• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 6.23.04 AM.png
Here is a good old-vs-new-guard Cage Match, the Blizzard Bonafide and the K2 Mindbender 99Ti. In about 2010, the Bonafide tore the torch away from the Völkl Mantra to become the reference ski in the 98mm category; it carried that torch until the golden child, Nordica Enforcer, started shining brightly. Blizzard made some evolutionary changes to the Bonafide, resulting in an even better ski, but we are dealing with fickle consumers, and their attention was directed to the new shiny object. This is a shame because the Bonafide is as good as it ever was. Today's new toy, the K2 Mindbender 99Ti, is creating its own waves.

The Bonafide is still a great ski. Yes, I have said it twice. Everything you have read about the ski is true. Even though Blizzard isn’t “selling” Flipcore any more, the rise in the tip and tail that we have come to love is still there. The Bone is one of the smoothest and dampest skis in this segment, rock solid at any speed above a green trail. Loyalists will start squirreling them away once they hear a replacement is on the horizon.

Aaannnnd, the new kid. With the early introduction of the Mindbender 99Ti last season, it feels like this ski has been around longer than it has, but no, this is its first year. The Mindbender is multiple phases into the "new K2." If you think K2 is still making gear for your Uncle Ken who shopped for skis at Sports Authority, come on out from under your rock and get on their new stuff. The Mindbender’s shape is fantastic; there is actually some of the Bonafide feel to it, in that it is heavy and substantially solid. Where other brands zigged to keep the grams low, K2 zagged by making a ski that wasn’t a slave to the scale,
  • Why choose the Bonafide? You are set in your ways, you know what works for you, and dammit, there is no need to change. You like to let them run and are not afraid of losing your pass.
  • Why choose the Mindbender 99Ti? You like have a tighter turn-in even when you are charging. The 139mm tip is 6 mm wider than that of the Bonafide, so the K2 is a bit quicker across the hill. Is this at the cost of top end? I am just as comfortable at speed on the Mindbender as I am on any of my Bonafides.
  • Insider tip: If you find that you are in between sizing with one of these skis, just go to the other. Bonafide: 173, 180, 187; Mindbender 99Ti: 170, 177, 184, 191. So I can say with complete confidence, size doesn’t matter.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The K2 Mindbender 99 was my surprise ski of the early season demos. On hard pack it absolutely lays trenches and felt fairly unflappable. My question though (as posted in another thread), is what's the personality of this ski when taken off-piste?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, what a great match, and description. Thanks, Phil!

I've owned a pair of Bonafides with Pivot 18s, after liking this ski more and more the last few years. Whatta great ski, at least the newer version for a lighter weight skier like me. Just yesterday, I was out with friends in a mild blizzard here at Loveland, on 2" to 4" of fresh and more. Like a dream, dialed in and smooth in its carve. A memorable day on the Bonafide. (But when there was a first rope drop on wind hardened, crusty, deep powder and chop, that Bonafide was so overpowered. And I retreated to milder soft terrain, to again just charge.)

I've demoed the new K2 Mindbender also.

So that was what my friend Randy was doing charging on this ski half of last season!!!

Dear @Noodler, if the way my friend was skiing on his 184 MB 99s is any indication, the MB may still be suspect in big moguls and deeper snow, but otherwise....

This year, for myself on p.m., skied off, mogeled up and a bit icy groomer terrain, the MB was tops; for me, even better than the Kastle MX74, a much narrower carving ski favorite - at least that day. It is stable at speed in such conditions. It just stood out. Fun.

Before I'd finished my first few runs, I thought to myself, the Bonafide might now have a challenger.

(Randy tells me it does well in at least a bit more powder. I've seen him do better in crud and spring slush, charging and carving. Blistergear seems to think so too. We shall see.)

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I put in an order for a pair in 184. Like I need more skis. :huh::yahoo:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have to get on the Mindbender 99ti (184cm) again. It felt meh, just ok. Compared to the MX99 184cm and the Bonafide 187cm (and the Mantra 102 184cm)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have to get on the Mindbender 99ti (184cm) again. It felt meh, just ok. Compared to the MX99 184cm and the Bonafide 187cm (and the Mantra 102 184cm)

I gotta try those Kastle MX 99s.

Maybe it was just me. Not the first time. :huh:

For you, maybe the tune? I know I was turned off/misdirected away from the Mindbender 90, maybe because my demo pair had a poor tune? Not sure.

It might also be a sizing thing: you bigger, maybe need longer: I found my sweet spot on the Bonafide 180, after all.

I suspect that for straight up charging, but not in powder, the Mantra 102 184 (little float?). For G.S.-like charging on groomers, the M5 Mantra 177 or 184 (for me, on an elevated plate with at least the 177s). But for even a touch of soft snow, slush, or crud and up to 6" powder, the MB 99 at least right up there with the Bonafide? Guess I'll find out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sounds good.
I don’t find the Bonafide, last yrs version, to be heavy and damp. It’s kind of carbony. It could really use to be Stockli-fied to truly make it great.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sounds good.
I don’t find the Bonafide, last yrs version, to be heavy and damp. It’s kind of carbony. It could really use to be Stockli-fied to truly make it great.

Wouldn't that be true of a lot of skis? The Stockli-fied bit.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wouldn't that be true of a lot of skis? The Stockli-fied bit.
Sure. It also works the other way too though. Doesn't change my opinion. It's kind of a traditional classic, but not all that good. Good enough, maybe. Time for an improvement. There's also a length prob. See Josh's comments.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(Parental Warning Rated R) I'm not convinced after multiple demos of the Enforcer 100's in different conditions. It was supposed to be a cockblocking Bone-killer! Nah... not at all. It... ended up being a "noodle". Flip to switch on the Enforcer's and always a threat of catching the back tips. Hit it w/ the Bones any style and they perform, front, back... Tiger Woods style... whatever.... the Bones handle it!

Also Flipcore revolution still alive and kicking like a Yellow Vest... for those of us with most of our power in the midsection, hips and ass. Easily use those body parts to execute any maneuver from our point of power... all day long. I'm keeping my Bones! Not dissing K2 as I am curious about their new offering. Time and a few demos will tell. The hope is that they will produce enough skis to allow for plentiful demos.

Last edited:

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I still love my Bones from '16 - carbon tips first iteration. I have only demo'd the newer version - so not a lot of time on them. More compliant than mine but they also lost a little something as well. I demo'd the K2 MB last year. Nice ski for sure. The Bones felt more planted and damp. They both have a top end of my need and reach - but I felt more planted, solid and connected on the Bones.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can anyone please explain the magic marker-like, lines across the top sheets of the 2020 Bones? Is this part of the cosmetics? Not looking for speculation. Wondering if anyone knows from Blizzard, if this is part of the "cosmetics" and why the lines are there?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can anyone please explain the magic marker-like, lines across the top sheets of the 2020 Bones? Is this part of the cosmetics? Not looking for speculation. Wondering if anyone knows from Blizzard, if this is part of the "cosmetics" and why the lines are there?

2020 Brahma(both models), Bonafide and Cochise all have topsheets with those lines on them that are strictly cosmetic. Skis unchanged from last year that just had different top sheets.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2020 Brahma(both models), Bonafide and Cochise all have topsheets with those lines on them that are strictly cosmetic. Skis unchanged from last year that just had different top sheets.
Merry Christmas and thanks for the reply! They look like someone drew on them w/ a plain magic marker. I don't get it :huh: When I rec'd the skis I thought it was a cosmetic defect. That's what it looks like. No real rhyme or reason to the "art", just random lines. What am I missing?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agreed!
Doesn’t look as weird on the Brahma skis as they are black but it looks like an afterthought on the Bonafide and Cochise.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GF says it looks like someone messed up the Master Print and they just left it... I have an email off to Blizzard asking about the back story on this.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FWIW I was a diehard Volkl/Blizzard fan for years. Demo’d the MB 99 last year and immediately sold my Bonafides and bought the K2s. Absolutely love those skis.
Very curious now. I want to demo the K2's. Tell us what you liked. :beercheer:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just heard back from Blizzard on the black line marker "art" on the Bones & Brahma's. The response; " I don’t have any insight on the artwork other then they where try to change it up from being just the full on red. "

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All the stability and top end of the bonafide but more versatile and fun at slower speeds and in trees.
What size and level are you and did you go w/ the 184 or 177 or other? Other reviews I'm reading since starting to research this ski, say that the MB 99Ti prefers that you stay in the "front seat" (wgt over the shovels) to properly activate. Was that the case and did you get to ski these in tight trees, moguls and drills @ Jay, also off piste? Thanks for your input! I'll def be looking to demo.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online