• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0089.JPG

Atomic is taking a chance that no other boot brand was willing to do: it is coming out with an all-new rear-entry boot collection. The Savor collection might start with a boot, but it is actually an entire equipment system. This thread, however, will be focusing on the boot, and we will talk about the ski and what the Savor system is designed to do in another thread.

Atomic is looking to address two areas with the Savor collection: never-evers/beginners and aging skiers. This is not a modern SX92...Atomic was adamant not to build an expert rear entry. Per one of their head designers, it is not building a boot for the Scot Schmidts and Glen Plakes of the world; there are already boots for them. These are for the people starting out and aging skiers. Atomic's catalog has a three-column chart on the marketing direction for these boots: Before Skiing, While Skiing, and After Skiing. All three columns have bullet points, but there is a common theme in all three, which is the word "Easy."

Will this boot be for the members of Pugski.com? Probably not, but it will be for the people searching the internet for various sking topics like "beginning skiers" or "how to get my ski boots on and off" and coming across this thread. If the Savor makes skiing accessible for more people, we are all for it.

Atomic Press Release: HERE

IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0087.JPG

First impression: I had a chance to try on an early-production of the Savor at Atomic's headquarters in Ogden, UT, and I emphasize, "early production." The boot did not have a production liner in it. Even so, the fit was uniform around the foot, almost snug in the heel. It was easy (there is that word again) to get on and off and easy to buckle. I look forward to skiing the boot at Copper and will be reporting later in this thread.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Finally!!!

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I know I still see a lot of old Salomons in the lodge being used by retirees. These will sell as long as they are easy on and off. I saw a 75+ year old man literally scream out loud the other day as his wife tried to pull off his regular boot. I'm sure he'd buy this in a minute,

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, Atomic will achive what they are setting out to do for the entry level and beginner skier but I still think that there IS a market for a SX92 type boot out there. With 70 becoming the new 50, there is still an "senior" segment that wants higher end performance that as Atomic says is easy to get on and off. These skiers still have the skills but some just do not have the strength to get a boot on and off. A modern SX would fit that need. Simple flex adjusters and a forefoot band to a boot like this would go a long way. As @Jersey Skier skier says, there is a lot of SX's still out on the hill. I know I cannot go a day without seeing two three pair out there on the hill. These are not all on the feet of people too frugal to upgrade but skiers that know they don't have modern option.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As I *cough* mature, I do find it harder to get in and out of my ski boots. So far, I can still manage; I would hope that an inability to get my boot on and off will not end my ski life. Hopefully, these boots become a solution for many.
Simple. Put them on at the beginning of the season, take them off at the end.:)

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
IMHO, Atomic will achive what they are setting out to do for the entry level and beginner skier but I still think that there IS a market for a SX92 type boot out there. With 70 becoming the new 50, there is still an "senior" segment that wants higher end performance that as Atomic says is easy to get on and off. These skiers still have the skills but some just do not have the strength to get a boot on and off. A modern SX would fit that need. Simple flex adjusters and a forefoot band to a boot like this would go a long way. As @Jersey Skier skier says, there is a lot of SX's still out on the hill. I know I cannot go a day without seeing two three pair out there on the hill. These are not all on the feet of people too frugal to upgrade but skiers that know they don't have modern option.
Why not try the cabrio design that Dalbello has done a really good job with? Easy on & easy off, adjustable flex tongue and HP?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why not try the cabrio design that Dalbello has done a really good job with? Easy on & easy off, adjustable flex tongue and HP?
They were looking for simplicity...again to quote Atomic...easy. A cabrio with the three pieces is still fairly complex compared to this.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, ok. What's better about this than say Alpina's rear entry?

I get their target market, I don't get just making a low performance boot and declaring victory. Why not make a platform that can go low or high? Or are they doing it and not saying?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Go for it Atomic. :crossfingers:
There is absolutely several great applications for the rear entry boot as mentioned above. Nearly unlimited potential adaptations that would make this a killer product for an old lazy recreational skiers, like me.

If this thing sells you know a lot of older molds from a number of manufacturers are coming off of the shelf.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get their target market, I don't get just making a low performance boot and declaring victory. Why not make a platform that can go low or high? Or are they doing it and not saying?
The are offering a 110 that will have an Air Fit bladder.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beginners yes. Not sure about the OLD FOLKS market. My ski (and life) partner is 75 YO and he would not give up the precision of a good boot for ease of entry. Maybe when he's 90..ogwink

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, ok. What's better about this than say Alpina's rear entry?
Atomic has a presence in the ski world. Think also about Atomic's new owners and the rising Chinese ski market...this will give them a..uhmmm..foothold into the Chinese beginner ski market.

Sponsor