• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Blizzard Rustler 10

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FairToMiddlin: I was gaga over the Rustler 10 last year, and this year, Blizzard told us that it increased the wood core thickness by 1mm, gave it a new top sheet, and called it a day. So, all the loveliness from the original, with a supposed higher top speed, what’s not to like? Sorry to say, Blizzard didn’t seem to care if we found out. The pair handed to me easily wins the award for Most Appalling Tune this year. The base-high contour of the bottom robbed the ski of all the snappy responses its shape is capable of, and it skied nothing like the stellar pair I had last year. Only in very soft snow (or mindless straightlining, which I had to resort to) was the flex able to poke its nose past the unresponsiveness of the tune and reveal a bit more beef underfoot. The increase in stability is there, but wasn’t game changing, and I wouldn’t encourage anyone to ditch their current 10s.

So (combining this, and last year’s more actionable test): in either current or future form, the Rustler 10 is a hugely talented ski: its shape offers quickness in hard or soft snow, the medium/soft flex lets the driver easily select a variety of turns, and the construction offers enough beef to motor through crud at an amusing speed. I still want a pair.

Stephen: The Rustler 10 was my second favorite of the day -- mainly because I felt that it is a cross between the playfulness of the Tracer 108 and the business side of the Invictus 99Ti. I can see this being a great ski for a one- or two-ski quiver. Just add a carver for a 2SQ or stick with it through everything: it holds the snow well enough to carve a bit and make it through chop but also easily handles a bit of powder. I was impressed.

Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor.​

Awards
Who is it for?
A lot of people. Those looking for a wider, do-it-all ski. Off-piste aficionados who want to make all kinds of turns.
Who is it not for?
Big-mountain chargers will be better served with the Cochise. Those with a larger quiver. There are other skis that excel in the different areas.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men