• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 DPS Alchemist 79 "The Trainer"

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: This is a ski that I did not expect from DPS; in fact, just looking at it, neither would you. Not so much that the 79mm width isn't what you would expect, but the way the ski reacts on hard snow is what really surprised me, the Trainer is a scalpel of a hard-snow ski.

Tricia: If I were to make a Top 5 list of skis that blew me away this past season, this would be No. 1. Coming from a company like DPS, which has built its reputation on top-quality powder skis, I didn’t know what to expect when they told me to try what they referred to as The Trainer -- but I didn’t expect what I got, which was a playful, snappy ski that turned on a dime and flew through the moguls. The only conditions in which I didn’t feel like it excelled were heavy Sierra snow; that’s when the Cassiar 79 got pushed around.

This is the ski that will make you rethink DPS as just a powder and off-piste ski company and know them as a ski company that knows how to make quality skis for the entire mountain. I skied this ski in two lengths; I tend to prefer the 167 length, but the 160 was just as fun.

I liken this ski to the sexy librarian: she looks very serious, but is ready take off the glasses and show her naughty side.

Insider tip: Don’t overthink the sizing, choose your normal sizing,​

Awards
Who is it for?
The nonconformist; any skier looking for a playful ski that seriously carves.
Who is it not for?
While this is called The Trainer, some might still want something traditional.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
160, 167, 174
Dimensions
123-79-106
Radius
12.5m@160cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I just have to say, I picked these up on closeout a couple years ago and just got around to mounting them this season. I don't understand why these aren't more popular. This ski absolutely rocks! Sure it's not a race pedigree ski, its going to chatter on frozen crud, but it can lay over a super tight carved turn and then on the next run zip through the bumps like its a piece of cake. To me, these feel kind of like a skinny waisted Wailer 100 RP. Surprisingly good at carving and in the bumps without the width of the Wailer. Love these things! Bring them back DPS!

Sponsor