• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Atomic Vantage 97 Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I was excited to get on this ski because the previous generation never wowed me. It was a nice ski but just kind of ... there. I was able to get on this ski very early with [name drop] Daron Rahlves [/name drop] and was impressed with how solid it felt. We are seeing some newer mesh technology from Atomic, which has pulled it off nicely. The 97 Ti holds well on the snow with a connection I haven’t felt from the Austrian company in recent memory.

Usually light means nervous in a ski, but skiing the 97 Ti on firmer early-season snow (a loose term), I felt no nervousness at all, just a solid attachment to the ground. The gradual tip shape works well for initiation, and I like that Atomic narrowed it to 97 mm from the 100 mm of the previous generation.

Insider tip: Step up to the Ti for a bit more dampness.​

Drahtguy Kevin: A fun, lightweight, off-piste-oriented ski that is exhilarating in the wind buff, bumps, and crud, the 97 Ti still serves up a quick, poppy ride on the groomed. Superior flex and snow feel complement a tip that makes entering turns easy. The solid tail releases on command. This IS the one-ski quiver for skiers in the West. My favorite of the Copper Mountain test.

Insider tip: Don’t let the weight fool you, it is strong enough for the Clydesdales among us.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Gentle giants. Those who want to charge but maybe not all the time. Skiers with imagination. The 97 Ti willingly goes wherever you want and performs admirably.
Who is it not for?
Backseat skiers; the tip wants to be engaged. Groomer-only skiers; this ski wants to take you places.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
  3. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry