• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Coming M4 or M5 better for east coast skier who takes a few trips west? Made the decision on first ski in quiver and landed on Deacon 74

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
I went with Deacon 76 Pro Black in 181cm paired with Lange RX 130. Shipment will arrive still this week. Will report back in 1-2 weeks how they feel.

Reactions: Ron

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Crosspost from SkiEssentials review:

Looking for thoughts on length, 177 or 184. I'm 5'10, 200+ pound aggressive blah blah...love to haul ass but also love carving both short and long turns. I'm carving 95% of the time if the snow/run allows. East coast based, few trips west. Am leaning toward the 177 but would be interested in your thoughts. Also curious about this ski vs the Vwerks version?

James

Out There
Instructor

Looking for thoughts on length, 177 or 184. I'm 5'10, 200+ pound aggressive blah blah...love to haul ass but also love carving both short and long turns. I'm carving 95% of the time if the snow/run allows. East coast based, few trips west. Am leaning toward the 177 but would be interested in your thoughts. Also curious about this ski vs the Vwerks version?
What ski, the M5?
I'm about your size, the 184 was a pretty good length. Didn't feel big. Didn't try the 177.
One should demo the M5. I loved half of the ski.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
What ski, the M5?
I'm about your size, the 184 was a pretty good length. Didn't feel big. Didn't try the 177.
One should demo the M5. I loved half of the ski.

Yes sorry the M5. Unfortunately no place to demo around where I am. Only place I'd be able to is when I go to the NE or out west.....that's an option but i'd rather be locked and loaded so if there's a big snow dump I drive up to ski it I'm ready to go.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
High speed, open terrain - 184.
Bumps, trees - 177.

Reactions: Ron

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
What are the factory edges on the deacon pro?
Base: 0.8°
Side: 87.6°

Find both values ok, but I think about going even more extreme like 0.6° with 87° or 86°.
I got the 181 Deacon 76 Pro with 240lbs packed. It was 100% the right decision to go Pro and to go 181. I prefer GS race style riding (former racer).
The ski still has a light tip and tail rocker, so even at that 181 length it is fairly ok to do short/medium turns, riding slow takes some force, riding fast is pure joy.
So to conclude given your weight and height, you could consider the 176 76, or 178 74 if you prefer a bit more short/medium turn capability. If long turn performance/speed is most important to you then go 181 76.

I wonder why you considered the M5? It is an allmountain-freeride-offpiste-powder ski with 96 width...
The deacon is a racing-allmountain-piste ski with 74/76 width.
So if you go 80% piste then go deacon, if you go 80% offpiste powder then go M5.

Reilly McGlashan also personally recommended the Pro in 181 (76) or 178 (74) to me. (youtube him... he knows how to ski and also rides this ski as an alround ski)

"QUOTE:
My message: It would be great to get your opinion on the Völkl Deacon 76 Pro 181 with R19,4.I am 36 years, 180cm/5ft11, 110kg/240lbs packed, former competitive youth GS racer, and look for a long turn piste ski that is not a pure ~67mm GS race carver. I want something more versatile and a bit more relaxed, that I can ride all day without my legs exploding, but also capable of fast on ice. Would this ski be a good fit, or look elsewhere?
His reply:This ski sounds exactly like what you are after. This is what it is made for. At your size and weight it also sounds like you have picked the right length and the pro version of the 74 or 76 would be good either way. I am sure you will love them. I do really enjoy skiing mine!"

Last edited:

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Base: 0.8°
Side: 87.6°

Find both values ok, but I think about going even more extreme like 0.6° with 87° or 86°.
I got the 181 Deacon 76 Pro with 240lbs packed. It was 100% the right decision to go Pro and to go 181. I prefer GS race style riding (former racer).
The ski still has a light tip and tail rocker, so even at that 181 length it is fairly ok to do short/medium turns, riding slow takes some force, riding fast is pure joy.
So to conclude given your weight and height, you could consider the 176 76, or 178 74 if you prefer a bit more short/medium turn capability. If long turn performance/speed is most important to you then go 181 76.

I wonder why you considered the M5? It is an allmountain-freeride-offpiste-powder ski with 96 width...
The deacon is a racing-allmountain-piste ski with 74/76 width.
So if you go 80% piste then go deacon, if you go 80% offpiste powder then go M5.

Reilly McGlashan also personally recommended the Pro in 181 (76) or 178 (74) to me. (youtube him... he knows how to ski and also rides this ski as an alround ski)

"QUOTE:
My message: It would be great to get your opinion on the Völkl Deacon 76 Pro 181 with R19,4.I am 36 years, 180cm/5ft11, 110kg/240lbs packed, former competitive youth GS racer, and look for a long turn piste ski that is not a pure ~67mm GS race carver. I want something more versatile and a bit more relaxed, that I can ride all day without my legs exploding, but also capable of fast on ice. Would this ski be a good fit, or look elsewhere?
His reply:This ski sounds exactly like what you are after. This is what it is made for. At your size and weight it also sounds like you have picked the right length and the pro version of the 74 or 76 would be good either way. I am sure you will love them. I do really enjoy skiing mine!"

I was considering the both the M5 and the Deacon Pro...ended up going with both :) I went with the 177/178 given that I like the option for smallish turns and ski east coast a fair amount. I'm about 200-210 pounds loaded up. Assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the tune that comes on the pro is decent enough...will hopefully be skiing them this weekend.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
Does anybody know how to adjust the AFD height under the forefoot on a Marker Xcell 16 that comes with the Deacon Pro?
I have a Lange RX130 with BI-material pads (Grip walk compatible but no grip walk sole ex factory, grip walk can be upgraded... looks ex factory like this: http://cdn.lange-boots.com/uploads/cache/1200x430/uploads/medias/bimaterial_pads.jpg)
I know that the Xcell bindings are not grip walk compatible, but I also dont want a full grip walk sole... I just want to fit the standard bi-material sole that comes with the RX130 to the binding. However, I cannot find any screw to set the AFD height on Xcell 16.
Currently the shoe fits into the binding, but it is not possible to slide a piece of paper under and out, so I guess its too tight, hence I like to lower the AFD plate, or increase the front binding grip height, which ever is possible. Please dont tell me it's not possible at all :)
Your help is very much appreciated!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anybody know how to adjust the AFD height under the forefoot on a Marker Xcell 16 that comes with the Deacon Pro?
I have a Lange RX130 with BI-material pads (Grip walk compatible but no grip walk sole ex factory, grip walk can be upgraded... looks ex factory like this: http://cdn.lange-boots.com/uploads/cache/1200x430/uploads/medias/bimaterial_pads.jpg)
I know that the Xcell bindings are not grip walk compatible, but I also dont want a full grip walk sole... I just want to fit the standard bi-material sole that comes with the RX130 to the binding. However, I cannot find any screw to set the AFD height on Xcell 16.
Currently the shoe fits into the binding, but it is not possible to slide a piece of paper under and out, so I guess its too tight, hence I like to lower the AFD plate, or increase the front binding grip height, which ever is possible. Please dont tell me it's not possible at all :)
Your help is very much appreciated!
Xcell system bindings are auto adjust, With the sliding AFD, you are fine.

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
Thats good news :) phu! I just realized the front mechanism has some horizontal play (~1-2mm), when you press on the tip of the front binding. I guess thats the "auto adjust" then.
Thanks Phil.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the tune that comes on the pro is decent enough...will hopefully be skiing them this weekend.

do yourself a favor and at the very least, have the shop check the base and edges. IMHO, all skis should be inspected and tuned where needed out of the wrapper. Very few skis are actually tuned correctly from the manufacturer.

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
do yourself a favor and at the very least, have the shop check the base and edges. IMHO, all skis should be inspected and tuned where needed out of the wrapper. Very few skis are actually tuned correctly from the manufacturer.
I ran 88° 2nd Cut file on mine, and it took significant material off the side, so I doubt the factory 87,6° are even true... Somehwere I read, that ex factory the machines cannot run a consistent edge angle along the whole ski edge length due to technical limitations, so tuning by hand is always required. not sure if that is really true.
Ex factory the edges where not really sharp either, but I guess that's standard.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
factory tune doesn't mean thats the best edge/base designed for a ski. You can put whatever you want on any ski. if it were me, I would run 1:3 on the deacon and a 1:2 on the M5 for starters and have the bases checked and evened out. I def' wouldn't ski either pair without a good waxing.

The factory limitations thing is not true and machines can do a very accurate tune. Without getting too deep in th weeds, new skis present challenges to accurate tunes and I know of no manufacturer prepping all skis accurately. Its an expectation of the consumer that is unrealistic. Sorry folks but either negotiate a new ski prep as part of the deal when you buy a new ski or willingly pay for it but understand that your new ski most likely is not tuned correctly.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I was considering the both the M5 and the Deacon Pro...ended up going with both :) I went with the 177/178 given that I like the option for smallish turns and ski east coast a fair amount. I'm about 200-210 pounds loaded up. Assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the tune that comes on the pro is decent enough...will hopefully be skiing them this weekend.
Did you ski them?

Sponsor