• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Last time I got on the Speed Zone 12 Ti was when it was first released a few years back, so instead of regurgitating that review, I felt it would suit the community better if I wrote a new one because perceptions can change. Well, that wasn't the case with the Speed Zone 12 Ti. The ski is all I remember and more. In this segment, where there are a lot of new contenders, the Speed Zone is the old man -- but that doesn't hold it back, it will go up against all with its age and wisdom. The dampening that Dynastar puts in between the core and the sidewall really does make a difference: it is not just fancy words on the topsheet; you can feel how silky the 12 reacts on the snow.

Insider tip: Tip it and rip it.​

FairToMiddlin: Dynastar has a great 72mm carver here, with a 15m radius, great snow feel (within shouting distance of the Stöckli Laser series), and even some talent in the bumps. My voice memo on the Speed Zone says, “It doesn’t have quite the power of the Atomic Redster, or quite the personality of the Elan SLX, but it has a very nice blend of both.” It also has more versatility than both, although I wouldn’t quite give it one-ski-quiver status.

Insider tip: Like the Redster and SLX, this is a ski you can trust to tell you what’s going on, giving you the data you need to make good choices. In a culture that seems gaga over lightness, it is nice to see skis like this still being made.​

Andy Mink: Honesty in advertising: we all want it. Dynastar wasn't lying when it slapped the "Speed Zone" moniker on the topsheet. You could ski this all day and have a great time, but it really does want your attention. Lay it over, and it just keeps grinding the snow. Get off it and it still wants to turn, even if you're not paying attention. For those who want to be able to relax occasionally, there are other skis that come close to the Speed Zone's carving ability but are less demanding. That said, the SZ should be in the running for those who want to become more technical or just love to turn. All. The. Time.

Insider tip: Get on, click in, hold on, and TURN!​

Awards
Who is it for?
Stronger skiers who like a few extra o’s in their smooth. Frontside carvers who want a touch more versatility, without any compromise in trench-laying grins.
Who is it not for?
Those who demand catlike quickness in every turn; it’s there, but you have to work for it. The skier who wants to turn but is more relaxed about the day.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
158, 166, 174, 182
Dimensions
121-72-106
Radius
15m@174cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System

Last edited by a moderator:

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
“For those who want to be able to relax occasionally, there are other skis that come close to the Speed Zone's carving ability but are less demanding“

Interested to hear what those might be

Reactions: jpi

Sponsor