• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Bob

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It was as much a fit design. Think about a 4 buckle boot, the buckles bring the shell to the foot for a more efficient transfer on energy to the ski. Rear entry boots, the shell was more static in shape and used mechanism such as cables or air bladders to contain the foot but it pulled it away from the shell. Some like the very popular Salomon SX series had different flex adjusters. Basicly the ease of exit and entry of the boot was at the cost of efficiency in performance.
New member. At 70 and 69 my wife and I have been skiing our rear entries for 25 years. Salomon SX 83 for me, Raichle 377 for her. Gone through 3 generations of skis, but wouldn't give up our "ultra broken in" boots for anything. As my beat-up feet change over the years, and liners pack down, I just keep using the forefoot, instep and heel hold-down adjustments (and switch to a little heavier snowboard sock). I actually ski more and better now than I did decades ago, and having comfortable, well fitting boots that I can count on has helped as I have moved to new techniques and equipment. Glad to see there may be some good rear entry alternatives if I ever need/want to go new.

atomic_918

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think a lot of us who are into skiing and ski equipment forget that a huge segment of the skiing public just want to get down the slopes and have fun. They’re not concerned with all of the technical stuff behind skis and boots and they’re not likely to shell out the money for upper end equipment. They’re more likely to rent or buy used equipment. This boot may suit their needs.

Also, as someone already mentioned, if this proves successful you’ll see other permutations and combinations of the RE boots. It wouldn’t surprise me if Atomic has the next evolution waiting to go into production.

snowplow86

Booting up
Skier
What Phil said. I skied various SXs for years. My favorite was the Super Force, if I recall correctly. But I always had a challenge getting them to grip my low volume feet. Scott Superhots were great, back in the day. On the other hand, the Salomons were great for me in the bumps at pro mogul speeds.

I have since moved on to a series of Tecnica boots, but to keep from tearful pains when putting them I must use a boot warmer bag during the drive up and plastic boot-horn sleeve. My thoughts for future boots have been oriented toward Full-Tilt (good enough for Bode) or Apex boots. I want both performance and ease, and none of the common 140-flex craziness for all-mountain fun.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Atomic has a presence in the ski world. Think also about Atomic's new owners and the rising Chinese ski market...this will give them a..uhmmm..foothold into the Chinese beginner ski market.
China has 1.2 million skiers and 700 ski resorts. Many of the resorts are on desert hills with man-made snow. As the population prospers some in the ski industry expect a lot of Chinese ski travel. That might be part of the reason for the investment in ski resorts in North America and elsewhere including by Vail Resorts and Alterra. Anta Sports of Jinjian, China, is buying out Amer Sports (Finland), owners of Atomic & Salomon, Wilson, Precor, others.

Rear entry boots-----

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Seeing this thread bumped prompted me to read it in full. Seems like the reception is somewhat underwhelming with Phil confirming "yep they are easy on and off". I know what's unsaid there so are these really a big deal or just another dice roll? What's the order book to rental fleets and bigger box retail looking like? Scores on the doors time surely?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Seeing this thread bumped prompted me to read it in full. Seems like the reception is somewhat underwhelming with Phil confirming "yep they are easy on and off". I know what's unsaid there so are these really a big deal or just another dice roll? What's the order book to rental fleets and bigger box retail looking like? Scores on the doors time surely?

I have yet to the see the Savor boots at any of the main ski shops here in Colorado. I found a few online but not many. I am intrigued by them since a large percentage of destination resort skiers, specially those that only ski a few days each year and are in the higher age rangers could really love these. I know this site is tech and performance oriented but a lot of people just want to have fun while casually cruising groomers comfortably at slowish speeds with their friends and family. Most of them probably ski during the coldest time of year so comfort and warmth, and yes, ease of putting on the boots and taking them off are paramount.

These Atomic Savor boots look quite similar to the old SX's but I suspect that with the great advancements in materials and technology that have happened since the SX was out there they fit and perform MUCH better than any SX ever did.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
As a so-called "senior" skier at age 67, I'm definitely old-school, but I'm not interested in rear-entry boots. I want a boot where the liner and shell conform to my foot, rather than a system that pulls my foot away from the shell to get it into the heel pocket. I like precision, so I still ski in a pair of old-school Nordica Dobermann boots with a custom two-part foam liner and posted orthotic footbeds. They are impossible to put on when cold, so they ride to the ski area in the passenger side footwell. I place them next to a wall heater in the lodge as soon as I get there. Once I am in them, they match my foot perfectly. There is no pain, and I can leave them buckled all day, although walking is no fun.

I did miss skiing last spring when I broke my wrist. I couldn't get the boots on one-handed. I'm not going to buy a different pair of ski boots just for that eventuality, though.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a so-called "senior" skier at age 67, I'm definitely old-school, but I'm not interested in rear-entry boots. I want a boot where the liner and shell conform to my foot, rather than a system that pulls my foot away from the shell to get it into the heel pocket. I like precision, so I still ski in a pair of old-school Nordica Dobermann boots with a custom two-part foam liner and posted orthotic footbeds. They are impossible to put on when cold, so they ride to the ski area in the passenger side footwell. I place them next to a wall heater in the lodge as soon as I get there. Once I am in them, they match my foot perfectly. There is no pain, and I can leave them buckled all day, although walking is no fun.

I did miss skiing last spring when I broke my wrist. I couldn't get the boots on one-handed. I'm not going to buy a different pair of ski boots just for that eventuality, though.
Good for you, you are in a overlap boot for all the right reasons. Not everyone is looking for the performance you are though.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I saw these boots this week. I think that anybody who is excited about them because of their old SX92s is going to be very disappointed.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw these boots this week. I think that anybody who is excited about them because of their old SX92s is going to be very disappointed.
I agree, this is not a replacement for an SX92+ boot.

James

Out There
Instructor
Plenty of good qualities in old cars, then a company makes a new Pinto. Hardly going to get people excited.

Still waiting for a decent performing rear entry Apex killer.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am at the shop for boot appointments and had the good fortune of selling my first Savor today.
The woman was done dealing with 4 buckle boots. She was looking for comfort and easy on/off.

There is definitely a market for this boot.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried these on the other day when picking up my skis after getting them tuned. They were.... interesting. I've never been in a rear entry boot before. They didn't cinch down and feel the way I expected.... but I didn't really try to get fitted or anything.

I asked the shop guys how they were selling, and they said it wasn't bad... mainly certain customers who were really looking for easier on and off.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I played around with it a little more yesterday. I had to put a little more effort into that I would have liked to get the rear snug enough for my chicken leg. For someone who has some mass to their leg, it might be a bit easier. Heel pocket is a little snugger than I expected.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With only skimming through this thread, I must say I’d be totally open to rear entry boots. Fairly new to skiing (13 years) compared to many here, I always wondered why they all but disappeared. Me being mid fifty’s , I am already thinking of moving to a house without stairs. And I know there’s coming a day that rear entry boots would be real nice. I for one would love to see a resurgence in rear entry boots. Hey if I’m still skiing at 65 think I’ll just be glad I’m on top of the snow then underneath it, so performance won’t matter.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why no Gripwalk?
IMHO, Atomic is still licking it's wounds from the WTR / Grpwalk war of 2017 so they are slower to have GW standard on an inline (none hike) boot. There are Grip Walk soles available as an option though.

Sponsor