• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Armada Tracer 98

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Mink: When I tested the 2018-19 Tracer 98 last year at Mammoth, it was a bluebird day with wonderful groomers. I loved the ski. This year’s conditions weren’t so great. There was a lot of heavy, chopped-up powder, and visibility was marginal. That didn’t stop the Tracer, however. It felt stable and composed, though it did tend to sink at the lower speeds at which I was traveling. (Put a 225-lb guy on a ski like this and that’ll happen!) As soon as I found some groomers, it became obvious the 98 still has carving chops. It is a confidence-inspiring ski.

The main difference between the 18-19 and 19-20 models is the change in Armada’s dampening technology. Last year it used Crystal Mesh to control vibrations, which worked quite well, but Armada changed to Adaptive Mesh, a variable-angle mesh weave, for 2019-20. Instead of remaining a constant size throughout the ski, the new mesh tightens as it goes from tip to under foot, then opens up again. It works quite well and provides a smooth, stable ride. Paired with a revised core construction, the 19-20 version is 12% lighter than the 18-19 ski.

Insider tip: For the bigger skier looking to spend more time off piste, see the Tracer 108.​

Awards
Who is it for?
A stronger, lighter skier who likes to spend a lot of time off piste but needs to get back to the lift sometime. A heavier skier looking for an easy, all-conditions ski.
Who is it not for?
A heavier skier looking for a powder ski.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
133-98-124
Radius
18.5m@188cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

chris1967

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got it in 180. Love it. Easy to bend/slarve but stable as well and super light. Perfect for an advancing intermediate such as me!

Sponsor