• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020/21 Steamboat Ski with a Pug thread

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
its still boggles my brain that she never skied here!
We skied there last year with you. Memory jog: She was on the new Rossi's with the raw Pivot 15's. We were on our way from Winter park to Park City. It was an awful day, we basically took the lift up, had lunch then headed on our way.
IMG_1431.jpeg IMG_1433.jpeg

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
We skied there last year with you. Memory jog: She was on the new Rossi's with the raw Pivot 15's. We were on our way from Winter park to Park City. It was an awful day, we basically took the lift up, had lunch then headed on our way.

Oh yeeessss, but we skied like 15 minutes LOLOLOLOL. that was that stretch of beyond cold days.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 110520 View attachment 110521
To be fair, we can't call what I did as skiing.
IIRC I was managing vertigo, food poisening and the brutal cold temps.
When the picture shows @Philpug wearing a neck gaiter, you know its cold.

Reactions: Ron

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
oh, you were sooooooo sick.
I still don't know what happened, but I hope never to experience that again.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @Ron, I'm wondering how many days to budget in my itinerary for Steamboat. Let's say I have a week (7 days) to ski, my inclination is to 3-4 days at Steamboat and maybe try Winter Park/MJ for a day or two, and/or Copper for a day or two.
I could see staying in Steamboat the whole week, that said this is my first time skiing in CO.

I'm looking at making reservations at the Worldmark, and could also stay in Granby (which also has a Worldmark) for a few days.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are staying in Granby you may as well ski Winter Park at least one day. Granby is between the two but much much closer to WP, which itself is on the way to the Boat. Granby has really come alive as a tiny town in the last couple of years. Just watch the weather. Rabbit Ears pass can be awful in blowing snow.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are staying in Granby you may as well ski Winter Park at least one day. Granby is between the two but much much closer to WP, which itself is on the way to the Boat. Granby has really come alive as a tiny town in the last couple of years. Just watch the weather. Rabbit Ears pass can be awful in blowing snow.
Well that was the idea, there wouldn't be any point to relocate from Steamboat to Granby if I wasn't planning to go to WP. I mean I could just stay at Steamboat for the whole week.

As far as "on the way to the Boat", I'm actually road tripping from the PNW, so would be coming through ID/UT, maybe spend a day or so skiing there, and then drive East on I-80. After the Boat and wherever else, then it's the Aspen Gathering, before heading back home, so I probably won't go through Denver at all. I'm not planning to experience the joys of I-70 on a busy ski day.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn’t advise commuting between granny and steamboat for all the things said above and even on a day with clear roads it’s going To be over an hour each way. (closer to 1.5hrs). Try to eliminate rabbit ears pass if at all possible. You can certainly hit all three mountains. I really like copper, it has a lot of great terrain.

y

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
ok, I see your post, Gotcha. Staying in steamboat.

wp is 2 hrs on a good day, 40 near granby can be nasty so just pick your WP days. Copper is 1.45 from steamboat again on a clear road day.
both require going over rabbit ears so just be careful.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or you could just stay in Steamboat and do a day with the PowderCats, if they are running. I love WP/MJ (it is our 2nd home mountain) but not sure it is worth the extra drive east unless you are aching to do the famous bumps.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK thanks.

So, I’ll either stay the whole week in Steamboat, and ski Steamboat, maybe with a PowderCats day, or
Stay the whole time In Steamboat with maybe a Rabbit Ears -defying drive or two to Copper (and I know there’s an alternate route on Hwy 131, or
Stay 4 days in Steamboat, ski Steamboat, then drive in (good weather of course) to Granby and spend a few nights there to ski WP/MJ and Copper, since I wouldn’t have to drive Rabbit Ears to get to Copper from Granby.

Glad I’ve got it narrowed down a bit. ;)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha. All those would be good. But FYI you have Berthoud pass between WP and Copper unless you take a dirt road (or was last time I took it) from Kremling to I70.

All the passes are doable by the way. Just Rabbir Ears can be white out in blowing snow. Berthoud is steep but has been improved and is usually well plowed. It can close due to avalanche danger though.

Sounds like a great trip whichever you do!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I look forward to seeing ya! Fwiw. The 131 route would take over 2 hours on a good day to copper. Its not really a good option. If conditions are that bad 131 can be equally as bad. Its wide open subject to drifting and has no cell coverage. The mini pass at state bridge area can be dicey. Rabbit ears is fine as long as the weathers clear.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Btw. Not sure what powdercats is doing. Not sure how you sit in an enclosed cat for several hours safely with others you dont know. Maybe theyll get a rapid test thats reliable by then. They are good people and do a great job. I hope they can figure something out.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. FWIW I’ll be driving my Subie Forester with snow tires, and I haven’t had any accidents, though maybe a few speeding tickets. I’m good driving through through most conditions. I know enough to allow plenty of time.

OTOH, if there’s blowing snow over Rabbit Ears, I might as well just stay at Steamboat, right? ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online