiers and up. I dont think it's demanding but it will respond best to those who have an understanding of edging and how to work a ski. Intermediates just wont get the benefits out of this ski.

Who's it not for? Hmm, as stated its best enjoyed by those who have some skills and probably lightweight skiers may find it too stiff (but Skiers like @Tony S who have skills can overcome this)

Insider tip: Demo or ski with a demo binding first. Elan mount points are notoriously too far forward. This is not a park ski so unless you spend a lot of time in the air, you dont need it so close to center.

More on Amphibio, yeah its a pain but I do think it works and you just use the ski that has the "96" on the outer edge. Dont let it stop you from buying the ski (if you can still find one).

Mounting point and stack height. I am a big advocate of skiers finding the mount point that best fits their skiing ability and style and I typically use demo bindings. In the case of Elan and the BE, I started out at the factory recommended point (the ski has 1 cm delineations on the ski ) but skiing 300 yards down to the lift, you could feel they were too forward resulting in a twitchy, squirrelly feel. I moved them back one CM and then another 5mm before they felt balanced on both groomed snow and off piste., Since part of the BE is the light weight, I am putting on regular Attacks to shave off a pound of weight. I also felt the ski would benefit from a lower stack (the demo's are 32mm IIRC) of 17mm.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ I feel better now that you mention this about the mount points. I, too, took a pair out last week (the Ripstick 88) and the mount point made me rather not care for the ski. Unfortunately, with my BSL of 263, moving the bindings any further back would not work.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
skied mine again today - day 50something for the year on these.
I hear what @Ron is saying about mount point and almost went demo to explore moving them back a touch.
Today’s terrain was mostly double diamond, steeeep and narrow ass chutes, some spots only a ski length across in Mine shaft, Marlboro country and the avi fences here at BS where a pivot slip is a necessity and on the line felt good.

***Additional I spent part of the day with the skis on the opposite feet than labeled and gotta say they skied fine and almost a bit stronger if that’s possible?
This Perhaps.........
495AC966-3271-402C-BE47-51DF8713ECC8.jpeg

Reactions: Ron

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The one time I was on an Elan "amphibio" model ski I rember thinking "correct feet" better for gromers and "wrong feet" better for bumps and trees. Yes I like to break the rules. Have you tried them that way Tony?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The one time I was on an Elan "amphibio" model ski I rember thinking "correct feet" better for gromers and "wrong feet" better for bumps and trees. Yes I like to break the rules. Have you tried them that way Tony?
I'm still using my 88XTi, but struggle in the bumps with 186 cm skis. I'll need to try the wrong-footed approach. I love the full camber on the inside for groomers.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I haven't. So far every day I've have on these skis has been with a group and I have haven't wanted to futz around. When I'm alone I will.

Right now I'm in Utah and the storm forecast when I was packing did not materialize, so wishing I had brought a narrow and a medium instead of a medium and a fat. (The Ripstick is the medium.) Oh well. :huh:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Skied today in a over a foot of blower, the Ripstick BE was superb, I love this ski! you can charge it or schemer it, its happy either way,

edit. SCHMEAR. auto correct strikes again

Last edited:

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony — great review! I could be your twin... uh, except I’m 6 lbs lighter, 2 inches taller, 9 years older, and 15 times less proficient a skier.

I demo’ed the green Ripstick 96 my first 2.5 ski days here at JH. I liked it a lot, but I’m not sure I’m in love with it. It was a lot of fun in the new snow we got early in the week. And it was confidence-building in the bumps. But JH has a LOT of steep groomers, which tend to get scraped out by mid-day. The Elans never actually bailed on me, but their chattering made me nervous (Disclosure: I demo’ed Enforcer 93s at Taos last month).

Some questions:
  1. The demo guy put me on 167s. Do you think the trips down steeps might have been smoother had I been on the next length up? (174?)
  2. Besides graphics, what are the differences between the black and green editions? (Does the black have metal?)
  3. This latter half of the week I’m demo-ing the Head Kore 93 in 171. It seems steadier on the steeps and still fine in ungroomed. Did you try these? If so, how would you compare them to the Ripsticks?

4. Thanks!!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
did you leave the bindings on the line or try moving them back? The mount point needs to go back at least 1 cm. Once you do this, the ski will quiet down.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The demo guy put me on 167s. Do you think the trips down steeps might have been smoother had I been on the next length up? (174?)

Having skied with you, I'd say "No." 165 - 170 seems like a good length for you in a western all mountain ski.

On top of what Ron says, the chattering thing is partly a technique issue.

Besides graphics, what are the differences between the black and green editions? (Does the black have metal?)

The Black has carbon elements and is reported to be a bit smoother and stiffer.

This latter half of the week I’m demo-ing the Head Kore 93 in 171. It seems steadier on the steeps and still fine in ungroomed. Did you try these? If so, how would you compare them to the Ripsticks?

I have tried them - only for a couple runs. Very nice ski. I like the Elan a bit better because I can bend the forebody easier. The Head has that "stiff but pre-bent" quality that I don't like as much.

FWIW, you tend to gravitate to stiff skis like the Kendo. I think you would do well to try to make a narrower, softer ski work for you in this category. At your size it'll make your life much easier in the bumps. The stability you're looking for on groomers will come with better carving, less waist width, and higher angles, not more beef. The previous generation Kästle FX 85 would be perfect IMHO.