• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Atomic Bent Chetler 100

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The marketing guys (and gals) at Atomic are no dummies. They know that when they have something good, they need to build on it. So, goodbye to the Backland 102 and hello to the Bent Chetler 100. Atomic is capitalizing on the momentum of the Bent Chetler name; it understands how it rings with the younger generation, so it replaced the 102 with the more youth-oriented BC 100.

With the sizzle out of the way, how is the steak -- or in this case, sirloin? Atomic is pricing the Bent Chetler 100 aggressively at $499, a great value in today's market, and the BC 100 skis well above that price point. It is playful and poppy and a great option for the budget-minded.

Insider tip: Looking to save a few more bucks? Pair the BC 100 with the all-new (and now beefier) Atomic Warden 11.​

Who is it for?
The budget-minded or lightweight skier. The all-around skier looking for a fun, easygoing ski that has the chops to handle most any condition.
Who is it not for?
Chargers can overpower it. If you like to drive your ski, this one is not going to be in your wheelhouse.
Skier ability
  1. Beginner/Novice
  2. Intermediate
  3. Advanced
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
  4. Park/Pipe
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
129.5-100-120
Radius
19.5m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Really versatile ski on and off piste. They ride fast and stable on the Groomer bomber runs and shred nicely in the bumps and trees.

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Picked this up to replace my (ancient) Elan Spires (two sheets of metal) as my go-to all-mountain ski. And at $460 Canadian, a good price. This ski is light and responsive. My 180cms come in at 1700g. With virtually no swing weight, these puppies turn on a dime. Hence a great tree ski. Not bad on groomers due to its pronounced camber underfoot. Not as stable as skis with metal/carbon, but a fraction of the price. Nice tip and tail rocker, together with boat hull technology, mean good float for 100mm underfoot. Semi twin-tip design means skiing switch is a breeze.

By definition an all-mountain ski is a compromise (a bit like an SUV). Wide enough to float in 20cm of fresh snow but narrow enough to carve a turn on hardpack.

This ski ticks many boxes in a very crowded segment of the market.

I have them mounted with a st of Tyrolia Ambition 12 bindings for the occasional side-country trek.

R2-Ski2

Booting up
Skier
Bought this ski two seasons ago to use for trees, powder, carving in the northeast and it didn't disappoint! Paired them with a set of black attack 13s and it performed beautifully. Really got to put them to work on a week long trip to Stowe Mt in VT, and i absolutely loved them. Had a couple days of some heavy snowfall and through the glades and tree runs these skis had alot of float and control for 100mm under foot! Super light and maneuverable on the piste as well, made for some excellent carving edging too. Even off side hits and park runs they did great; lots of pop and control off lips and onto rails. The semi directional construction and tip design do this ski a great service when charging through anything thats not a groomer, with the ability to ride switch very comfortably if you like. Overall love this ski and would def recommend to anyone looking for a great "do anything" option without braking the bank.

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
We went to a local ski shop and they were low on stock for beginner ski's and put me in this Bent Chetler 100 (164) paired with Attack 11. I was a little apprehensive about them being an intermediate/advanced ski but I am growing into them. Excited to see how well they perform once I am I better and more confident skier.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have skied these a few seasons and they do not disappoint. Great on groomers and off-piste. They are stable at speed. Haven't had much of an opportunity to push through powder with them but good on hard pack and groomers. Considering purchasing a pair at some point after renting them for the last 2 seasons on the short trips. I've used the 164's with an unknown binding and never had any issues.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Counterpoint. I skied these on a mostly skied out but still find fresh if you look for it kinda day. On packed surfaces I didn't like it. At all. No redeeming qualities other than they slid. Way too much rocker for me. In unpacked, they were fun-ish, but felt like I was skiing a hammock of a ski. Video review:

Sponsor