• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Volkl Kendo, Stockli SR 95, Kastle fx95hp

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
OK,
maybe a comparison, but I've reviewed and discussed the SR 95 and FX95 more than once, and just got on the new Volkl Kendo yesterday, and then skied it back to back w/ my other favorites today...

Me, 5ft 11, 160, finesse skier, ski at slow to moderate pace, mostly off piste, natural snow, bumps, but skied in a rounder low impact style, psia level 3 (20 yrs ago)

Snow, thin, but cold, some ice, chunks and funk, odd shaped bumps.

First off, skies are so darn good these days! I love all these skis, they are all total winners, just a matter of what you want to feel and where you want to feel it!

Kendo, 177,
I have been a volkl tennis "vip" teaching pro for the last 25 yrs, and my buddy who runs company and really wants me to ski on their skis, but I've never really bonded. I always figured they were designed for 2 things, heavier people then me, or faster skiers, probably both!
but,
This kendo is great!
when it arrived, it looked too straight, felt too stiff and was a bit longer then expected (measures about 180, but more contact then my 181 fx95),
but,
it didn't ski too long, too straight or too stiff, it was just sweet. Bends up nicely, but springs back with a smile not a snarl, holds very well, gave good feedback, enjoyed "shaped" turns, carved turns and pivot edgeset turns.
I think anyone who likes to bend a ski, feel a slightly more traditional feel, but with a bit of new tech to add to the ease of use.

Compared to others, it almost falls between these two others, not as easy as kastle, easier then SR, but not as exciting.

the FX is the honey do ski, it is just so fun, predictable and easy in funky terrain, and great!
It carves well, just not super exciting as the delay in the tip and 20m radius mean you have to bend it and add something to shorten up the radius if you want more g's. That said, I love this tip when carving fast turns through broken pow and rough groomers on new snow days. it never hooks and deflects on funky piles.

The SR is more rewarding/exciting, but also more demanding, in the 175, it's the shortest of the bunch, also the shapliest at 17.2m radius, with a lot of that shape in the tail, so you get that kick, but that kick can also be punishment... with that length and shape, and the torsional rigidity, this skis is the most fun in the groomer access back to the lift, but also the most demanding in the 3d conditions.

Anyway, all amazing skis! I wanted a clear cut path, and I thought maybe I'd keep the kendo as my lower tide ski, and probably the fx 95 as my new snow ski and get rid of the SR, but now I'm not sure. darn it. For a big mt, like my 8-10 runs a day on KT, the Fx95 would win for sure, the mountain, steeps and big bumps are exciting, I want the ski to do it's job well, and never surprise me. For Northstar, where I ski a lot now with it being 7min from my house and no traffic, the SR 95 is probably best, as smaller bumps, and more groomer turns on the run outs. For a super do everything well ski narrow enough to not fatigue knees but wide enough so it doesn't trench out in broken snow, the Kendo fills so many niche's... what to do, what to do... whew.

Cheers!
W

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I don't know. I sometimes have a hard time deciding which ski to use and they are 10mm apart. Three this close would drive me crazy.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Demo the sr95 last season. Felt like a fat SL. Tighter turns than the sr88. Takes a while to go from edge to edge.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
So many options, so little time...

Once kastle steps up, I will have my dedicated hard snow ski back, my mx 74,

When I say fun on groomers, I mean access groomers to get me back to the lift. I don't really ski groomers, even in low snow, I wander in the natural snow and shapes almost all the time. I don't ride bikes on the road either...

I was hoping to give more insight into these skis for anyone looking more than I was looking for advice, but thanks!

After another day on all three, I think I may keep the Kendo. It could be a mess w/ my friend who loaned me the others to test, but I just don't know if I need anything else. I may even sell my mx 74 when it's replaced.

cheers!
W

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks very much. Great insight. The Kendo must have changed a lot for you to appreciate it so.
I loved the MX 74 when I demoed it, both times, so I can appreciate your use of that ski.

Just this summer I got a second hand pair of unused 183 SR 95s (16/17) "new on the self," and I appreciate the guidance about just how to use this ski.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Wade, Kastle and Stockli were always winners in the damping department, those "premium construction" skis were always quieter than their "mass construction" brethren. Have things changed?

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I loved last years monster, tried to buy it but they were all gone.
I haven't skied the new one, but I rarely get along w/ that extra tip flare they added, as my stance is pretty narrow and really wide tips are argumentative.

Alexzn, of these 3 skis, Stockli by far most damp, kastle and volkl similar, a big part of why I'm drawn to the volkl is the more steered to an edgeset turn is quite rewarding on it and early season, hard snow, that shorter turn is something I focus on, as it's not my strength. The extra shape of the stockli lends itself to my strength, the kastle is super forgiving and super fun, and the volkl skis more traditional, better for the early season hard snow and pinpoint turns in hard bumps with lots of rocks... I will probably keep the fx95 as it is tried and true and I love skiing it in new snow as much as any pow ski I"ve ever owned.

and if my 74 comes back as a warranty, it can still fit... maybe.

Cheers!
W

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wade, when you were testing / eyeballing last year's Monster 83 were you leaning towards the 170 or 177 ?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
They are pretty easy to find for cheap online.

I may pick up another pair of 177cm Monsters 83 for new online. When I got my pair I only paid like 250 dollar with binding new in late 2017.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
My strategy is to pick out 2 or 3 similar skis I am interested in and follow them online over time until a great price comes up and pull the trigger. If you do this you can get a ski and binding combo at half the price of walking in a shop. More and more the top 2 contenders in any category are so good and close you will be happy with either. Manufacturing techniques have gotten so precise that individual ski manufacturers no longer have a qualitative edge over the other. You can have personnel preferences but top ski differences can barely be felt by non racers in blind tests. Skis have gotten that good.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Arl, I liked the monster 88 in a 177 last year.

thx Josh,

whmts, thx for the thought. I do believe skis are really good right now, but I"ve been testing for shops for 20 plus years, and still really only bond w/ "germanic" skis. I haven't found a french ski I have liked. Stockli, kastle, head, volkl, fisher, blizzard, nordica, all solid imo. Dynastar, rossi, solomon, never felt right to me. Maybe a little nationalistic, but I may have picked that up in the early 90's when I taught a season in austria and the other instructors would only ski on skis from their home country. I was skiing a Authier Pirmin Zurbriggen ski, and as an american, they are couldn't believe I didn't ski K2... funny world.

Cheers!
W

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wadeholiday.....I agree with your love of Germanic skis.....They have a certain solid feel I prefer and I think their quality control is more consistent.....however but it might be all in our heads because its difficult to measure. If you look at FIS ski racing for example, historically the skier and their team is more important than the brand of skis, boots and gear they use. The best skiers win whatever brand they are on.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Just this summer I got a second hand pair of unused 183 SR 95s (16/17) "new on the self," and I appreciate the guidance about just how to use this ski.

Tip it and rip it. It's a great soft groomer and light fresh snow ski and will still venture off piste OK, but it lacks playfulness of a more powder oriented ski. It loves making all kinds of turn shapes, has superb feedback and edge hold. Where it really excels is cut up junk and spring glop, it just eats it right up and asks for seconds.

I've toyed with selling mine, but I know once the hills turn to granular piles and spring conditions I'll miss it on my local hills. For now, it's my travel ski paired with Head Titans.

Oh and Wade, I love my V Sense 8! I just need to find one with a larger grip.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
"Oh and Wade, I love my V Sense 8! I just need to find one with a larger grip." great racket, many of the teaching pros on my 4.5 team play w/ that one. I had a 4 3/8 demo but sold it at the end of the season. I'm a v1 pro guy... actually was part of the design, my buddy give me 60% of the credit for that racket... whatever that means. Love to tweak and feel, be it rackets, skis or mt bikes...

whtmt,
I don't disagree w/ your thoughts on the world cup skis, but I did find Bode Miller's commentary interesting last year. He kept talking about the skis and saying which guys didn't have a shot on a certain course due to one ski or the other and pointed out strengths of weakness of the different brands.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Wadeholiday.....I agree with your love of Germanic skis.....They have a certain solid feel I prefer and I think their quality control is more consistent.....however but it might be all in our heads because its difficult to measure. If you look at FIS ski racing for example, historically the skier and their team is more important than the brand of skis, boots and gear they use. The best skiers win whatever brand they are on.

I don't want to derail this thread on the comparison of these skis, but you cannot compare FIS race skis from certain brands to anything else they produce for the recreational skier. FIS race skis all follow a similar basic formula for their construction layups. Those designs have little to do with what they produce in their recreational line-ups, EXCEPT for Stockli. Stockli provides "accessible" world cup construction for their consumer skis (although somewhat "relaxed" from their full-on race ready brethren).

So basically I disagree with your assertion that all the top skis from different manufacturers, feel and ski the same. That has not been my experience at all.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't believe the Kendo has changed since 2016.
Volkl added the tip rocker in 2013. In 2016 they widen the ski to 90 mm underfoot and added tail rocker. The tail rocker makes the ski much friendlier in bumps.
Volkl usually stagger the "updates" between the Mantra and Kendo. Mantra first, Kendo with a "similar" update the following year.
The Kendo line is probably due for a make over next year that is similar to new Mantra M5 this year.

Sponsor