• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:eek:... Can anyone share their opinions on how the Deacon compares to the outgoing Code? With some old stock kicking around at a reasonable discount, I am wondering if the Deacon’s is just a rebranded code with nominally different curves and a new ski smell.
The Deacon is an all new animal. I will say that the Codes are a great ski and if they are what you want...grab them.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Still paralyzed by indecision here. Feel like if I get the RaceTiger i'll also want the Deacon, but if I start with the Deacon I'll want the race tiger, too :(

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Still paralyzed by indecision here. Feel like if I get the RaceTiger i'll also want the Deacon, but if I start with the Deacon I'll want the race tiger, too :(
Racetiger - you have to decide SL or GS (or both).
Deacon is kinda between SL and GS, still a tiny bit wide though for hardpack, and not nearly wide enough for deep snow.
Also consider Fischer The Curve, and Stokli Laser SX..:drool:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Racetiger - you have to decide SL or GS (or both).
Deacon is kinda between SL and GS, still a tiny bit wide though for hardpack, and not nearly wide enough for deep snow.
Also consider Fischer The Curve, and Stokli Laser SX..:drool:

I can sympathize with this part, full race or cheater race, or both.
I myself eventually (over 4-5 years) got both, and don't regret it. They are very different in feel. Enough to enjoy alternating them. And they both make groomers almost as fun, if not as fun, as powder, to me.

(Any of the top brand's 180/r18s will do this wonderfully also, by the way, in my experience: WRC Firebirds, Curv, Head 180/18 Rebel WC iSpeeds and ISpeed Pros, Stockli Laser GS c. 180/18s; also the various 185/23-25s. You can't really go wrong here. Just different.)

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
I can sympathize with this part, full race or cheater race, or both.
I myself eventually (over 4-5 years) got both, and don't regret it. They are very different in feel. Enough to enjoy alternating them. And they both make groomers almost as fun, if not as fun, as powder, to me.

(Any of the top brand's 180/r18s will do this wonderfully also, by the way, in my experience: WRC Firebirds, Curv, Head 180/18 Rebel WC iSpeeds and ISpeed Pros, Stockli Laser GS c. 180/18s; also the various 185/23-25s. You can't really go wrong here. Just different.)

Do you find the cheater-race being "fun" enough? Particularly on east-coast style skiing?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
At 150 lbs I find my Fischer WC SCs fun enough, but they are an older stiffer model. I would find a full on FIS Fischer less fun when I'm not skiing at 10 10ths. At 180 lbs or more FIS is the way to go if you like to feel the g forces or feel the need for speed. You need at least a gs if you feel the need for speed, and your hill has more than 300 feet of vertical. A gs won't work for sl turns and a sl doesn't cut it for gs turns at speed.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This seriously a question for a friend, who wants a pair of Volkl's latest GS cheaters. Has a business relationship and can get a comp'd {free} pair. What is the 2018-2019 model called?
I'm good, a few pairs of Head i.Speed's. And yes, I can have a lot of fun on them, and do.

Thanks!

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Question for @Philpug : with the Xcell bindings given they'd be going on a plate, is that something I can install myself or does a shop need to do it?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This seriously a question for a friend, who wants a pair of Volkl's latest GS cheaters. Has a business relationship and can get a comp'd {free} pair. What is the 2018-2019 model called?
I'm good, a few pairs of Head i.Speed's. And yes, I can have a lot of fun on them, and do.

Thanks!

If someone can answer your question definitively, please do. But in answer to your question, currently - short answer: various Racetiger and then a jump to Deacon. (I re-checked this at their website, etc.)

Long answer: From their website, Volkl seems to lack some of the different levels of race and near race skis that, say, Head, has. Instead, first there are the Racetiger FIS skis (including all skis sanctioned at different levels of competition).

Second, Head has another, non-sanction, "team" level of race skis that are softer, that have radii that are close to the sanctioned models, and maybe Volkl has these too, though I couldn't find them online.

Third, there follows with Head and others the also non-sanctioned lower radius versions (e.g. 184/c. r 20). I think these are partly what the following Volkl skis are too - a level of softer, non-sanctioned, lower radius (beer league?) race skis, the Racetigers Pro SL and GS and then Racetiger non-Pro SL and GS (with and without a race plate and race bindings respectively); for example, the GS in lengths 184 (r 20.6), 180 (19.4) 175 (18.3) (and 170/17.1 - in the non- Pro only).
( "Speedwall" in the name of the Volkl race skis, at least below FIS specs, has been dropped.)

Then fourth, Volkl jumps to Deacons, according to their website again (74 & 76, 74 Pro and 76 Pro, "Pro" again meaning race plate). In terms of ski width and radius, these Deacons seem to be between the Head Supershape iSpeeds and the Supershape Rally, more frontside/race-like than the Rally. But wider than the iSpeeds. (With Volkl there also may seem to be nothing comparable to the Head World Cup Rebel iSpeeds and iSpeed Pros, but the above mentioned Racetiger Pros and non-Pros may very well be similar.)

Fifth, Volkl also has "entry" levels of SL and GS skis, the Racetiger SC and Racetiger RC. These are in addition to Jr. models.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question for @Philpug : with the Xcell bindings given they'd be going on a plate, is that something I can install myself or does a shop need to do it?
You can install them yourself but you should have an ASTM test done on them.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi @Tricia -

My wife is looking to swap her three year old Kenjas for a new pair of Secrets - anything she should keep in mind (pros / cons of making the switch)? Thnx!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
On the Kanjo if the ski is straight and stiff, it just sounds like narrow Kendo, not a less strong kendo.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the Kanjo if the ski is straight and stiff, it just sounds like narrow Kendo, not a less strong kendo.
The Kanjo is a narrower Kendo in shape. It is scaled in flex though, being slightly softer.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
bummer....

Sounded like a winner till I heard softer.

Sponsor

Staff online