• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0L Duramax Delivers EPA-Estimated 33 MPG Highway

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1561035700643.jpg
2020 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 3.0L DURAMAX DELIVERS EPA-ESTIMATED 33 MILES PER GALLON HIGHWAY
With all-new turbo-diesel engine, Silverado delivers full-size truck capabilities with highway fuel efficiency of some family sedans

DETROIT —
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the available, all-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel engine delivers an EPA-estimated 33 mpg highway and 23 city in rear-wheel-drive models. EPA-estimated fuel economy for four-wheel drive models is 29 mpg highway/23 city.

With an SAE-certified 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, the Silverado 3.0L Duramax with four-wheel drive is also capable of towing up to 9,300 pounds and a max payload of 1,870 pounds, meeting the towing needs of about 90 percent of light-duty customers.

“We designed the all-new Silverado and the all-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel to deliver both performance and efficiency,” said Tim Herrick, Silverado executive chief engineer. “The engine utilizes state-of-the-art technologies to optimize every drop of fuel, and takes advantage of architectural changes to make Silverado larger, lighter and more aerodynamic than before. The resulting combination offers all of the performance, refinement and capability customers want in a full-size truck, with highway fuel efficiency you would expect from a family sedan.”

This is the first diesel offered in Chevrolet’s light-duty trucks since 1997, and the brand’s first-ever inline-six configuration for full-size, light duty trucks. As such, engineers had a clean sheet to leverage the efficiency and balance of an inline-six-cylinder architecture.

“We set out to offer light duty truck customers the best of diesel – outstanding fuel economy, great horsepower and responsive torque – plus unexpected levels of refinement,” said Nicola Menarini, director for diesel truck engine program execution. “We leveraged our global diesel expertise to make sure the all-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel engine offers the impressive performance and durability our truck customers demand.”

Highly durable materials make up key components, including iron cylinder liners within the aluminum engine block, a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods as well as blended silicon/aluminum pistons for greater heat resistance and reduced expansion. The engine was subjected to the same extreme simulated and real-world performance testing every Chevrolet truck engine undergoes to ensure the highest standards of durability and performance.

The truck draws on innovative technologies to deliver impressive fuel economy and a refined customer experience.
  • The inline-six engine provides an inherently balanced configuration for low noise and vibration characteristics. It features an aluminum block for weight reduction, an 84mm x 90mm bore and stroke, dual-overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder.
  • A new active thermal management system warms up propulsion components more quickly for more efficient operation.
  • The exhaust brake, which is available in tow-haul mode, can provide additional driver confidence when towing, especially when going downhill.
  • The driver-selectable stop/start technology enhances fuel economy by shutting off the engine at stoplights and certain other stop-and-go situations, helping save fuel. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake.
  • The 3.0L Duramax is exclusively paired with a Hydra-Matic 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission, featuring smaller gear steps and an overall larger ratio spread to enable peak efficiency. Intelligent controls adjust to the driver’s needs for smooth operation and aggressive response.
The Duramax 3.0L turbo-diesel marks Chevrolet’s fourth diesel truck in the available lineup, joining the Colorado, Silverado HD and Silverado Medium Duty. The company draws on deep diesel truck experience from the Silverado HD with the Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 and Colorado with the Duramax 2.8L Turbo-Diesel.

The new diesel option completes the all-new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 propulsion portfolio, which provides maximum customer choice through eight trims paired with six engine/transmission combinations. The 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel is available on the LT, RST, LTZ and High Country trims. For the LTZ and High Country, the 3.0L Diesel is a $2,495 option, identical to that of the 6.2L V-8. For the LT and RST, it is a $3,890 increase over a 2.7L Turbo engine.

Beyond the 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel, the 2020 Silverado 1500 propulsion lineup includes:
  • The most advanced V-8s in the brand’s history and updated versions of Chevrolet’s proven 5.3L and 6.2L engines equipped with industry-first Dynamic Fuel Management featuring 17 different modes of cylinder deactivation. The available 6.2L RST achieves class-leading light duty towing capability of 13,400 pounds.
  • An all-new, advanced 2.7L Turbo engine that replaces the 4.3L V-6 as the standard engine on the high-volume Silverado LT and new Silverado RST.
  • Proven 4.3L V-6 and 5.3L V-8 engines deliver full-size truck capability and performance for the most affordable trucks in the Silverado lineup.
The first customer deliveries of the 2020 Silverado 1500 with the available 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel are expected to begin in the fall.

ABOUT CHEVROLET

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 100 countries and selling more than 4.0 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty cool. What was the mileage of Dodge Cummins diesel truck in 1992? I think they advertised 25mpg, but epa tests were less real then.
How expensive is the motor? +$4k? Then you have to decide if it’s worth it. In the northeast, diesel is almost always more than regular. 40c to $1 per gallon.

A new active thermal management system warms up propulsion components more quickly for more efficient operation.
Wonder what that is. They’re warming the tranny and differential?

Highly durable materials make up key components, including iron cylinder liners within the aluminum engine block, a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods as well as blended silicon/aluminum pistons for greater heat resistance and reduced expansion.
20th century technology. I’d think they’d ceramic coat the pistons, but maybe with a diesel durability is a question.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty cool. What was the mileage of Dodge Cummins diesel truck in 1992? I think they advertised 25mpg, but epa tests were less real then.
How expensive is the motor? +$4k?
Not bad. +$2495 over the regular motor.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a 03 Chevy diesel and got 24 mpg all round . Then grabbed a 11 Chevy diesel with all the emissions crap plus def and all it got was 14 mph all round. I don’t believe I will ever buy another diesel, the cost to fix is very costly and so is the vehicle.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sounds interesting but I want to make sure UI can get someone to tune it
I had a 03 Chevy diesel and got 24 mpg all round . Then grabbed a 11 Chevy diesel with all the emissions crap plus def and all it got was 14 mph all round. I don’t believe I will ever buy another diesel, the cost to fix is very costly and so is the vehicle.
I would only consider a diesel that could be fairly easily ECU tuned and "deleted". Most of the new ones make it a huge PITA and the few tuners that can do it charge silly money.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sounds interesting but I want to make sure UI can get someone to tune it

I would only consider a diesel that could be fairly easily ECU tuned and "deleted". Most of the new ones make it a huge PITA and the few tuners that can do it charge silly money.

The electronics on every car are ungodly complex but it is amazing what they can accomplish.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The electronics on every car are ungodly complex but it is amazing what they can accomplish.
I'm sure most here have been involved with things equally or more complex. The real problem is the expen$ive tools required to work on them. A few years back, a $200. scan tool was sufficient. Now you want a $5000. scam tool. And if you can afford one to work on just your own car, you probably want to spend your time doing something else, like earning money or enjoying your time off (baring a small percent of hobiests).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
How expensive is the motor? +$4k? Then you have to decide if it’s worth it. In the northeast, diesel is almost always more than regular. 40c to $1 per gallon.

Wonder what that is. They’re warming the tranny and differential?

20th century technology. I’d think they’d ceramic coat the pistons, but maybe with a diesel durability is a question.

My '91 Dodge

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My 3/4 ton '91 Dodge Cummins diesel 4X4 gets 25mp Imperial gallon or about 21-22 mpg in US gallons. Bought new in '91 it's MSRP was $4,500 more than a 5.9L gas V8 and at the time I calculated that it would take about 2 years of normal driving or 4 years of low mileage driving to make up the difference. 28 years later, I still own the truck. In Canada diesel is cheaper than gasoline by about .60-.80 per gallon.

Currently weighing in at 8800lbs fully loaded, with my Dodge diesel and truck camper and winter ski gear, I estimate around 15-16 MPG US on the highway. It will easily go 80mph even against a head wind but I usually go around 70mph and I would no doubt get slightly better fuel economy if I kept it around 55- 60mph.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know why, but I find this much cooler knowing that it is a straight-6 than I would if it was a V-6.

I know why: A straight 6 delivers greater torque than a V6 in either a gas or diesel set up.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Please put this drivetrain in the upcoming Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon XL/Escalade.

Saw this on tunas link...
GM Duramax 3.0-Liter I-6 LM2 Turbo Diesel Engine
The Duramax 3.0L I-6 is a new turbo-diesel engine produced by General Motors for use in various vehicles, especially full-size half-ton pickup trucks and potentially SUVs. Unofficially known as “baby Duramax”, the engine is an all-new design from the ground up.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lm2/#ixzz5utRgYHXv

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a typo! :D

In Ontario, diesel is regularly .05 to .10 more than regular.

You are correct. I should have said in B.C. diesel is a lot cheaper than gas due to Provincial Government's high taxes on gasoline and anti pipeline stance. Right now gas in Victoria is around $1.40/L. Last time I checked diesel was $1.20/L.

Edit: I just Googled the price of diesel in BC and it is $136/L so I guess I was not up to date. But when gas was at $1.60/L a few months ago, that is when diesel did not go up and was around $1.40/L

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Anyone driving these Baby Duramax engines yet? Would love some 1st hand reports (will go digging in other forums next). Long time diesel head, from a '68 Mercedes 200 D Automatic - non-turbo that was beautiful and could barely get out of it's own way on a slight incline, to multiple VW diesels (long live the TDi), to modern M-B diesel in their large SUV platform GL350 that we loved. Gotta take a hard look at this new Duramax in a Suburban or Yukon XL, but this new tech gives me a lot of pause, especially the multi-port variable water pump, and 'wet belt' to the variable oil pump to the variable exhaust valve. That's a lot of new stuff with potential issues.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Do you have to AdBlue with those engines as well? Factor in some additional cost if so or get used to collecting your own wee.

James

Out There
Instructor
In the Northeast diesel is almost always more than gas. Not .05 or .10 either.
I think currently it’s about .50 or 20% more.

Variable valve timing has been around for awhile. It’s a big reason how Ford gets so much out of their small turbo engines that still pull in the 2k rpm range. Pretty impressive.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
I am trying out a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel as the OnEdge family ski taxi this season.

So far we're getting 22.5mpg in mixed driving but its still early in the test - the family truckster SUV that predated the truck was getting 17.5 mpg. You do need to add Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) although I haven't done it yet - I don't plan on supplying my own, and will use the blue stuff.

I looked briefly at the new GM/GMC full sized SUVs, and while there is a diesel on offer, as a preliminary matter it didn't look like I'd be able to get the motor on the trim I was interested in.

Sponsor